Another MVP for Mauro Gomez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Another MVP for Mauro Gomez

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mauro seems like the classic AAAA player.

Gomez is a very capable value and fit as a platoon 1st base/backup 3rd base guy with someone like Loney for 1 year and 2M or less than 3M for both of them for a year and retain full flexibility for future 1st base market.

Tim Wastefield didn't seem like, he was the classic AAAA player.

[/QUOTE]

Just copying this post for when it's erased after another banning, and you later deny you ever said this

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

Most of the weak CYA bs on this forum seems to emanate from you softhead. Loney? Are you serious? He couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag. Nice fielder, but he seems to have no idea what to do with a baseball bat. As far as Gomez goes, I love the way he handles his stick, but he has a hard time fielding his position. So your idea for first base is to play two guys, one who can't field and another who can't hit. What do we do play one on O and the other on D?

Carnie, you are as incompetent as Cherry. My plan for first base has been repeated many times, and Loney and Gomez were the final value and fit fallback option:

1. Offer the Tigers 2 farmscraps outside the Red Sox internal top 6;  if they say no

2. Offer Napoli 2 years and base 10; if he finds a sucker

3. Offer Loney 2M and 1 year MLB contract (with an option @ 2M and .5 buyout)  

And for dimwits like you, Loney starts most of the time. When Gomez starts, if the Red Sox have a lead in latter innings, Loney pinch hits and/or comes in for defensive purposes for Gomez. Have you never managed baseball at all. Obviously not.

v. RP  Loney   BA .294  OBP .351  SLG  .441  OPS .792  (career for young Loney)

v. RP Napoli BA .250   OBP .365  SLG .496   OPS .861  (2012 for old and injured Napoli)

Napoli's no better v. LP than Loney or Gomez in his current age and physical state as evident from 2012

Loney is a better fielder than Napoli.

Loney and Gomez cost 2.5M on a one year commitment

Napoli costs 13 million on a three year commitment

Do the math! If Napoli was 2 years and 10M, since he can backup catch and provide more lineup flexibility, he would be good value. At double that, they need to pull the plug on it and with the new hip issue news, they need to limit the offer to one year and an option with a total commitement of no more than about 15 to 16M.

[/QUOTE]

Softy,

Stats can be read almost anyway one wants to show them.  I agree with you that the Napoli hip issue is troublesome, but that seems universal  from the scraps of info we have.  There is one reality that you haven't mentioned, though, as you try to balance the field in your view.  Loney has no where near the numbers in Fenway that Napoli has.  I haven't done a city by city comparison, which really would be moot since Loney has only spent half a season in the AL.  While trying to figure out what happened to Loney's bat the last two seasons, when his BA dropped 30 points below his lifetime average and over 50 points below his lifetime as a Red Sox, Napoli has had numbers that spell high power and run production at Fenway.  It is the sole reason I can see his attraction to the Red Sox.  He is neither a good defensive catcher or 1bMan ...

If Loney had come here and shown some proficiency with his bat, there would surely be more speaking up for him.

Now, back to Gomez - I hope he is given a chance and proves himself here. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now, back to Gomez - I hope he is given a chance and proves himself here. 

[/QUOTE]

The chances are remote, so planning on Mauro as an intregal part of a playoff contending team further weakens the argument that we are indeed a "serious playoff contending team".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

can someone let our young players start for a while?  how can this guy not help the team in 2013?

i have no problem with being under .500 if we play the kids and get them some experience....this is what we should have done all last year

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

can someone let our young players start for a while?  how can this guy not help the team in 2013?

i have no problem with being under .500 if we play the kids and get them some experience....this is what we should have done all last year

[/QUOTE]

1) He's not really a "young player" as he turns 29 next season.

2) His BAbip shows his 2012 numbers might be inflated.

3) Many feel like we are serious contenders this year (not me), so for those people, I can understand not wanting to plan on Mauro to produce from a position like 1B in MLB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

hes a pup compared to the elders of zion tribesmen we signed this year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd have preferred the "pup" Sands, then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I am a big fan of Mauro Gomez--the guy can hit. Call him 4 A; that's better than 3A right? The kid may not be the most graceful 1 b--kind of reminds me of Billt Butler when he played 1b. As a matter of fact he kind of reminds me of Butler when he bats. Give the kid a chance and he could be ready for the DH role when Ortiz leaves in 2 years.

How well does Gomez hit left handed pitching? Not real well

He surprisingly hits better against RH Pitching than left:

.315 BA

.356 OBP

.556 Slg.

I would be looking for perhaps a bat that hits lefthanders well and can play 1b and OF.

How about Mitch Moreland from the Rangers--mostly 1 b but has played RF at the Maj. League level?

How about Garrett Jones 1b and corner OF?

What about keeping Lavarnway and getting him some time in LF and 1 b with the PawSox?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He surprisingly hit better against RH Pitching than left:

.315 BA

.356 OBP

.556 Slg.

I would be looking for perhaps a bat that hits lefthanders well and can play 1b and OF.

How about Mitch Moreland from the Rangers--mostly 1 b but has played RF at the Maj. League level?

What about keeping Lavarnway and getting him some time in LF and 1 b with the PawSox?

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see his splits in the minors. His MLB sample size last year was too small to learn much about his projected future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mauro Gomez at 29 is a pup compared to Napoli who just turned 31?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Gomez is a great plan B , and a reach as a plan A.  We will probably see him at some point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He surprisingly hit better against RH Pitching than left:

.315 BA

.356 OBP

.556 Slg.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see his splits in the minors. His MLB sample size last year was too small to learn much about his projected future.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=450855

I think you will find some splits, not much, on Gomez here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

First baseman  Mauro Gomez (pictured), who took home the International League MVP award earlier this year for his performance with the Pawtucket Red Sox, won another Most Valuable honor on Friday, sharing the award in the Liga de Beisbol Profesional de la Republicana Dominicana (Dominican Republic Professional Baseball League) with a former PawSox,  Hector Luna.   Gomez played in 49 games for Leones del Escogido (Escogido Lions), hitting .242/.369/.455 with 10 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 33 runs scored, and 37 RBI in 178 at-bats. He led the league in runs scored and runs batted in, and had two game-winning grand slams.

[/QUOTE]  I would be OK if he was our opening day 1st baseman.....  ya got to like that bat !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First baseman  Mauro Gomez (pictured), who took home the International League MVP award earlier this year for his performance with the Pawtucket Red Sox, won another Most Valuable honor on Friday, sharing the award in the Liga de Beisbol Profesional de la Republicana Dominicana (Dominican Republic Professional Baseball League) with a former PawSox,  Hector Luna.   Gomez played in 49 games for Leones del Escogido (Escogido Lions), hitting .242/.369/.455 with 10 doubles, two triples, eight home runs, 33 runs scored, and 37 RBI in 178 at-bats. He led the league in runs scored and runs batted in, and had two game-winning grand slams.

[/QUOTE]  I would be OK if he was our opening day 1st baseman.....  ya got to like that bat !!!

[/QUOTE]

Then I just wonder why no other team hasnt likes that bat yet at 29...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Brian Daubach comes to mind ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I doubt that anyone knows whether Gomez is going to be a successful major league player until he is given a full shot at first base and maybe the seventh spot in a line up for about 50 games.

He may excel or he may fail, but I would like to see him given a chance in Boston's line up.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In the event I get censored, Moonshwemp will prevaricate by claiming "and I quote directly".

1. Gomez is a capable bench guy behind a LH 1B like Loney who costs less than the stooge wanted to offer Tim Wastefield to be the team clown for 2012. The fact that one year of those guys cost less than 3M is hardly something to suggest "you'll deny you ever said that". No I wont, but you keep denying to offered Wakefield 2M, spinning it as "with incentives", like potato salad.

2. Wastefield was the classic AAAA profile. A lot of quantity and bad quality and always a guranteed wild pitch or gopher ball game changing bum.

[/QUOTE]

More drivel saved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"Kids"?  "Young"?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

Then I just wonder why no other team hasnt likes that bat yet at 29...

[/QUOTE]

No you don't, Paw....you know it's nonsense!  I feel 100% certain that Gomez is a terrible fielder that will never add value with his glove.....I feel 90-95% certain he will never hit enough in the majors to stick.  I hope I'm wrong....but there is no/little evidence to suggest he ever will.

Ciriaco......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

AAAA is the best description. I won't argue he wouldn't be valuable in some way off the bench (PH), but please stop with the "in two years" he will be something. Player after player after player fans yell "give him a shot" and 9 times out of ten the player is exactly what the organization thought.

I heard people yelling for Lavarnway, Khalish, Ciriaco (i will admit he had a surprisingly nice year) that's to name just a few who once you give them enough at bats you see why they are where they are.

If they were to ever give Gomez 50 games at first this would be the year to do it if Napoli deal isn't completed, but otherwise Gomez isn't the replacement for Ortiz.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Anyone remember Chris Carter from a few years back? Man, that guy could hit...in Triple-A.