Any concerns about our bullpen ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Any concerns about our bullpen ?

I was checking the bullpen roster and the following should remain in the pen

Bailey last year after injury whip was 1.89 our closer hopefully a good rebound for him

Beato Tazawa Melacon  Acevez Mortenson Atchison all righties including Bailey are probably are next season bull pen staff. Morales is lefty and need to keep him in the bull pen for the time being.

Looking at the rest Bard 1.74 WHIP is he worth keeping or trade value and the other kids on the roster will need more time in the minors.

The lefty reliever out there is Affeldt is good lefty will help the bullpen and the sox are going to need 2 more lefties in the pen any suggestions, who is out there. Also the sox did loose a few gms. in the late innings. Our pitching coaches and Farrel will need to take serious look at this problem.

Is it me or do most baseball fans always neglect the bullpen when trades and FA rumours occur ?

One stat that i did like in the minors is the knuckleballer Wright.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Any concerns about our bullpen ?

The pen  was the Sox strength last year--I think a little tweaking might help.

I would consider signing a new closer if Ben C moves to strengthen the rotation by adding two or three of the following: Sanchez, Harden,Marcum, Jackson and /or McCarthy.

If Ben adds--I would hope the Sox go after Soriano on a one or two year contract  and  trade Bailey.  Tazawa, Miller, Morales, Hill, Breslow, Melancon, Aceves and perhaps Mort for cleanup. 

A little strange re. Soriano but I just don't feel Bailey was the person the staff would have a great deal of confidence in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was checking the bullpen roster and the following should remain in the pen

Bailey last year after injury whip was 1.89 our closer hopefully a good rebound for him

Beato Tazawa Melacon  Acevez Mortenson Atchison all righties including Bailey are probably are next season bull pen staff. Morales is lefty and need to keep him in the bull pen for the time being.

Looking at the rest Bard 1.74 WHIP is he worth keeping or trade value and the other kids on the roster will need more time in the minors.

The lefty reliever out there is Affeldt is good lefty will help the bullpen and the sox are going to need 2 more lefties in the pen any suggestions, who is out there. Also the sox did loose a few gms. in the late innings. Our pitching coaches and Farrel will need to take serious look at this problem.

Is it me or do most baseball fans always neglect the bullpen when trades and FA rumours occur ?

One stat that i did like in the minors is the knuckleballer Wright.

[/QUOTE]

We have Morales, Miller and Hill as lefties.

Past that, I don't know that Bailey is a lock.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves will probably be traded, as might Breslow, Hill or Atchison, since they are not part of our 2014 and beyond plans.

Tazawa will likely be in thepe and should give us a nice boost there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aceves will probably be traded, as might Breslow, Hill or Atchison, since they are not part of our 2014 and beyond plans.

Tazawa will likely be in thepe and should give us a nice boost there.

[/QUOTE]

Half the RPs in BB are probbly on one-year deals.  That's not a reason for trading them.  Breslow might get a small return, but Hill and Atchison are basically waiver bait.  We signed Hill as a FA 3 times.  Atchison has a torn ulnar ligament and has also passed through waivers.  They are much more valuable to us.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sweeney (see above)
    Red Sox should tender and then trade:

All summer you bashed me for wanting to "trade our best defensive OF'er". Yesterday, you said we should nontender him.

Cue: lies and distortions and something about Wake.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

ACtuslly I love the Sox bullpen.

To be clear, I love them, but I would not "make love" to them.

Unless maybe?

No... Never... Not even if... <sigh>

Oh, what the heck.  I guess one time woudn't hurt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we assume no picther additions (I hope not!) and these guys as our starters:

Lester, Buch, Lack, Doub and Morales...

this is our 2013 pen...

If healthy locks:

1) Bailey

2) Aceves

3) Breslow

4) Miller

5) Tazawa

If healthy (2 from these):

6) Bard

7) Mortensen

8) Atchison

9) R Hill

10) Melancon

Probable in AAA:

11) Beato

12) Carpenter

13) Wilson

If de la Rosa or Webster make it as a ML starter, then we'd have Morales in the pen.

Since I do not see much difference between our guys from #6 to #10, I think we should make a move to more quality at the expense of quantity. Since Breslow and Hill will be FAs after 2013 and Atchison is old, I'd look to trade 2 or 3 of them as part of larger deal(s) that will bring us a higher quality player(s) in return.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Concise answer?  Yes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

More detailed answer?

The Sox have more decent arms than they can use at any one time, and probably should trade some off if they can get value in return.   Anyone who does not think the Sox need to find a closer AND at least one dependable set-up man (whether that is done in ST with the arms and talent available, or through trade and/or FA signing) wasn't paying attention last season.  As moon, said...quality over quantity. 

Last season Aceves, in the role of closer, lost 10 games and blew 8 saves. Turn just half of those into wins and the Sox are pretty much a .500 club. Add in the 4 losses and 8 blown saves that Bailey, Melancon and Padilla contributed, and turn half of those into wins; now the Sox are better than .500 on the season without improving their rotation at all.

They need to improve their bullpen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More detailed answer?

The Sox have more decent arms than they can use at any one time, and probably should trade some off if they can get value in return.   Anyone who does not think the Sox need to find a closer AND at least one dependable set-up man (whether that is done in ST with the arms and talent available, or through trade and/or FA signing) wasn't paying attention last season.  As moon, said...quality over quantity. 

Last season Aceves, in the role of closer, lost 10 games and blew 8 saves. Turn just half of those into wins and the Sox are pretty much a .500 club. Add in the 4 losses and 8 blown saves that Bailey, Melancon and Padilla contributed, and turn half of those into wins; now the Sox are better than .500 on the season without improving their rotation at all.

They need to improve their bullpen.

[/QUOTE]

Our pen was not our biggest weakness last year, although our back-up closers did poorly.

Bailey has a pretty good record when healthy, and I just don't see us making the closer position a high enough priority to warrant a move. Like it or not, Bailey is the man. Personally, I think Bailey will do much better than Aceves did in 2012. There aren't many steady closers available anyways- ones with a better record over the past 3-4 years as Bailey.

I hope that moving Bard and Aceves from their comfort roles hasn't ruined them forever, but those two were two of the best set-up men in MLB in 2011. 

I think Ben will see that 10 relievers fighting for 7 slots is enough. If he trades 2 or 3 of them to upgrade at other positions, then perhaps Ben will sign a FA set-up man to bolster the quality, but I wouldn't count on it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Bullpens are very fickle.  That's why I don't scoff at at holding onto as many arms as you can juggle around the options/waiver system.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bullpens are very fickle.  That's why I don't scoff at at holding onto as many arms as you can juggle around the options/waiver system.  

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but when you have so many holes to fill this winter, trading from a position of depth sometimes is the act of necessity.

RPs are also the easiest position to acquire during the season. Plus, I think Wislon & Carpenter are ML ready and give us 12 RPs for 7 slots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Boston's bullpen has been pretty good.  

I hope Bard gets back to his former self.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

Bailey scares me

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RickEO's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bailey scares me

[/QUOTE]

He should be fine, but nothing is for sure in MLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bailey scares me

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has to be good, we traded Reddick to get him, remember? You can't blame him for his poor performance this year, he was coming off an injury. We should know after ST if he's going to be our closer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bailey scares me

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He has to be good, we traded Reddick to get him, remember? You can't blame him for his poor performance this year, he was coming off an injury. We should know after ST if he's going to be our closer.

[/QUOTE]

We know now.

He is our closer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Were going into 2013 with Bailey set at close. Its his job to lose.

We do have 4 available LHP in the pen with a couple having good value (Miller, Morales). I like Breslow as he is good against LH and RH batters. I think we could bring back something good with Morales. Young LH flame thrower under control for a few years.

Like Ive said,  the usual with bp arm should be multiple st invites and ML contracts hoping a couople stick...

Ive got Bailey, Tazawa, Melancon, Aceves, Breslow, Miller and guys like Mort, Wilson, beato and carpenter...Bard is the wildcard in all this. If he comes back to form, were in great shape.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I keep forgetting about Breslow.  He is a keeper IMO.

Morales's potential as a starter intrigues me, and maybe that means he has more trade value than others, but with the Sox starting staff I'd prefer to keep Morales around for that 6th spot.  He may be able to be the dependable #4 starter the team has lacked.

If Tazawa is not being considered as a starter anymore, I would think he should be in the hunt for 8th inning duties, and possibly the closer's role if Bailey fails at it again.  Tazawa doesn't walk many, and strikes out a fair share.  Low WHIP and high swing and miss rate makes him a great closer candidate, IMO.