Adrian Gonzalez.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Adrian Gonzalez.

Um... Right now it's top of the 6th, Lackey is gettin' going and Adrian Gonzalez is 3-3 Single, Double, Homerun. He's batting .354, 15 Homeruns, and 62 RBI's. Right now I'm thinking, up to this point (I just turned 19), have I ever seen a hitter in a Sox uniform better? I remember Manny, will never forget, he was clutch to the max and always got the big hits when it mattered. I remember Papi at his best where being unstoppable in the players was only the half of it. But thinking back, those were the best in the last 18 years. From 92' on there was Mo Vaughn who was amazing, I can still slightly remember his last season. But I believe Adrian is better. Then There was Nomar, who was also good, but Adrian just rakes constantly. 

So do you think Adrian is the best hitter in the last 20 years for the Sox, or do you think its Mo Vaughn, or Manny, or possibly Ortiz. Remember to take into consideration that I said hitter and not "the most clutch" or "most homeruns" but overall.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez.

He scuffles here and there, but overall, he's alright.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

Manny is the best hitter I've ever seen. Granted, I'm only 30. Adrian is a machine, and maybe he'll be better than Manny in the end, but it's too early to even compare him in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Manny was a product of the Dominican Jungle juice with no glove, poor attitude and no respect for his teammates or the game.

Agon is a well liked team player that happens to be an amazing Gold Glove, MVP candidate with no baggage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I think that AGon is the real thing. Manny played very well for us, but it is fact that he was a juicer, no differant than ARod. AGon has gotten off to a great start and looks like he will have a great season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

you just said the same thing I said, but with different words....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's early but it looks like acquiring Gonzalez may go down as one of the very best moves in franchise history.  Kudos to Epstein and the FO for getting it done.  They paid a big price but this guy is something special.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Amen and amen!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez.:
    [QUOTE]Manny was a product of the Dominican Jungle juice with no glove, poor attitude and no respect for his teammates or the game. Agon is a well liked team player that happens to be an amazing Gold Glove, MVP candidate with no baggage.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I agree.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Adrian Gonzalez.:
    [QUOTE]Um... Right now it's top of the 6th, Lackey is gettin' going and Adrian Gonzalez is 3-3 Single, Double, Homerun. He's batting .354, 15 Homeruns, and 62 RBI's. Right now I'm thinking, up to this point (I just turned 19), have I ever seen a hitter in a Sox uniform better? I remember Manny, will never forget, he was clutch to the max and always got the big hits when it mattered. I remember Papi at his best where being unstoppable in the players was only the half of it. But thinking back, those were the best in the last 18 years. From 92' on there was Mo Vaughn who was amazing, I can still slightly remember his last season. But I believe Adrian is better. Then There was Nomar, who was also good, but Adrian just rakes constantly.  So do you think Adrian is the best hitter in the last 20 years for the Sox, or do you think its Mo Vaughn, or Manny, or possibly Ortiz. Remember to take into consideration that I said hitter and not "the most clutch" or "most homeruns" but overall.
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

AGON is known as a "professional hitter."  Manny was one too and you come across these guys once in a lifetime.  When Gonzales was 15 he was playing in a Mexican league against men 25 and 35 years old.  MLB pitching is no big deal for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez.:
    [QUOTE]Manny was a product of the Dominican Jungle juice with no glove, poor attitude and no respect for his teammates or the game. Agon is a well liked team player that happens to be an amazing Gold Glove, MVP candidate with no baggage.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Right. I know. I'm not talking about any of the facts around Manny's hitting. I wouldn't dream of defending him as a person, or a teammate. But the guy could hit. And if you think he could only hit because of the juice then you are crazy. He was an amazing hitter, juice or not. The rest of that stuff is a seperate discussion. How about we let Adrian play at least a full season before we start comparing him to the all-time great sox hitters?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Career Road OPS:
    Manny  .989
    Adrian  .949

From ages 27 to 29 OPS+
    Manny    ~172
    Adrian    ~160

Road OPS+ ages 27 to 29
    Manny   194   189   176
    Adrian   181   175   187

I assume Manny was on roids at 27, therefore I give slight edge to Adrian.