Anyone noticing?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Re: Anyone noticing?

Still a little early. Hanrahan stated that he was even worse in ST 2011 until last week to 10 days of camp. The other day he would have had clean inning if it weren't for Drew Suttons 2 E's in that IP, yesterdy wasn't good, but a lot of pitchers hitting the wall, Cole Hammels was god awful vs. Dominican team couple days ago. Probably does have some other things going on w/ birth of son in the next few days. Hopefully new man when he returns. Keep the faith, he was an allstar last 2 years.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Not sure who out of the group of Stoly Pimental; Jerry Sands; Mark Melancon; and Ivan Dejesus were the two who were some of our top prospects. I'm guesing pimental and melancon because dejesus and sands were marginal prospects at best, though melancon was already a major leaguer with 147 ml appearances and not a "prospect" and pimental was definitely not a top ten guy. pimental had about 8 pitchers ahead of him in the system so the likelihood of him pitching for the Sox was remote. melancon was obviously bad in his short time here (though better toward the end), though at 27, having pitched well in a small market NL environment, one could see him return toi being a decent reliever in Pittsburgh. However, you can't get something for nothing and there was no gaurantee he was going to pitch better in Boston. price of doing business and very replaceable with the red sox' payroll. with bailey and bard (not to mention Aceves; Lackey; Lester; and Bucholtz) already huge questions, you just couldn't go into the season hoping a third guy in the bullpen got his stuff together too. 

ueahara is not a closer. he is a classic set up guy. 

it would be doubtful the red sox would place bard in a closer spot for quite some time no matter how well he picthes. getting him to the point of being a serviceable major league pitcher would be an accomplishment right now after a horrendous decision to try to make him a starter. last thing in the world this kid needs is additional pressure. 

after bailey's failures last season the team needed to bring in a legit proven closer. whether hanrahan was the right guy remains to be seen, but you cannot judge much from spring training. 

the good news with this year's pitching staff is that despite some major questions with the starters (and a few withe the releivers) there is legitimate depth in terms of the bullpen. a bunch of things are going to have to go wrong for that part of the staff to be less than solid, i.e. two of the starters go down, bard blows up again, hanrahan AND Bailey are both bad, etc. there are at least 11-12 legitimate candidates for 7 spots and a number of other quality arms in the minors as well. this should be the strongest part of an otherwise average team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

yeah Ali, who was the top prospect(s) we gave up for hanrahan?!???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

Not sure who out of the group of Stoly Pimental; Jerry Sands; Mark Melancon; and Ivan Dejesus were the two who were some of our top prospects. I'm guesing pimental and melancon because dejesus and sands were marginal prospects at best, though melancon was already a major leaguer with 147 ml appearances and not a "prospect" and pimental was definitely not a top ten guy. pimental had about 8 pitchers ahead of him in the system so the likelihood of him pitching for the Sox was remote. melancon was obviously bad in his short time here (though better toward the end), though at 27, having pitched well in a small market NL environment, one could see him return toi being a decent reliever in Pittsburgh. However, you can't get something for nothing and there was no gaurantee he was going to pitch better in Boston. price of doing business and very replaceable with the red sox' payroll. with bailey and bard (not to mention Aceves; Lackey; Lester; and Bucholtz) already huge questions, you just couldn't go into the season hoping a third guy in the bullpen got his stuff together too. 

ueahara is not a closer. he is a classic set up guy. 

it would be doubtful the red sox would place bard in a closer spot for quite some time no matter how well he picthes. getting him to the point of being a serviceable major league pitcher would be an accomplishment right now after a horrendous decision to try to make him a starter. last thing in the world this kid needs is additional pressure. 

after bailey's failures last season the team needed to bring in a legit proven closer. whether hanrahan was the right guy remains to be seen, but you cannot judge much from spring training. 

the good news with this year's pitching staff is that despite some major questions with the starters (and a few withe the releivers) there is legitimate depth in terms of the bullpen. a bunch of things are going to have to go wrong for that part of the staff to be less than solid, i.e. two of the starters go down, bard blows up again, hanrahan AND Bailey are both bad, etc. there are at least 11-12 legitimate candidates for 7 spots and a number of other quality arms in the minors as well. this should be the strongest part of an otherwise average team. 

This ^^^^^^

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess we should have gotten Foulke "outta of here" in 2004 after his spring that year.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Oakland will let us have Reddick back. Dosen't hurt to ask!

Is this Reddick guy a good closer?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks' comment:

Papelbon gave us closer reliability... I miss that guy 

Yeah, 

And all too many Red Sox fans would only beetch and moan on this site about Paps inconsistency. Too many fans love a player when they are going good and turn coat when the player has one or two bad outings. They don't seem to realize players have good and bad outings, hopefully many more good outings of course and all players have good seasons and off seasons as well. 

As for Hanrahan, from what I've read previous to this he has a history of being notoriously bad in spring training so I'm not too worried until the season begins. 

Hetch

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I guess we should have gotten Foulke "outta of here" in 2004 after his spring that year.

Moon, 

Good point. I'm almost sure even Ted Williams had a lousy Spring on occassion in his long career. If Albert Pujols had come to Boston instead of LA I'm sure many fans would have written him off as old and over the hill after his disastrous start last year but all in all he came back and had a year most players would consider a great season but for him it was a down year. 

Hetch