AGon trainer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

AGon trainer

Can't we get a Hungarian soccer guy to work AGon in the off season to improve just a little on speed? He must be the slowest player in baselall and that hurts us

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: AGon trainer

Adrian Gonzalez iks what he is. Is he slow? Of course, Was Jim Rice slow? Yes. What the Sox have to do is maximize the speed they do have. They haven't done that this year for the most part. Ells and Crawford need to be back to back in the lineup for that to happen, Whether that's 1 2 or 9 1 we need both of those guys on base at the same time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: AGon trainer:
    [QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez iks what he is. Is he slow? Of course, Was Jim Rice slow? Yes. What the Sox have to do is maximize the speed they do have. They haven't done that this year for the most part. Ells and Crawford need to be back to back in the lineup for that to happen, Whether that's 1 2 or 9 1 we need both of those guys on base at the same time.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
     That's the logical way to do it, but instead they adhered to the LRLR syndrome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AGon trainer :  That's the logical way to do it, but instead they adhered to the LRLR syndrome.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]Gotta agree with you there Youk. Here's hoping that Ells and Crawford are 1 2 in the order going forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Never mind his speed. Look at these numbers:
    vs.:
    NY Yankees - .186
    Detroit - .130
    Tampa Bay - .131
    Phillies - .091

Looks like for all the nice stats, he just doesn't get it done against the big boys, except the Rangers. That includes two of the possible three teams the Sox could face in the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I like his bat and glove in the game.  He was not given the big bucks because he can steal bases...he was paid to drive in runs and use that gold glove at first.  I have trouble believing anyone can find fault with his season...except of course this board.  Anyone blaming anything but pitching for the season the Sox are having has not been watching the Sox.  They lead the AL in virtually every category in hitting and their pitching is down around 20th or so...nuff said.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

An exceptional Stan Lee quote.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez iks what he is. Is he slow? Of course, Was Jim Rice slow? Yes.Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Rice was not slow in his 20's and he was never ever even close to as slow as Gonzalez.

Rice would steal 8 - 10 bases a year in his 20's and he had back to back years with 15 triples.  Slow guys don't do that.

Gonzalez has TWO career steals and ELEVEN career triples.

However, i do agree that Gonzalez's lack of speed is not a problem.  We didn't get him for speed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AGon trainer : Rice was not slow in his 20's and he was never ever even close to as slow as Gonzalez. Rice would steal 8 - 10 bases a year in his 20's and he had back to back years with 15 triples.  Slow guys don't do that. Gonzalez has TWO career steals and ELEVEN career triples. However, i do agree that Gonzalez's lack of speed is not a problem.  We didn't get him for speed.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]Jim Rice is 7th all time in gidp. Yaz is 4th. In no way is this a slam of Jim Ed or Yaz. I loved both those guys, and they deserve their HOF berths. However fast guys don't hit into that many double plays. Adrian Gonzalez is a player that is a lot like Yaz and Rice, a slugger who is not exactly fleet of foot. Asking him to be Brett Gardner or Jacoby Elldsury is asking too much IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

please stop.

Your comparisons are ridiculous.

Yaz stole 23 bases in 1970 at age 30.  Adrian Gonzalez, now has TWO CAREER steals.

He is dramatically slower than both Rice and Yaz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]please stop. Your comparisons are ridiculous. Yaz stole 23 bases in 1970 at age 30.  Adrian Gonzalez, now has TWO CAREER steals. He is dramatically slower than both Rice and Yaz.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]Well, sorry. But I won't stop. My point is you're not looking to your power guys for steals. How many career steals does Big Papi have? Plus, you only seem to show up when the Red Sox are doing poorly. Troll much?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AGon trainer : Well, sorry. But I won't stop. My point is you're not looking to your power guys for steals. How many career steals does Big Papi have? Plus, you only seem to show up when the Red Sox are doing poorly. Troll much?
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Try reading my post.  I said I agreed with you that Gonzalez was not signed for speed - he was signed for his hitting.

But that doesn't mean you can write incredibly stupid things like:  Yaz was slow like Gonzalez.  That isn't even close to the truth.  Maybe for a marginal sox fan like you, who probably remembers ONLY that the 43 year old Yaz was slow.

But at age 30 Yaz stole 23 bases.  Do you think Gonzalez who has TWO career steals could do that?  No chance.  Sort of indicates a difference in speed between the two - dontcha think?

Rice had 8 - 10 steals every year in his 20's and had back to back 15 triple seasons.  Do you think that indicates that Rice was "just as slow as Gonzalez?"
    No.  It shows that Rice was much faster.

Gonzalez is an incredibly slow ball player - and if you want to compare his speed with someone it is Bob Montgomery - you can look Montgomery up on the internet - he played for the Sox in the 1970s.  You probably think he was only a color commentator - but he actually was a catcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Adrian Gonzalez iks what he is. Is he slow? Of course, Was Jim Rice slow? Yes. What the Sox have to do is maximize the speed they do have. They haven't done that this year for the most part. Ells and Crawford need to be back to back in the lineup for that to happen, Whether that's 1 2 or 9 1 we need both of those guys on base at the same time.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    I agree totally. Always believed that exact scenario. I thought they'd both steal 40-50 bases this year.