Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?

so can anyone please explain to me why we did not sign this guy? he has 6 homers and 15 rbi's and is hitting .333. which are better offensive numbers than anyone on our team. yet theo decided to go with salty and varitek over him? thanks theo for yet again failing to get us a quality starting catcher. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?

In Response to Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?:
    [QUOTE]so can anyone please explain to me why we did not sign this guy? he has 6 homers and 15 rbi's and is hitting .333. which are better offensive numbers than anyone on our team. yet theo decided to go with salty and varitek over him? thanks theo for yet again failing to get us a quality starting catcher. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

And you have the great benefit of 20/20 hindsight.  Do you think Martin is going to hit 80 hrs and drive in 190?  If that is the case then Martin should be getting paid Puljos money.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

RSP34 your on fire!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumandrew. Show glumandrew's posts

Martin was ditched by the Dodgers, they threw him out like dishwater. No other teams were interested except for Boston and the Yankees. He had an injury and was looking at post season surgery for a different problem. Theo considered the risks and declined signing him. Would you have started this thread without 20-20 hindsight. 20-20 hindsight is always right 100% of the time - lucky you - you can read the newspapers and feel superior to the GM who doesn't have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight. Yankees lucked out, end of story for now, but thanks so much for starting a trolling thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin?:
    [QUOTE]Martin was ditched by the Dodgers, they threw him out like dishwater. No other teams were interested except for Boston and the Yankees. He had an injury and was looking at post season surgery for a different problem. Theo considered the risks and declined signing him. Would you have started this thread without 20-20 hindsight. 20-20 hindsight is always right 100% of the time - lucky you - you can read the newspapers and feel superior to the GM who doesn't have the benefit of 20-20 hindsight. Yankees lucked out, end of story for now, but thanks so much for starting a trolling thread.
    Posted by glumandrew[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

[QUOTE]so can anyone please explain to me why we did not sign this guy? he has 6 homers and 15 rbi's and is hitting .333. which are better offensive numbers than anyone on our team. yet theo decided to go with salty and varitek over him? thanks theo for yet again failing to get us a quality starting catcher. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he signed here he'd be batting .033 right now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

GUYS AND GALS...ITS MORE THAN LUCK...THE ANSWER THAT
    THE YANKS LUCKED OUT,AND THE RESPONSE, "BINGO" ARE
    SO LAME. THE YANKS DID MORE ANALYSIS AND WERE SMARTER.
    THEY WERE SMART NOT TO SIGN A STIFF LIKE CAMERON OR
    A GUY LIKE SALTY. WHAT DOES THAT TELL US ABOUT THEO ??
    THEY SIGNED GRANDERSON AND GAVE UP JACKSON...IS
    THAT JUST BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME...
    OR IS THERE SOMETHING MORE TO IT. THEY GET A GOLD
    GLOVER, CHAVEZ TO COME OFF THE BENCH AND HIT AND
    PLAY THE FIELD TO KEEP A ROD HEALTHY. GUYS...LETS NOT
    TALK BULL AND DEFEND THEO. THE YANKS ARE JUST
    SMARTER BASEBALL MINDS. THEY WON THE MOST RECENT
    WS IN 2009 SO THAT MAKES THEM THE TEAM TO BEAT,NOT
    US. THE TRUTH MAY HURT. WHY IS TEK STILL OUR CATCHER.
    WOULD HE BE PLAYING IF HE WERE ON THE YANKS. REALLY ????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I was hoping this winter that we'd sign Martin rather than putting all our eggs in the Salty basket (this was my position at the time, not hindsight)...but at this point it is what it is, no use dwelling on it. As others have noted, Martin was by no means a sure thing himself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]I was hoping this winter that we'd sign Martin rather than putting all our eggs in the Salty basket (this was my position at the time, not hindsight)...but at this point it is what it is, no use dwelling on it. As others have noted, Martin was by no means a sure thing himself.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

That's funny because I'm putting eggs in my kid's Easter baskets right now and flipping to The Ten Commandments!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumandrew. Show glumandrew's posts

Don't forget to put Redsoxpride on your ignore list. Anyone who starts a thread like this minutes after Martin hits two HRs must be considered a troll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

No. Martin was asking too much and Theo's risk/reward algorithm hiccuped when the numbers were crunched.  Not a value purchase. Sorry, Russ.

Still to early to give up on Salty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]No. Martin was asking too much and Theo's risk/reward algorithm hiccuped when the numbers were crunched.  Not a value purchase. Sorry, Russ. Still to early to give up on Salty.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

But he is doing so well.  We should have signed him because of course we all knew he'd have a great April.  Will they let me play the powerball after I read the numbers in the paper?  If so, I'll be rich!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin? : That's funny because I'm putting eggs in my kid's Easter baskets right now and flipping to The Ten Commandments!
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]
    LOL, I'll pretend that was an intentional Easter allusion on my part. Smile

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

there is nothing trolling related about this thread. its the truth. theo took a huge risk by going with salty who is unproven in every regard and keeping tek as his back up who cannot play full time if need be. martin has a track record and has put up some good offensive numbers in the past and is pretty good defensively. obviously no one predicted he would be doing as good as he is but even before the season i was in favor of signing martin. he did not want very much money and was a low risk high reward signing which is usually a fan of. apparently after all his recent failures in that department he decided not to take a chance on martin and go with an unproven guy in salty and a 39 yr old who can only play part time. not a very good strategy. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumandrew. Show glumandrew's posts

I'm convinced that most of these nitwits could not give you the definition of 20-20 hindsight if their life depended on it. They just can't grasp the relevance of the concept.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

you're not allowed to post that in the minds of some on this board that makes you not a red sox fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]there is nothing trolling related about this thread. its the truth. theo took a huge risk by going with salty who is unproven in every regard and keeping tek as his back up who cannot play full time if need be. martin has a track record and has put up some good offensive numbers in the past and is pretty good defensively. obviously no one predicted he would be doing as good as he is but even before the season i was in favor of signing martin. he did not want very much money and was a low risk high reward signing which is usually a fan of. apparently after all his recent failures in that department he decided not to take a chance on martin and go with an unproven guy in salty and a 39 yr old who can only play part time. not a very good strategy. 

Its not that Theo didn't take a risk.  The OP talks about Martin's April stats as a major reason the Sox should have signed him.  Is that so hard for you to grasp?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin? : Its not that Theo didn't take a risk.  The OP talks about Martin's April stats as a major reason the Sox should have signed him.  Is that so hard for you to grasp?
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Jim, 

Redsoxpride34 can't seem to grasp that Martin's injury in itself was serious enough that the Dodgers, most likely with advice from thier doctors decided not to resign Martin. I'm sure the Dodgers would have liked to have kept Martin if the diagnosis wasn't that severe. 

Weighing one against the other, I'd rather see the Red Sox sign a healthy catcher rather than one with possible health issues. If Salty has his issues, we atleast have someone to catch while Theo searches MLB for a replacement, and in the long term will still have Salty who might work out given more time. If Martin's hip gives out, your only have an older Tek as you're starter and now you're searching feverishly in desperation for a catcher. That's not a great place to be.  

Hetchinspete.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin? : Jim,  Redsoxpride34 can't seem to grasp that Martin's injury in itself was serious enough that the Dodgers, most likely with advice from thier doctors decided not to resign Martin. I'm sure the Dodgers would have liked to have kept Martin if the diagnosis wasn't that severe.  Weighing one against the other, I'd rather see the Red Sox sign a healthy catcher rather than one with possible health issues. If Salty has his issues, we atleast have someone to catch while Theo searches MLB for a replacement, and in the long term will still have Salty who might work out given more time. If Martin's hip gives out, your only have an older Tek as you're starter and now you're searching feverishly in desperation for a catcher. That's not a great place to be.   Hetchinspete.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind salty has had been quite injury prone so far in his career so its not like he has been healthy all the time and is not an injury risk. ya martin was coming off a fairly serious injury but he was obviously healthy enough for the yankees to sign him to be their starting catcher. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

salty needs more than a month to prove his worth   patience my friend...but Martin is destroying the ball in NY

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

Redsoxpride sounds to me like a closet Yankee fan.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else wish Theo had signed Russell Martin? : Sorry you wrong, Martin decided to play for the Yankees not the RS, The RS went after him with full force.
    Posted by greatestNYY[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anything about whether Theo went after him.  You miss the point.  The point is that 20/20 hindsight is not available to decision makers.  Why is this so hard for people to comprehend?