Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Anti-Boston Sentiment Robs Farrell of Manager of the Year

That's like saying an anti-Cleveland bias cost Indian general manager Chris Antonetti the executive of the year award.

For what it's worth, the Indians won 92 regular season games on an Opening Day payroll of $82.5 million while the Red Sox won 97 games on a payroll of $159 million. In 2012, Cleveland won 68 games and Boston 69.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from terminator-x. Show terminator-x's posts

ESPN discussed the AL MoY voting. Among the 10 votes from writers in AL West cities, Terry got 6 first place votes and Farrell got 2. They otherwise got the votes from writers in their own regions. And there you have it; the West coast writers liked Terry more. Funny that Terry never won it here despite winning two WS.

I'm not sure that there was any "anti-Boston" bias, but once teams start winning, they engender a love em/hate em reaction -- like the Yankees or Celtics. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/33447/tito-tops-farrell-for-manager-of-the-year

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

I have to chuckle on the anti-Boston bias of ESPN because many people west of New England think that ESPN is pro Red Sox. I live in the Philly area and I hear that a lot around here. Our team won the World Series so this really doesen't bother me. Come on! After this wonderful year, who cares about this award? Not that Farrell didn't deserve it if he won but Francona is a good choice. My only problem with this writer is that he said Boston was suppose to win and he still picked them fourth. Then said the only significant injury was Buch. And remember, they vote for this before the playoffs start. Look at the MVP voting.  Cabrera may have won because the Tigers finished first. I wonder if the O's had made the playoffs if Chris Davis would have won.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have to chuckle on the anti-Boston bias of ESPN because many people west of New England think that ESPN is pro Red Sox. I live in the Philly area and I hear that a lot around here. Our team won the World Series so this really doesen't bother me. Come on! After this wonderful year, who cares about this award? Not that Farrell didn't deserve it if he won but Francona is a good choice. My only problem with this writer is that he said Boston was suppose to win and he still picked them fourth. Then said the only significant injury was Buch. And remember, they vote for this before the playoffs start. Look at the MVP voting.  Cabrera may have won because the Tigers finished first. I wonder if the O's had made the playoffs if Chris Davis would have won.

[/QUOTE] so one might ask, why go to the trouble of burying a team in your offseason prognos if they are "supposed" to win?... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sorry...but Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke, and proof that anti-Boston sentiment is still alive and well within ESPN. For example, take a look at this ridiculous explanation as to why Tito was selected...and Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42166/my-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-explained

The very fact that this idiot felt a need to "explain" his vote tells you all you need to know.

[/QUOTE]

If there is anti-Boston sentiment, it may mean that the Red Sox have arrived at the top.  Being reviled by rival teams and fans comes with the territory of success.  Revel in it, Red Sox fans.  If it means that some member of the team or organization gets cheated out of an award, so be it.  The World Series trophy is the only one that matters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

Sorry...but Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke, and proof that anti-Boston sentiment is still alive and well within ESPN. For example, take a look at this ridiculous explanation as to why Tito was selected...and Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/42166/my-al-manager-of-the-year-ballot-explained

The very fact that this idiot felt a need to "explain" his vote tells you all you need to know.

If there is anti-Boston sentiment, it may mean that the Red Sox have arrived at the top.  Being reviled by rival teams and fans comes with the territory of success.  Revel in it, Red Sox fans.  If it means that some member of the team or organization gets cheated out of an award, so be it.  The World Series trophy is the only one that matters.

[/QUOTE] but isn't that sort of the same things you guys have taken the Yanks to task for??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] but isn't that sort of the same things you guys have taken the Yanks to task for??

[/QUOTE] end of the day, it is what it is...i don't think any team apologizes for being the best team that year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke"

If you can take off the homer glasses for a second - 

Tito got almost as many wins as Farrell with a roster $100 million less in payroll. 

Farrell's fine - he would have been a deserving winner but he has a World Series ring and no complaints. 

"Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead:"

Hate to intrude again on your "argument" from the world of facts, but both Francona and Farrell were left off the same number of ballots (2 each). 

In the end, Farrell finishes second. At worst this is a minor disappointment, it's far from an outrage.

Francona managed in the AL central, Farrell in the AL East, big difference.  He radically turned the Sox around despite 2 disastrous closers--Hanrahan & Bailey--injuries to Buchholz & Ells.  Very few superstars, just great rotation and line-up management by Farrell, great chemistry, spearheaded by Farrell, and a lot of gritty performances.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to joyceand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Tito Francona being awarded Manager of the Year over John Farrell is a joke"

If you can take off the homer glasses for a second - 

Tito got almost as many wins as Farrell with a roster $100 million less in payroll. 

Farrell's fine - he would have been a deserving winner but he has a World Series ring and no complaints. 

"Farrell doid not even receive a second or third place vote from this ESPN conehead:"

Hate to intrude again on your "argument" from the world of facts, but both Francona and Farrell were left off the same number of ballots (2 each). 

In the end, Farrell finishes second. At worst this is a minor disappointment, it's far from an outrage.

[/QUOTE]
    Francona managed in the AL central, Farrell in the AL East, big difference.  He radically turned the Sox around despite 2 disastrous closers--Hanrahan & Bailey--injuries to Buchholz & Ells.  Very few superstars, just great rotation and line-up management by Farrell, great chemistry, spearheaded by Farrell, and a lot of gritty performances.

[/QUOTE]

Now take a look at Cleveland's roster.  'Very few superstars' would be a colossal understatement.

Cleveland's closers, Perez and Pestano, were also a disaster.

Looking at that team it's a miracle they made the playoffs. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I still say it's because of the complete incompetence of Bobby V.  He delivered way under expectations -- remember "the greatest team ever" BS we got from the Sox via NESN?

BV was so bad that Farrell just had to sit there and not be a dunce and he'd win 90.  I like Farrell, and I hope he stays with the team, and I think he did a great job this year.  But just sayin' -- that's how awful Bobby V was.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I still say it's because of the complete incompetence of Bobby V.  He delivered way under expectations -- remember "the greatest team ever" BS we got from the Sox via NESN?

BV was so bad that Farrell just had to sit there and not be a dunce and he'd win 90.  I like Farrell, and I hope he stays with the team, and I think he did a great job this year.  But just sayin' -- that's how awful Bobby V was.

while it is a  different team

I think there's some merit to that

which is why on pg 2 I asked

/as far as those fans chanting worse to 1st

doesn't that lose merit if the same fan trashed bobby v/