Another Yankee pitching bust?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?

Let's hope that both Lavarnway and Montero both do well in their future endeavours. They are both fine young men and apparently very well regarded by their teammates.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    [QUOTE]  Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE] Montero is still a very young prospect at only 21 when LaVarnway was 21 he was only in A ball.  Give Montero some time . I didn't like the trade either if Pineda flops Cashman will never be forgiven by a large segment of Yankee fans. Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE] TWM Do you mean his catching needs more time? or is he a Napoli type now? I brought up the Lava/Montero comp b/c (as many have pointed out) Montero is ranked as an elite prospect unlike Lava.  Yet it is easy to find scouts comparing Lava favourably.   I feel it is fair to question if Montero is a "generational" prospect.   We can only go on what the scouts have said b/c neither has been seen much by any of us.  IMO the scouting is confusing: on one hand Montero is much higher in rankings while on the other hand his catching has been denegrated over the last year.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Furthermore it looks like Seattle intends to have him catch.

I watched Yogi Berra as a kid develope into a decent defensive catcher and personally had a few problems with Posada's defense but his hitting kept him on the field.

If Montero's bat is what most scouts expect it to be I think the catching gaffes will be overlooked.

But honestly i don't know at this stage of his career how good he will be defensively.

Mike Piazza was another good hitting catcher with a so-so glove.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Montero is still a very young prospect at only 21 when LaVarnway was 21 he was only in A ball.  Give Montero some time . I didn't like the trade either if Pineda flops Cashman will never be forgiven by a large segment of Yankee fans. Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE] TWM Do you mean his catching needs more time? or is he a Napoli type now? I brought up the Lava/Montero comp b/c (as many have pointed out) Montero is ranked as an elite prospect unlike Lava.  Yet it is easy to find scouts comparing Lava favourably.   I feel it is fair to question if Montero is a "generational" prospect.   We can only go on what the scouts have said b/c neither has been seen much by any of us.  IMO the scouting is confusing: on one hand Montero is much higher in rankings while on the other hand his catching has been denegrated over the last year. Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE] Furthermore it looks like Seattle intends to have him catch. I watched Yogi Berra as a kid develope into a decent defensive catcher and personally had a few problems with Posada's defense but his hitting kept him on the field. If Montero's bat is what most scouts expect it to be I think the catching gaffes will be overlooked. But honestly i don't know at this stage of his career how good he will be defensively. Mike Piazza was another good hitting catcher with a so-so glove.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Is Montero's .814 OPS at AAA at age 21 really that much better than Lavarnway's .907 OPS in A ball?  The problem for Montero is he was better at the same level at age 20 than his was at age 21.  If he spends this year at AAA, and his numbers drop again, and he fails to improve defensively, you might not see him on anybody's top prospect list.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Yet it is easy to find scouts comparing Lava favourably---slomag
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    You wouldn't find them at Baseball America whose 2012 writeup on Lava says he's gone from "dreadful" to adequate" behind the plate.
    High praise, indeed. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : TWM Do you mean his catching needs more time? or is he a Napoli type now? I brought up the Lava/Montero comp b/c (as many have pointed out) Montero is ranked as an elite prospect unlike Lava.  Yet it is easy to find scouts comparing Lava favourably.   I feel it is fair to question if Montero is a "generational" prospect.   We can only go on what the scouts have said b/c neither has been seen much by any of us.  IMO the scouting is confusing: on one hand Montero is much higher in rankings while on the other hand his catching has been denegrated over the last year. Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE] Furthermore it looks like Seattle intends to have him catch. I watched Yogi Berra as a kid develope into a decent defensive catcher and personally had a few problems with Posada's defense but his hitting kept him on the field. If Montero's bat is what most scouts expect it to be I think the catching gaffes will be overlooked. But honestly i don't know at this stage of his career how good he will be defensively. Mike Piazza was another good hitting catcher with a so-so glove. Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE] Is Montero's .814 OPS at AAA at age 21 really that much better than Lavarnway's .907 OPS in A ball?  The problem for Montero is he was better at the same level at age 20 than his was at age 21.  If he spends this year at AAA, and his numbers drop again, and he fails to improve defensively, you might not see him on anybody's top prospect list.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Spends another year in AAA? You are kidding right? Montero will bat 3rd in the Seattle lineup in 2012

Maybe you just look at and compare box scores but actually have never seen Montero's at bats against MLB pitching after he was brought up.

Yankees fans did and is the primary reason why there so much angst after this trade.

As a Yankee fan imo if Pineda gets off to slow start, struggles I think Cashman is done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : TWM Do you mean his catching needs more time? or is he a Napoli type now? I brought up the Lava/Montero comp b/c (as many have pointed out) Montero is ranked as an elite prospect unlike Lava.  Yet it is easy to find scouts comparing Lava favourably.   I feel it is fair to question if Montero is a "generational" prospect.   We can only go on what the scouts have said b/c neither has been seen much by any of us.  IMO the scouting is confusing: on one hand Montero is much higher in rankings while on the other hand his catching has been denegrated over the last year. Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE] Furthermore it looks like Seattle intends to have him catch. I watched Yogi Berra as a kid develope into a decent defensive catcher and personally had a few problems with Posada's defense but his hitting kept him on the field. If Montero's bat is what most scouts expect it to be I think the catching gaffes will be overlooked. But honestly i don't know at this stage of his career how good he will be defensively. Mike Piazza was another good hitting catcher with a so-so glove. Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE] Is Montero's .814 OPS at AAA at age 21 really that much better than Lavarnway's .907 OPS in A ball?  The problem for Montero is he was better at the same level at age 20 than his was at age 21.  If he spends this year at AAA, and his numbers drop again, and he fails to improve defensively, you might not see him on anybody's top prospect list.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Unless he's lost during the spring, Montero is not going to be at AAA this yr; and may I remind you of the large comparative #s between these 2 during their respective cups of coffee at the bigs last yr, in addition to the age difference. Also it is commonplace for scouts to disagree on prospects, even in the cases of Moore, Darvish, Strasburg, & Harper.

Based on what occurred last Aug-Sep, your should give your prediction/projection prowess a rest.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : I DID NOT DELETE MY POSTS FROM THIS THREAD and they are also missing from my history on my profile page. Neither are my above posts in my recent discussions.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Ok Pinocchio

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Babe vs. Pike.......I love it. It is a rare occasion that two such epic trolls in a race for the most bans and screen names in the history of BDC take each other on. It is akin to Ali vs. Frazier III
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Sadly thanks to pike attacking so many of the Red Sox fans here I find myself almost rooting for Yankee headache..... 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : I DID NOT DELETE MY POSTS FROM THIS THREAD and they are also missing from my history on my profile page. Neither are my above posts in my recent discussions. Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE] Ok then, maybe one of your other personalities took over and deleted them while you were comatose? Your next moniker? "Harvey Dent."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : You deleted it to lend credence to your claim I reported and/or had your post deleted. Lame, Pike, very lame. Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] Just like last week when he changed "emasculation" to "evisceration" in one of his posts to lend credence to the idea that I had misspelled it. I used the same word: "Lame".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Another Yankee pitching bust?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : Babe vs. Pike.......I love it. It is a rare occasion that two such epic trolls in a race for the most bans and screen names in the history of BDC take each other on. It is akin to Ali vs. Frazier III Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE] Last year when they were going at it on the game threads, I posted that it was like watching a death match between Benedict Arnold and John Wilkes Booth. Who do you root for?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Guess who just got back today?
    That shirtless boy that had been away
    Haven't changed, haven't much to say
    But man, I still think that cat is crazy

The forum's was askin' if you were around
    How you was, where you could be found
    Told them you were living downtown
    Driving all the old Yankee fans crazy

The boy is back in town
    The boy is back in town 

You know, that dude that used to post a lot
    Every night he'd be on the board posting what he thought
    Man when I tell you he was cool, he was red hot
    I mean he was streaming

And that time over at Jessey's place
    Well this dude got up and he slapped Jesse's face
    Man we just fell about the place
    If that dude don't want to know, forget him

Spread the word around
    Guess who's back in town?

You spread the word around

Friday night they'll be dressed to kill
    Down at Cask'n Flagon bar and grill
    The drink will flow and blood will spill
    And if the Smiley's want to fight, you'd better let him

That jukebox in the corner blasting out Sweet Caroline
    The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long
    Won't be long till summer comes
    Now that the boy ishere again

The boy is back in town
    The boy is back in town
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]Guess who just got back today? That shirtless boy that had been away Haven't changed, haven't much to say But man, I still think that cat is crazy The forum's was askin' if you were around How you was, where you could be found Told them you were living downtown Driving all the old Yankee fans crazy The boy is back in town The boy is back in town  You know, that dude that used to post a lot Every night he'd be on the board posting what he thought Man when I tell you he was cool, he was red hot I mean he was streaming And that time over at Jessey's place Well this dude got up and he slapped Jesse's face Man we just fell about the place If that dude don't want to know, forget him Spread the word around Guess who's back in town? You spread the word around Friday night they'll be dressed to kill Down at Cask'n Flagon bar and grill The drink will flow and blood will spill And if the Smiley's want to fight, you'd better let him That jukebox in the corner blasting out Sweet Caroline The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long Won't be long till summer comes Now that the boy ishere again The boy is back in town The boy is back in town http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]
    funny, I was thinking of that song earlier.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Not good news on David Robertson, MRI showed "cause for concern." Going in for more tests. Wouldn't be surprised if this turned into a Wang-like Lisfranc dislocation. Maybe the weight-bearing x-ray comes out clean but if they are going to give him a CT scan on the foot that itself is a reason for yanks worry about something being wrong.

Lisfranc dislocations are hard to see on regular x-rays so this MRI must have revealed some separation. Could be bad news for yanks this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

[QUOTE]Guess who just got back today? That shirtless boy that had been away Haven't changed, haven't much to say But man, I still think that cat is crazy The forum's was askin' if you were around How you was, where you could be found Told them you were living downtown Driving all the old Yankee fans crazy The boy is back in town The boy is back in town  You know, that dude that used to post a lot Every night he'd be on the board posting what he thought Man when I tell you he was cool, he was red hot I mean he was streaming And that time over at Jessey's place Well this dude got up and he slapped Jesse's face Man we just fell about the place If that dude don't want to know, forget him Spread the word around Guess who's back in town? You spread the word around Friday night they'll be dressed to kill Down at Cask'n Flagon bar and grill The drink will flow and blood will spill And if the Smiley's want to fight, you'd better let him That jukebox in the corner blasting out Sweet Caroline The nights are getting warmer, it won't be long Won't be long till summer comes Now that the boy ishere again The boy is back in town The boy is back in town http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

What are smoking? Pass it around.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Youkillus must be high on something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am literally rolling right now.

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Great song YOUKILLUS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : I am literally rolling right now. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Jess, I think you could take him 2 ot of 3 falls!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

[QUOTE]Great song YOUKILLUS.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
     Thanks, Hfx!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]TWM Do you mean his catching needs more time? or is he a Napoli type now? I brought up the Lava/Montero comp b/c (as many have pointed out) Montero is ranked as an elite prospect unlike Lava.  Yet it is easy to find scouts comparing Lava favourably.   I feel it is fair to question if Montero is a "generational" prospect.   We can only go on what the scouts have said b/c neither has been seen much by any of us.  IMO the scouting is confusing: on one hand Montero is much higher in rankings while on the other hand his catching has been denegrated over the last year.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]
    Jesus Montero is ranked well above fellow Seattle prospect Vinnie Catricala, a hitting machine whose minor league statistics surpass those posted by Ryan Lavarnway.

In some respects, Lavarnway resembles Catricala, a righthanded power hitter who has torn up minor league pitching while in search of a defensive position. Both are ranked behind Montero on prospect list despite superior hitting statistics in the minors. Baseball America ranks each player ninth on his team's prospect list*. Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com and John Sickels have Lavarnway fourth and Catricala sixth, Baseball Prospectus has Lavarnway fourth and Catricala eighth (before Montero's arrival) and FanGraphs has Lavarnway eighth and Catricala tenth.

Overall, Catricala ranks 134th and Lavarnway 139th on this "consensus" prospect list:

http://stealofhome.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/2012-consensus-top-185-prospects/

Here are the minor league lines for Lavarnway and Catricala:

Lavarnway .284/.376/.521/.897, 1601 PA
    Catricala .322/.397/.536/.933, 1423 PA**

Lavarnway, who is 14 months older than Catricala, has played only 78 games above the Double A level while Catricala has not played above the Double A level. The Mariners continue to look at Catricala at third base, where he was drafted, although Catricala's defensive struggles have prompted auditions at first base and in the outfield.

Lavarnway clearly has value if the Yale product can stick at catcher, but his value elsewhere is less clear. Likewise for Catricala if the Seattle prospect can't find a defensive position.

* the Mariner prospect list is more highly regarded at the top end than the Red Sox list

** even without his statistics from the hitter-friendly California League, Catricala's statistics hold up well against Lavarnway's stats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Another Yankee pitching bust?:
    [QUOTE]Hi guys!  Baseball's back and that means I am too.  You can't not keep a good man down. I see that the Yankees latest pitching fenom, Michael Pineda, came to camp overweight and was only hitting 89 mph in his first start.  Sounds like the Yankees may have another Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, AJ Burnett, etc on their hands.  Instead of costing them money this time, it cost them a potential future hall of famer in Jesus Monervo.  We'll see what happens, but this could be another one of cashman's blunders.
    Posted by Smileys_Back[/QUOTE]

Beni, you're finally back!  Great to see you here, and just in time. We had trouble putting up a realistic Yankee thread. At least now we have one. Cool Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : I DID NOT DELETE MY POSTS FROM THIS THREAD and they are also missing from my history on my profile page. Neither are my above posts in my recent discussions.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I don't believe you deleted your own post. I think it's incredibly rare for someone to do that. I certainly don't take the time to type up a post to delete it myself, and I've had posts deleted, and on one occasion was also told I deleted it myself. Not a chance. The content of your post pretty much tells the story. IMO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another Yankee pitching bust? : You deleted it to lend credence to your claim I reported and/or had your post deleted. Lame, Pike, very lame.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's because you have so many posts deleted. That's lame. IMO Especially, on a sports board where emotions are involved. People can barely talk here with your deletions. FTR, I think you should have to "report abuse" instead of having direct contacts where you can have anything you don't like removed. You should find your "ignore poster" and use it. Maybe that hasn't been suggested to you before your censorship started.

And I don't know why you're on a thread of a poster you had removed from the board because he was annoying some of the Yankee fans here.