Another bad trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Another bad trade

Sands has an upside and could play first and a corner outfield spot. Stormy finished on an upside. This trade reminds me of the Jeff Bagwell trade. What was Cherry thinking on this blunder?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Another bad trade

Yeah, Sands is so highly valued that, when the LAD needed an OF, they traded for Abreu instead of using Sands.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, Sands is so highly valued that, when the LAD needed an OF, they traded for Abreu instead of using Sands.

[/QUOTE]

and traded for victorino

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That didn't take long.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I am not going to jump to conclusions on this deal until we know all of the pieces. but getting a  31 year old reliever who has saved 76 games over the  last 2 seasons for a Sands and Pimental seems like a no brainer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I Heard melancon could also be in the deal. Just rumors though. My guess is the Sox could try for Sanchez or Jones to play 1b. Hopefully its not Of'er Alex presley, we already have Hassan, Nava, kalish, Hazelbaker, Linares and Brentz/Bradley about ready for a call-up within the next year. We have OF depth. We need 1b depth besides Gomez.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I Heard melancon could also be in the deal. Just rumors though. My guess is the Sox could try for Sanchez or Jones to play 1b. Hopefully its not Of'er Alex presley, we already have Hassan, Nava, kalish, Hazelbaker, Linares and Brentz/Bradley about ready for a call-up within the next year. We have OF depth. We need 1b depth besides Gomez.

[/QUOTE]

You said "Hazelbaker".  Get rid of Stolmy Pimentel but keep Hazelbaker.  Keep some cool names in the system.

I do agree with the need for 1B depth.  Seems the Sox often needed a 1B type the last few seasons.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rickerd2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You said "Hazelbaker".  Get rid of Stolmy Pimentel but keep Hazelbaker.  Keep some cool names in the system.

I do agree with the need for 1B depth.  Seems the Sox often needed a 1B type the last few seasons.

[/QUOTE]

With the napoli deal hitting a road block of sorts, 1b is the most important position of need right now. Gomez is the only depth we have. Id like a LHH 1b, but I think our chances of getting sanchez are better than getting Jones. If we even get one of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is a pretty cool name. Don't Bogaerts that bat my friend, pass it over to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts is a pretty cool name. Don't Bogaerts that bat my friend, pass it over to me.

[/QUOTE]

Lol..nice

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sands has an upside and could play first and a corner outfield spot. Stormy finished on an upside. This trade reminds me of the Jeff Bagwell trade. What was Cherry thinking on this blunder?

[/QUOTE]

I bet you never heard of Jerry Sands before this trade. 

Whis Cherington s moron for trading Sands but no one ever gave him credit for acquiring this obviously superior talent? I

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

az55, Sands is 25 years old and has a grand total of 4 MLB HR's in 251 AB's!! Stormy finished on a high? I guess its easy to do when your 0-9 with an era of 8+ the year prior! The sky isn't falling this isn't Bagwell redux, take a chill pill.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I bet you never heard of Jerry Sands before this trade. 

Whis Cherington s moron for trading Sands but no one ever gave him credit for acquiring this obviously superior talent? I

[/QUOTE]

Ya don't know what ya got til it's gone, Notin.

Man, sounds like a good basis for a song ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end we have to wait to see what we're getting and what we're givin...Hanrahan is a proven big league closer with stuff comparable to Papelbon...Sands and Pimental aren't even considered among our best prospects. On the merits of that, it's a no brainer to make this deal...what we don't know yet is who the others in the trade are with 2 going to them and the 1 coming to us? At this point it's all specualtion. Adding a big armed proven big leaguer to the back of our pen for what amount's to table scraps and some among us have a problem with this deal?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

Love this trade, and thats from someone who complained all day yesterday that Ross Walked 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

This offseason still gets a C at best tho 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the end we have to wait to see what we're getting and what we're givin...Hanrahan is a proven big league closer with stuff comparable to Papelbon...

[/QUOTE]

Career K/9  BB/9

JH   9.88   4.35

JP   10.83   2.40

LOB%   career    2012

JH        75.0         89.7

JP        80.4          83.8

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In this case we are acquiring a legit closer for a prospect who has not excelled in AAA.

This is a good deal.  We NEED a closer.

Hanrahan + Bailey and Uhera is great.  I wouldn't even mind seeing them snag Fuentes if he remains available into mid january - throw a 2 year deal at him and we have the best Pen in the AL

I'd like this Hanrahan deal done today, please.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My only real concern is why Hanrahans SO to BB ratio seems to go from good to bad every other season.  Giving up Sands for depth in the pen is a decent move, I think Bradley, Brentz and possibly even Bogaerts depending on what position he ends up playing are all better prospects. 

What we don't need is a closer who walks a lot of batters in our division so its a risky trade.  I also think Ben has done a much better job with the pen, than addressing our SP.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Another bad post...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

While Hanrahan himself obviously comes with some question marks, turning Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel into a two-time All-Star closer should be a no-brainer. I thought Sands was rather intriguing, but he apparently wasn't part of the team's plans, and if he wasn't going to play, might as well get something for him. What I find funny is that there's been virtually zero discussion of Sands on this board, but now people are going to start coming out of the woodwork to complain that we traded this guy with soo much potential. (And if Sands had been slotted in to play 1B or LF in 2013, the same posters would probably have been whining and moaning about another last-place finish ahead.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While Hanrahan himself obviously comes with some question marks, turning Jerry Sands and Stolmy Pimentel into a two-time All-Star closer should be a no-brainer. I thought Sands was rather intriguing, but he apparently wasn't part of the team's plans, and if he wasn't going to play, might as well get something for him. What I find funny is that there's been virtually zero discussion of Sands on this board, but now people are going to start coming out of the woodwork to complain that we traded this guy with soo much potential. (And if Sands had been slotted in to play 1B or LF in 2013, the same posters would probably have been whining and moaning about another last-place finish ahead.)

[/QUOTE]

yup. BC is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yup. BC is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't..

[/QUOTE]

Hes a man of his word. He said we werent going to let go of top prospects unless an obvious solid return. Not sign guys with draft picks attatched to them. No long term deals and willing to overpay to commit to less years. he promised a cometetive team and realizing its still not over yet, this is a competetive team as it stands right now. BC also said he was going to spend $$ and have a large payroll. This is exactly what he has done so far.