Adrian... helping to bring back Big Papi?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Adrian... helping to bring back Big Papi?

Adrian has obviously hit his stride.

I couldn't be happier about that!

But has anyone noticed that Big Papi's BA has been near .300 ??

I think most of us were ready for Ortiz to have another 30/100 year, but there are his detractors who would point to a lower BA ...

Kudos,  Adrain and Big Papi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Re: Adrian... helping to bring back Big Papi?

Hear! Hear!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Likely 32 homers, 93 ribbies with a .275 ba.....  and then he will be back next season if this happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian... helping to bring  back Big Papi?: My guess is that if he stays healthy all year, 30-100 is a lock hitting 5th...as for his returning, i'd say it's a 5-/50 proposition. Much depend on if he'll except a team friendly deal say 2 years 15mil...
    [QUOTE]Likely 32 homers, 93 ribbies with a .275 ba.....  and then he will be back next season if this happens.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

You're absolutely right.Ortiz has been hitting the ball well and somehow he really hasn't been getting too much press about it.The media manages to jump on him when he struggles,but doesn't give him the accolades he deserves when he's going good now.They used to,but not anymore.
        I also thought and still think that hitting behind Gonzalez should help Youk out at the plate.I think he'll see better pitches because pitchers are going to be careful with Adrian and go after Youk. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Actually because of the presence of our new first baseman the media/fans are not expecting Ortiz to carry the load; not to mention that after the ups and downs DO had in 2009-10 the fan base is happy and content with what he now has to offer - a very good #5 hitter who can still send the ball over the wall in the teams moment of need.

In 09-10 we had to have the Ortiz of old in order to succeed and he simply was not that player anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Certainly having Gonzo in the lineup makes Ortiz' life easier.  But lets give credit where credit is due.  David has re-tooled himself into an all-fields hitter, blowing uup that silly shift and the steady diet of jam he has seen for years.  Taking what he is given.  Canny stuff.   He has reinvented himself and this will keep his production high this year and perhaps into the future.  I think it will really start helping his power numbers too as opposing pitchers learn that they have to keep it honest with the big man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Adrian... helping to bring back Big Papi?:
    [QUOTE]Actually because of the presence of our new first baseman the media/fans are not expecting Ortiz to carry the load; not to mention that after the ups and downs DO had in 2009-10 the fan base is happy and content with what he now has to offer - a very good #5 hitter who can still send the ball over the wall in the teams moment of need. In 09-10 we had to have the Ortiz of old in order to succeed and he simply was not that player anymore.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito,

There are times when I'm in complete disagreement with you, but today you bring up a great point. If Ortiz was a rookie and came up the stats he's had the past few years the writers would be praising Papi but based on his prior seasons the writers and some fans were all too quick to dump on Ortiz. Papi may never be the power hitter he was in his prime, but if he hits with consistancy with 25-30hrs and 90-100rbis he's a welcome player in the lIne up.

Hetchinspete

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Spaceman

Agreed.  Papi does deserve credit too.  I supported him in those times folks thought he was a goner ... and am happy to see the progress he's making hitting to all fields.

His father told him years ago to do that.  Glad he's listening again.  :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The only thing I'm concernd about is that Papi hasn't been that good with runners on base. He's batting just .179 wRISP. He's only on a pace for 24 HR and 72 RBI. Decent, but he needs to do better. I don't think he clutch numbers will stay low alll year. One good hot streak will put him on a 30-100 pace. Hopefully, he can do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Papi has had a solid season so far. He looks better than he has in years. As the season goes on I think he gets better. He's going to help us this year.

I still think though that Papi is going to get at least a 2 year deal, and maybe a 3 year deal, next winter and I don't think the Sox want to go there. Maybe they bring him back out of loyalty, as he has been such a special player in Redsox history, but if he is a type A he's gone IMO. Also, look at all the great Redsox players they have let go at, or before, his age. Pedro, Vaughn...etc. He could have a great year and still be gone next year. In many ways, the better year he has the more likely he is gone IMO.

The Sox may be in a position where they want to maybe be less LH dominant. Also maybe they want the flexibility of resting players like Youk and Gonzo by slotting them at DH some. The Lowrie factor gives them a lot of flexibility if Iglesias does actually make it at SS next year.

It will be interesting next winter in regards to Papi.