Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

are you guys going to discredit every award that doesn't go to the Red Sox??...

[/QUOTE]

Nope. I am happy for Tito and I think its well deserved. The problem I have is that womans arguement for why Farrell wasnt even in the top 3. She contradicted herself and made herself look very bad by suggesting the only issue the Sox dealt with was Buchholz.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope. I am happy for Tito and I think its well deserved. The problem I have is that womans arguement for why Farrell wasnt even in the top 3. She contradicted herself and made herself look very bad by suggesting the only issue the Sox dealt with was Buchholz.

[/QUOTE] and you could have stopped right there...that's nuts...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WEEI had another BBWAA voter, Asuka Brown, on the air, to explain her reasons for voting for Melvin, Maddon and Showalter.

That interview will make you appreciate Christina Kahrl.

If you can stream WEEI, they're going to re-air the interview at 1:00.  I'll warn you, it's so bad, it's uncomfortable to listen to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The idea that your team must meet some prerequisite number of injuries in order for you to be considered for MOTY is strange in and of itself...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

WEEI had another BBWAA voter, Asuka Brown, on the air, to explain her reasons for voting for Melvin, Maddon and Showalter.

If you can stream WEEI, they're going to re-air the interview at 1:00.  I'll warn you, it's so bad, it's uncomfortable to listen to.

[/QUOTE]

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/13/bbwaa-member-asuka-brown-on-leaving-john-farrell-terry-francona-off-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-my-heart-says-my-votes-are-correct/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's so much deeper than you may or may not realize. Boston and anything related to it is a bad publicity for what is trying to be accomplished in this country. It's a symbol of freedom and the birth place of liberty. That is very, very bad to highlight in these times. I posted a response on that article in the comments section. That writer, she needs to be fired. She has a BBWAA vote. Unreal. Farrell could have lost, which is fine. But not to be top 3 in the AL? Even mid September, anybody would have argued he was top 3. Without question. More journalists need to be held accountable for idiotic things such as this. 

[/QUOTE]

thanks  for the most interesting and probable explanation

I've often wondered why the national tv announcers, nat media, umpires & BBWAA

hate RSN so much

as far as those chanting worse to 1st

doesn't that lose merit if the same fan trashed bobby v

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not sure if they vote for both

but I wonder if she had mattingly on her nl ballot

a case could be made that she secretly weighed the higher pay roll more than some

if no donnie on her ballot I could respect her AL voting more

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/11/13/bbwaa-member-asuka-brown-on-leaving-john-farrell-terry-francona-off-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-my-heart-says-my-votes-are-correct/

[/QUOTE]

That's the gist of it.

So much for putting any real effort into judging a manager's performance.

I can't wait until she gets a HOF vote.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not sure if they vote for both

but I wonder is she had mattingly on her nl ballot

a case could be made that she weighed the higher pay roll more than some

if no donnie on her ballot I could respect her AL voting more

[/QUOTE]

PSZ, I think they only vote in their own city's league. But I had the same thought about Mattingly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course. Come on, Jete, are you a rookie here or something?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Kahrl brought the Sox payroll into it but never mentioned the NYY payroll once while she was praising Girardi? So the Sox get penalized for that? Just because they arent cheapskates like a lot of the clubs out there? She also said their only real issue was Buchholz. Shes a complete idiot.

Brown didnt vote for farrell because of payroll. Oh, thats right DB, just because we had a payroll within the boundaries that MLB sets means we had no issues this year? What a dumb broad.

Buchholz goes down, Naps 1st year as a 1b, WMB being sent down, 2 closers with season ending surgery, our best LHP in the pen goes down, Ross out with a concussion, Pedey with a messed up thumb all year, Drew with a concussion, Papi starting late, etc, etc,.  Nope, they had a 160M+ payroll so everything else is void and null. cant wait til these 2 lovely ladies are voting for the HOF.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Couple o' things ...

First, the voting was done before the playoffs, which is probably why Tito didn't win in 2004. The fact that the Sox won the World Series is irrelevant.

Second, the notion of ESPN having an anti-Boston bias is laughable. ESPN is located about three hours from Boston. It employed a fanboy (Bill Simmons) who does little but drone on about his love for all things Boston.

Third, Francona winning was not a joke. Cleveland was a dreadful team (68-94) last season and made the playoffs this year with with the 10th-lowest payroll in MLB.

All of the above said, I believe Farrell should have been the winner even based on what he did in the regular season. From 69 to 97 wins after taking over the nut-house he took over was pretty impressive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really, LD. wouldn't you think he would have caught on during live chat?Tongue Out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry...but Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke, and proof that anti-Boston sentiment is still alive and well within ESPN. For example, take a look at this ridiculous explanation as to why Tito was selected...and Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42166/my-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-explained

The very fact that this idiot felt a need to "explain" his vote tells you all you need to know.

[/QUOTE]

Farrell should have gotten it.. No dought !!! But congrats to Tito for a job well done. Tito led Boston to 2 WORLD SERIES... Where was his MOY award? Two jokes on that one....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really, LD. wouldn't you think he would have caught on during live chat?Tongue Out

[/QUOTE] LOL!!..forgive me J and LD...where's my head?? Tongue OutSmile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sorry...but Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke, and proof that anti-Boston sentiment is still alive and well within ESPN. For example, take a look at this ridiculous explanation as to why Tito was selected...and Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42166/my-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-explained

The very fact that this idiot felt a need to "explain" his vote tells you all you need to know.

[/QUOTE]

Farrell should have gotten it.. No dought !!! But congrats to Tito for a job well done. Tito led Boston to 2 WORLD SERIES... Where was his MOY award? Two jokes on that one....

[/QUOTE]

Again, the voting is done before the playoffs begin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] LOL!!..forgive me J and LD...where's my head?? Tongue OutSmile

[/QUOTE]

In a New York state of mind?YellTongue Out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

PSZ, I think they only vote in their own city's league. But I had the same thought about Mattingly.

yeah that makes sense FJ

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It appears so jete.

FWIW I would have voted Farrell 3rd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If Farrell was so terrific , why didn't he win with Toronto?

The answer is he had the HORSES in Boston. Just as Francona had the HORSES in 2004.

Manager of the year is a dumb award, but I suppose it is something they feel obligated to do.

Players win games, managers make decisions. Sometimes a bad decision is forgotten because of a bad play by the opposition.....EXAMPLE: Farrell puts in Victornio with the bases loaded instead of Napoli....maybe Napoli hits a grand slam, maybe he strikes out. Victornio gets hit by a pitch ....the tying run scores on a HBP. Farrell is therefore a genius.

I think Francona gets the nod because of this lineup with Cleveland:

C- Yan Gomes...who?

1B-Nick Swisher

2B-Jason Kipnis

3B-Lonnie Chisenhall...who?

SS-Asdrubal Cabrera

LF-Michael Brantley....who?

CF- Michael Bourn

RF-Drew Stubbs...who?

Rotation- Justin Matserson,Ubaldo Jimenez, Scott Kazmir, Corey Kluber, Zach McCallister.

Bullpen with a cast of no names.

If you told me this team would be in the pennant race and win a Wild Card spot....I would've called you crazy.

If you told me that Farrell would get the Red Sox to first place , I'd say....it's possible, even though I wasn't really expecting it.

Boston payroll $157,594, 786 (4th from the top)

Cleveland payroll $82,517,300 (only 9 teams with smaller).

Case Closed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

I think she forgot that 3 vital pieces to the pen went down. 2 closers and our best LHP (Miller). Is that NOT a big deal? There were also other multiple issues like Ross' concussion and WMB having to be sent down. She just looked at the payroll and said, they should win. Every one of her colleagues predicted the Sox to finish last. Its a pretty weak azz arguement she presents if you ask me. Girardi gets credit for getting the most out of his team, who, by the way, has the largest payroll in the AL, but Farrell doesnt get the vote because of his payroll. This DB should never be able to vote again and just stick with the WNBA.

While I have no issue with Tito winning, I think this DB better re-evaluate things. Buch was this teams only issue? Not a very intelligent and observant woman if you ask me.

Congrats to Tito.

[/QUOTE]

Great analysis of the situation.  I agree that Francona was also very deserving but this woman voter definitely didn't do her research about the Red Sox. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's so much deeper than you may or may not realize. Boston and anything related to it is a bad publicity for what is trying to be accomplished in this country. It's a symbol of freedom and the birth place of liberty. That is very, very bad to highlight in these times. I posted a response on that article in the comments section. That writer, she needs to be fired. She has a BBWAA vote. Unreal. Farrell could have lost, which is fine. But not to be top 3 in the AL? Even mid September, anybody would have argued he was top 3. Without question. More journalists need to be held accountable for idiotic things such as this. 

[/QUOTE]

thanks  for the most interesting and probable explanation

I've often wondered why the national tv announcers, nat media, umpires & BBWAA

hate RSN so much

as far as those chanting worse to 1st

doesn't that lose merit if the same fan trashed bobby v

[/QUOTE]

It may nor may not be correct, but why else? Why is everywhere else better than Boston? In any sport. Other than Hernandez, no major PITA has played on the teams, recently at least. Hell, little known fact. New York didn't even vote yea in independence. They abstained. Trust me, I believe everything is done with a purpose. They don't want shots of Bunker Hill, or the Consitution and have kids ask what was that about. They hate it when a Boston team goes deep and worse case, wins a championship. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where was Titos MOY award before the playoffs before Sox won 2 world series under Titos watch....again!!!!

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Where was Titos MOY award before the playoffs before Sox won 2 world series under Titos watch....again!!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe I misunderstood your earlier point, but it seemed you were wondering why Tito didn't win MOY in '04 and '07 despite winning the World Series.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe I misunderstood your earlier point, but it seemed you were wondering why Tito didn't win MOY in '04 and '07 despite winning the World Series.

[/QUOTE]

I think Francona deserved the award more, for what he did after winning the WS.

Particularly in 2005. The team was a mess that year and they still made the playoffs.