Aggressive Baserunning

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Aggressive Baserunning

These new look Red Sox were very aggressive on the basepaths in Game 1 with generally good results so far.  My favorite maneuver was Gomes's run in the ninth where he scored from second on an infield hit.  The only play I questioned was Ellsbury's triple in the sixth.  It was a close play at third, and to lead off the inning, there was not that greater of an advantage to being on third compared to secord.  However, even though he was thrown out at home later, running on contact, this was the right risk in that situation, as he would have been safe on most balls hit in the infield.

Aggressive baserunning is exciting to watch and can keep the defense on edge.  Sometimes, however, it may produce more excitement than netting results (see Mike Scioscia).  Still, this is this is the right team for it, lacking the usual core of big boppers in the lineup.  They may need to manufacture runs this year to scrap out what they need to win ballgames.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Aggressive Baserunning

i think Ells could have scored if he took a more outside path, slide to the side of the plate and touched with his hand instead of the conventional silde into the plate.. but it was a close play regardless so i don't blame him. It was definitely a set play though.. The call was from the dugout to go on contact.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

These new look Red Sox were very aggressive on the basepaths in Game 1 with generally good results so far.  My favorite maneuver was Gomes's run in the ninth where he scored from second on an infield hit.  The only play I questioned was Ellsbury's triple in the sixth.  It was a close play at third, and to lead off the inning, there was not that greater of an advantage to being on third compared to secord.  However, even though he was thrown out at home later, running on contact, this was the right risk in that situation, as he would have been safe on most balls hit in the infield.

Aggressive baserunning is exciting to watch and can keep the defense on edge.  Sometimes, however, it may produce more excitement than netting results (see Mike Scioscia).  Still, this is this is the right team for it, lacking the usual core of big boppers in the lineup.  They may need to manufacture runs this year to scrap out what they need to win ballgames.

Risk/reward, sounds like your in favor of them being aggresive on the bases, yet critical of Ellsbury for doing just that? In my book his being aggressive is a great sign and hopefully manifest itself in his stealing a few more bases this year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Also, aggressive baserunning may put pressure on the defense to execute perfectly, and would create an advantage for the offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Loved what Gomes did yesterday on the base paths. This guy is going to play an important role on this team. yes, his defense isnt good. But his energy, bat and all around he just a guy you want in your clubhouse IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

You need the right personnel to run aggressively and be succesful.  Not just speedy guys but good baserunners.  Ellsbury, Bradley, Victorino, Pedroia, Iglesias make for the right personnel.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

You need the right personnel to run aggressively and be succesful.  Not just speedy guys but good baserunners.  Ellsbury, Bradley, Victorino, Pedroia, Iglesias make for the right personnel.  

might be able to add Gomes to that list too in the next few weeks. he seems to know whats what on the basepaths. won't know for sure until we see him run them over the next few series.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

might be able to add Gomes to that list too in the next few weeks. he seems to know whats what on the basepaths. won't know for sure until we see him run them over the next few series.

Yup.  Gomes too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

SPACE, we can run now, because David Ortiz is not in the lineup !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Fair enough Bill.  Thus far, all I can say is TALLY HO! in your mission to trash him.  The day is yours good sir.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Fair enough Bill.  Thus far, all I can say is TALLY HO! in your mission to trash him.  The day is yours good sir.  

Space my good man,  im not trying to trash D O.....  He has been a good/great soldier and a Red Sox hero..........  Butttttt, living today , he is not able to get on the field.... Even if he could, that would take the "speed game" right out of the game plan.........  J F & Ben knows that, will be interesting to see how long it takes for things to play out....  One thing for sure, with every game like yesterday, you are looking at the FUTURE  !!!      Thats all, folks !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Risk/reward, sounds like your in favor of them being aggresive on the bases, yet critical of Ellsbury for doing just that? In my book his being aggressive is a great sign and hopefully manifest itself in his stealing a few more bases this year.

There's a fine line between aggressive baserunning and recklessness.  As I stated in my post, I'm critical of Ellsbury for stretching the double into a triple even though he was safe, and I support the decision to break for home on contact even though he was out.  Aggressiveness should still be smart agressiveness based upon the game situation (number of outs, fielders, batters coming up, lead or deficit vis a vis inning, opposing pitcher and bullpen behind that, baseball park, etc.).  The triple was with nobody out with Ishiro handling the baseball and good bat control hitters due up (Victorino and Pedroia).  The break for the plate was with one out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Space my good man,  im not trying to trash D O.....  He has been a good/great soldier and a Red Sox hero..........  Butttttt, living today , he is not able to get on the field.... Even if he could, that would take the "speed game" right out of the game plan.........  J F & Ben knows that, will be interesting to see how long it takes for things to play out....  One thing for sure, with every game like yesterday, you are looking at the FUTURE  !!!      Thats all, folks !!!

There is less need for small ball play when Papi is slugging homeruns or doubles.  That's a good thing.  You play small ball when you don't have that option.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

There's a fine line between aggressive baserunning and recklessness.  As I stated in my post, I'm critical of Ellsbury for stretching the double into a triple even though he was safe, and I support the decision to break for home on contact even though he was out.  Aggressiveness should still be smart agressiveness based upon the game situation (number of outs, fielders, batters coming up, lead or deficit vis a vis inning, opposing pitcher and bullpen behind that, baseball park, etc.).  The triple was with nobody out with Ishiro handling the baseball and good bat control hitters due up (Victorino and Pedroia).  The break for the plate was with one out.

Good points Sheriff.  Ironically, or not so ironically since there is no intrinsic connection between fast base-running and good base-running, Ellsbury is by far the fastest guy of all the guys I mentioned as good baserunners on this club, but the worst base-runner.  His speed actually gets in the way of him being smart out there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I know you are not TRYING to trash him Bill, but, at the end of the day, that is what you ARE doing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I know you are not TRYING to trash him Bill, but, at the end of the day, that is what you ARE doing.

Not at all !!   As the late great Robert Kennedy would say.........   " I see things as they are, and ask why !!  PAPI is near the end of the line.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Good points Sheriff.  Ironically, or not so ironically since there is no intrinsic connection between fast base-running and good base-running, Ellsbury is by far the fastest guy of all the guys I mentioned as good baserunners on this club, but the worst base-runner.  His speed actually gets in the way of him being smart out there.

I'm not sure I'd call Ellsbury a bad baserunner, but I'd agree that he is probably the least intelligent from the group you listed.  By contrast, I always thought that Varitek was one the smartest baserunners I've ever seen in spite of his tortoise-like gait.  Of course, Jason was intelligent in every aspect of the game.  He possessed the highest baseball IQ I've ever witnessed.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Watching the Ellsbury replay, I noticed he was not leaning towards the plate as the pitch reached the plate and the ball was hit. He had to start his momentum after the ball was hit, and he was just barely out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I'm not sure I'd call Ellsbury a bad baserunner, but I'd agree that he is probably the least intelligent from the group you listed.  By contrast, I always thought that Varitek was one the smartest baserunners I've ever seen in spite of his tortoise-like gait.  Of course, Jason was intelligent in every aspect of the game.  He possessed the highest baseball IQ I've ever witnessed.  

Speed and good baserunning are 2 totally different skills.  A guy can have blazing speed but if he doesn't know situations, opponents strengths/weaknesses, and have a high baseball IQ it doesn't make him a good baserunner.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

There is less need for small ball play when Papi is slugging homeruns or doubles.  That's a good thing.  You play small ball when you don't have that option.  

Thank you so much, all good points........  BTW, he will need to run those doubles out, unless, well unless he hits homeruns at least once a game !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

There will be plenty of opportunity to play small ball even when Ortiz is back. He takes up just one of nine spots in the batting order. Certainly when he is on base he will cramp the running attack, but the rest of the time it will be fine. Its refreshing to see Farrell is so much more creative than the dullard Francona who did not believe in using the full arsenal of his offensive weapons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought Gomes trying to score from 2d was riskier than Ellsbury taking third.  Ellsbury trying to score was also risky, but Napolic then flying out showed it was the right chance to take.  What irritated me was after Ellsbury's triple when first Victorino and then Pedroia simply failed to hit a fly ball.  I do give the Yankees credit for playing the infield in and making the outs. 

I don't think Ortiz was hurt the aggressive baserunning, especially if he bats 4th or 5th. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I thought Gomes trying to score from 2d was riskier than Ellsbury taking third.  Ellsbury trying to score was also risky, but Napolic then flying out showed it was the right chance to take.  What irritated me was after Ellsbury's triple when first Victorino and then Pedroia simply failed to hit a fly ball.  I do give the Yankees credit for playing the infield in and making the outs. 

I don't think Ortiz was hurt the aggressive baserunning, especially if he bats 4th or 5th. 

Gomes trying to score may have been riskier, but the situation was a much more sensible one for risk taking.  There were two outs in the ninth and Gomes's was a pile-on run.  He was also running with the pitch with two out, and his momentum was taking him there anyway.  The hit was also a weak one to second, and the runner might expect a play to be made at first for the out. The game was still tight (4 to 2) when Ellsbury stretched his inning leadoff hit into a triple.