Adrian Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Adrian Gonzalez

Does anyone have any concerns about Agon recovering from the HR contest? So far 0 for 8. He does not look good. His swing right now looks tired and worn out. Does anyone think he should not have been in the HR contest? Granted he did hit a HR in the ASG but than who cares. Sox pay him too much money for that stupid HR contest. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: Adrian Gonzalez

In Response to Adrian Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any concerns about Agon recovering from the HR contest? So far 0 for 8. He does not look good. His swing right now looks tired and worn out. Does anyone think he should not have been in the HR contest? Granted he did hit a HR in the ASG but than who cares. Sox pay him too much money for that stupid HR contest. 
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you brought this up, I intended to put up a thread pre-HR Derby, looking at participants and their production after the Derby. I seem to recall Bobby Abreu going into the toilet after his massive HR Derby output of 41 in 2005, he entered the game with 18, and hit just 6 more the rest of the season.
     The better strategy may have been to have Ortiz load up the team with Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Hi Jim,

I think that if he had approached the HR derby with a violent, un-Gonzalez-like swing then I'd be more worried.  He didn't vary his swing at all, and right now I just think he's a bit rusty.  His swing during the derby was smooth and easy.  He'll be back soon. 

But I think he made his first error of the season today (being in NY, I had to watch the Mets game).  And Pedey is beginning to knock the heck out of the ball.  He had two doubles and a HR last night, and at least another HR today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Adrian Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any concerns about Agon recovering from the HR contest? So far 0 for 8. He does not look good. His swing right now looks tired and worn out. Does anyone think he should not have been in the HR contest? Granted he did hit a HR in the ASG but than who cares. Sox pay him too much money for that stupid HR contest. 
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

Not worried one bit!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

The thing to be concerned about is that he has only hit 2 HRs since June 17.  That is long before the HR contest.  He may be tiring some, as all players do.  That is the main reason the Sox (and in particular Francona) like to give players days off from time to time during the season.  But the 0-8 is just one of those things.  Happens all the time to all players.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I seem to recall Bobby Abreu going into the toilet after his massive HR Derby output of 41 in 2005, he entered the game with 18, and hit just 6 more the rest of the season.

come on youk

1 guy isn't much of a %

guys have lesser 2nd 1/2's all the time

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez:
    [QUOTE]I seem to recall Bobby Abreu going into the toilet after his massive HR Derby output of 41 in 2005, he entered the game with 18, and hit just 6 more the rest of the season. come on youk 1 guy isn't much of a % guys have lesser 2nd 1/2's all the time
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Zac, yeah you're right. I didn't do the research, and that's why I didn't start the thread. My general sense, unscientific though it is, is that the HR-D is not good for sluggers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Actually, during the HR contest they put up a graphic of derby winners, and there was very little evidence of a slow down after the break.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Let's work it the other way, has there been a HR-D participant that went on a tear after the exhibition? Can a guy "find" his stroke in that venue? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

who knows youk you might be right

I remember ken griffey jr

used it for an excuse not to particapate

but as far as the OP goes............. it's only been 2 games

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

David Wright 2006,  Derby result 22
    Pre HR-D  20
    Post HR-D  6

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Stats do support this a bit, but I think it's about the same argument that any video game cover boy gets injured that year. 

Really specious reasoning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Josh Hamilton 2008, Derby result 35
    Pre HR-D   21
    Post HR-D 11

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Stats do support this a bit, but I think it's about the same argument that any video game cover boy gets injured that year.  Really specious reasoning.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

LOL. Not exactly, a guy gets jacked up by the crowd, swings for the fences and sees the result, and thinks, hmm, if I do that duing a game...$$$. That's very different than a cause/connection to video games covers. Again, I haven't done the numbers, but I really can't think of when it helped a player, can you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Justin Morneau 2008, Derby result 22
    Pre HR-D 14
    Post HR-D  9

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Justin Morneau 2008, Derby result 22 Pre HR-D 14 Post HR-D  9
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]

Prince Fielder 2009 Derby result 23
     Pre HR-D   22
     Post HR-D  24

He beat the curse!, notice that he maintained, it certainly didn't help him any. He also had a unbelievable September, hitting 10 pressure loaded bombs in that month.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Hanley Ramirez, 2010 Derby result 26.
    Pre HR-D 13
    Post HR-D  8

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez :  LOL. Not exactly, a guy gets jacked up by the crowd, swings for the fences and sees the result, and thinks, hmm, if I do that duing a game...$$$. That's very different than a cause/connection to video games covers. Again, I haven't done the numbers, but I really can't think of when it helped a player, can you?

Not really sure.  What were Ryan Howard's numbers after the Derby he won?  You're right, though.  Some of these guys get crazy jacked up about being in this competition.  But being the Madden cover man pays pretty well, too.

I guess I'd rather see Gonzo hit singles and doubles with men on base than see him hit 40+ HRs without men on base.  But of the players who didn't hit that many HRs after the Derby, I'd like to see what their  RBI count was in the second half regardless of the HR output.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

David Ortiz 2010 Derby result 32
     Pre HR-D  18
     Post HR-D  14

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Adrian Gonzalez :  I'm glad you brought this up, I intended to put up a thread pre-HR Derby, looking at participants and their production after the Derby. I seem to recall Bobby Abreu going into the toilet after his massive HR Derby output of 41 in 2005, he entered the game with 18, and hit just 6 more the rest of the season.  The better strategy may have been to have Ortiz load up the team with Yankees.

Cano is 4-13 since the break.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adrian Gonzalez : Not really sure.  What were Ryan Howard's numbers after the Derby he won?  You're right, though.  Some of these guys get crazy jacked up about being in this competition.  But being the Madden cover man pays pretty well, too. I guess I'd rather see Gonzo hit singles and doubles with men on base than see him hit 40+ HRs without men on base.  But of the players who didn't hit that many HRs after the Derby, I'd like to see what their  RBI count was in the second half regardless of the HR output.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]
     Ryan Howard hit 28 before the game and 30 after, so he was consistent, as was Fielder. It starting to look like Howard and Fielder, bonafide sluggers, didn't get caught up in the buzz.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

They put up the numbers during the derby, of how players performed before and after the Derby. The numbers were exactly the same. Gonzalez is a great hitter and recover, not struggle because of a few Home Runs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Gonzalez is too good of a hitter and too smart of a hitter.  I am not concerned about the Derby affecting him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Again, though, it's not the HRs, it's the RBIs.