All Star thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

All Star thoughts

Things that make you say HMMMM

So I was looking at a couple of relative stats and I saw some interesting comparisons.  Not sure  to what end I am doing this but it was interesting.

Nava vs Agon

Nava has 10 homers 50 RBI in 278 ABs.  He is hitting 295

Agon has 13 homers 53 RBI in 307 ABs He is hitting 296.

Very close overall and the HRs and RBIs would probably be closer if Nava had those 29 ABs.  While Agon is having a good, not great year (comparabale to where he was with the Red Sox at this time.), Nava is one of the most productive OFs in the AL.  4th in RBIs, 5th in OPS.  I am disappointed that he wasn't picked for the team or at the very least in the running for the extra player.  That Agon is one of two Dodgers in that group of five.....

Puig vs Carp

Carp iis 8 and 25 in 117 witha 316

Puig is 8 and 19 in 123 with a 407

Let me start with.  I get it with Puig and putting him on the final five list is the best solution.  Takes it off the manager.  He will likely be the one and that is probably for the best.  Also I am in no way saying that Carp should be an all-star, despite his productivity in a limited role.  I was just surpised that he had as many homers and more RBIs in six less at bats.  Yes there is a big difference in avaerage, but in a small sample of the 117 and 123 at bats, that is  about 10 hits.  When all is said and done, the production difference is not enormous, yet the attention Puig gets is off the charts.  Do most baseball fans (not in Boston or Seatlle} even know who Mike Carp is.

Iglesias vs Scutaroo

Iglesias is 1 and 12 in 149 with a 403

Scutaro is 2 and 19 in 286 with a 311

I'm not sure where I am going with this either.  I liked Scutaro when he was in Boston and he has made the most of it since leaving.  That said he has bigger numbers than Iglesias, but he also has more than twice the at bats.  They would be about the same with the same number of ABs.  Like the Puig/Carp thing, Iglesias is awell ahead in BA, but the small sample size means it is only a real difference in 8 or 9 hits.  Scutaro makes the team.  I think Iglesias would have been a good one for the extra five and along with Puig, that might have been interesting, both being Cubans. 

I know it is easy to say that Iglesias is not this good as a hitter and I agree.  Obviuosly he is going to come back down to earth.  I will be surpised if he winds up over .300, but even if he finished at .250-.260, that would be fine.  Before the year started, we would have taken that in a heartbeat.  "With his glove, if he could hit .230....."   Now it would take a significant slump for him to fall to even .250.  I heard yesterday that he had hits in 34 of 40 games.  That is a quarter of a season!!!! I think we are beyond the idea of a hot week.   If he goes hitless in a game, I keep saying, okay the crazy stuff is over and here he comes back to the pack.  Then he gets a two hits in two of three games.  Yes, he is coming down, but pretty slowly.  To maintain .400 that means 2 of 5 everyday.  He may actually drop below in the next day or two.   Yes and .380 is terrible, right.

On all of this just sayin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: All Star thoughts

I'm not sure where I am going with this either.

lol sorry nate

while I appreciate the effort you put into the post

I just don't see the merit in comparing NL guys vs AL guys

if you are trying to make a case that 1 deserves a AS spot over the other

I mean if that's where you were going

why not compare them to the others who shouldn't have made the team

personally while I have a soft spot for the nava story

I'm against all those guys  making it including puig

IMO you need to do it more than just a few months

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

I'm against all those guys  making it including puig

IMO you need to do it more than just a few months

Zac!

I agree with you in principle that a player should have to do it for more than just a few months, but in the case of Iggy and Puig I'd say put them both there.

The AS game has gone from being useless to being semi-useless, but it's still a game for the fans, and any fan who follows baseball at all has heard the stories about these two guys.  I say put them out there, give them both at least one AB and two innings in the field and let the fans see what the possible future echelon of baseball looks like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im with Zac. Not sure the point of comparing NL to AL guys.

Im against Puig even being on the ballot. ESPN wants him there and are pushing him big time. My question then would be, why is Iggy not on the ballot? Hes batting over 400 still and have a bunch more AB's than Puig. There are more deserving players on each side and neither should be on any fan vote. Another reason why the ASG is a joke, yet Bud keeps trying to make it important.

Which brings me to another reason why its a joke. The best record should be the home team out of the 2 in the WS. simple as that. If the NL wins the exhibition game and its the sox, who say have 94 wins against the pirates who have 91 wins. The better team who has earned HFA doesnt have it. Stupid. Usiing a pitcher to bat in the WS is a distinct disadvantage to the AL team as they construct their team for a DH and the pitchers never hit.

Ok, my rant is over Sealed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We have a very good all around team that has played winning baseball over the first half. As far as All Stars, Ortiz , Buchholz and Pedroia are the only ones who deserve it. Buchholz is still unable to pitch, and even Pedroia could not complain if he was beaten out by Kendrick. As far as the World Series home field thing goes , it is merely a gimmick to boost TV ratings. A gimmick that does not seem to be working. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Heard yesterday 22 of last 27 WS team that had Homefield advantage won. Think thats pretty important. MLB network guys said dont be surprised if guys like Cabrera plays the whole 9 innings. 
    Always thought way more of a disadvantage if National League gets the Homefield, play the whole year with the Pitcher to bat, much harder for American League team to play this way. National League just adds a  batter (Usually a good one), to DH. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Actually , the home field only becomes an advantage if it goes seven games. For example, in a five game series, the other team has three home games. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

All RedSox Stay Away From Home-Run Derby...Its A Jinx......Wink...........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to natepioneer0350's comment:

So I was looking at a couple of relative stats and I saw some interesting comparisons.  Not sure  to what end I am doing this but it was interesting.

Nava vs Agon

Very close overall and the HRs and RBIs would probably be closer if Nava had those 29 ABs.  While Agon is having a good, not great year (comparabale to where he was with the Red Sox at this time.), Nava is one of the most productive OFs in the AL.  4th in RBIs, 5th in OPS.  I am disappointed that he wasn't picked for the team or at the very least in the running for the extra player.  That Agon is one of two Dodgers in that group of five.....

Puig vs Carp

Let me start with.  I get it with Puig and putting him on the final five list is the best solution.  Takes it off the manager.  He will likely be the one and that is probably for the best.  Also I am in no way saying that Carp should be an all-star, despite his productivity in a limited role.  I was just surpised that he had as many homers and more RBIs in six less at bats.  Yes there is a big difference in avaerage, but in a small sample of the 117 and 123 at bats, that is  about 10 hits.  When all is said and done, the production difference is not enormous, yet the attention Puig gets is off the charts.  Do most baseball fans (not in Boston or Seatlle} even know who Mike Carp is.

Iglesias vs Scutaroo

I'm not sure where I am going with this either.  I liked Scutaro when he was in Boston and he has made the most of it since leaving.  That said he has bigger numbers than Iglesias, but he also has more than twice the at bats.  They would be about the same with the same number of ABs.  Like the Puig/Carp thing, Iglesias is awell ahead in BA, but the small sample size means it is only a real difference in 8 or 9 hits.  Scutaro makes the team.  I think Iglesias would have been a good one for the extra five and along with Puig, that might have been interesting, both being Cubans. 

I know it is easy to say that Iglesias is not this good as a hitter and I agree.  Obviuosly he is going to come back down to earth.  I will be surpised if he winds up over .300, but even if he finished at .250-.260, that would be fine.  Before the year started, we would have taken that in a heartbeat.  "With his glove, if he could hit .230....."   Now it would take a significant slump for him to fall to even .250.  I heard yesterday that he had hits in 34 of 40 games.  That is a quarter of a season!!!! I think we are beyond the idea of a hot week.   If he goes hitless in a game, I keep saying, okay the crazy stuff is over and here he comes back to the pack.  Then he gets a two hits in two of three games.  Yes, he is coming down, but pretty slowly.  To maintain .400 that means 2 of 5 everyday.  He may actually drop below in the next day or two.   Yes and .380 is terrible, right.

It sounds like you're making a case for these RS players to suit up for the NL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Im against Puig even being on the ballot. ESPN wants him there and are pushing him big time. My question then would be, why is Iggy not on the ballot? Hes batting over 400 still and have a bunch more AB's than Puig. There are more deserving players on each side and neither should be on any fan vote. Another reason why the ASG is a joke, yet Bud keeps trying to make it important.

Which brings me to another reason why its a joke. The best record should be the home team out of the 2 in the WS. simple as that. If the NL wins the exhibition game and its the sox, who say have 94 wins against the pirates who have 91 wins. The better team who has earned HFA doesnt have it. Stupid. Usiing a pitcher to bat in the WS is a distinct disadvantage to the AL team as they construct their team for a DH and the pitchers never hit.

Probably not on the ballot, because it was assumed that he would not start the season on the big club, after they got Drew.  He was only there because of Drew's concussion

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to natepioneer0350's comment:

Nava vs Agon

Puig vs Carp

Iglesias vs Scutaroo

It sounds like you're making a case for these RS players to suit up for the NL.

I said I wasn't sure where I was going with this.  It just made me say hmmm

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I don't really like the all star game.  I don't think home field advantage should be handed to the winner.  The team with the most wins should have home field and yes it's only and advantage if they go seven games but it's always nice to have.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I tend to agree that the team with the best record should earn home field in the WS..That said, due to the three division, two wildcard format..a wildcard team could have a better record than a team that won it's division, yet they are relegated to a playin game. Dispite not playing the same schedules due to the current unbalanced format and the intra-league schedule where all teams play a rival series. Although baseball will never do so the best method for determining who makes the playoffs and not would be to slot them based on their records. Which is counter intuitive to what they have now where they are trying to place a greater value on winning your division. 

As for the All Star game itself, I don't have a problem with this one counts...I have a problem with this one counts...but...you have to take one player from every team and then whomever wins a raffle of fan favorites. Someone please tell me who on the Astro's deserves to be on the team? 

In both cases, baseball is having it's cake and eating it to. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Hope that none of our pitchers get selected...... They need the 3 day rest !!!!