Are Sox Starters Doing Their Homework?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Are Sox Starters Doing Their Homework?

I really wonder how much time our staff spends on studying video and trends of opposing hitters. Are they really fully preparing for their starts or just doing the minimum.
    Additionally, how is the coaching staff helping each starter in their preparation?
    I would like to know exactly what each guy does between starts to get ready for the next one.
    Anyone know?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Are Sox Starters Doing Their Homework?

I thought yesterday was a perfect example of good preparation by both Bard and Stoppach.  The problem wasn't what to throw, but what staying composed when someone got a single--not back to back doubles or dingers but a lousy single.  All of sudden Bard wanted to pick someone off and balked not once but twice, so the Royals scored 3 runs on 3 singles.  Bard went 7 innings throwing 86 pitches, 29 of of which were in that 3 run inning.  That means he went 6 innings while throwing 57 pitches and giving up 0 runs.  That has great preparation all over it. 

Then in the 8th Bard walked a guy and and then another.  Out of the blue.  I just don't see how that's a product of lousy preparation. 

All the preparation in the world ain't worth much if you can't execute with good stuff and in the right locations. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In Response to Re: Are Sox Starters Doing Their Homework?:
    [QUOTE]I thought yesterday was a perfect example of good preparation by both Bard and Stoppach.  The problem wasn't what to throw, but what staying composed when someone got a single--not back to back doubles or dingers but a lousy single.  All of sudden Bard wanted to pick someone off and balked not once but twice, so the Royals scored 3 runs on 3 singles.  Bard went 7 innings throwing 86 pitches, 29 of of which were in that 3 run inning.  That means he went 6 innings while throwing 57 pitches and giving up 0 runs.  That has great preparation all over it.  Then in the 8th Bard walked a guy and and then another.  Out of the blue.  I just don't see how that's a product of lousy preparation.  All the preparation in the world ain't worth much if you can't execute with good stuff and in the right locations. 

A big question for me was Why was he coming out for the 8th.  He struggled in the 7th and got out of a jam with a nice K.  If I am managing the team its time for the bullpen.  Thanks Bard great performance you got us into the 8th with a 1 run lead. Then all hell breaks lose, go figure.  Bobby V is responsible for this loss not Bard.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

He came out for the 8th because he had thrown just 86 pitches and been very effective, 3-7th innings.  In the 7th two guys got on with a grounder and a soft line drive that dropped in.  The next two batters hit the ball weakly, and the third one struck out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Josh Beckett is playing hooky.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Why would any of these guys do anything that would amount to homework when there's no one to hold them accountable if its not done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from roberr48. Show roberr48's posts

In Response to Are Sox Starters Doing Their Homework?:
    [QUOTE]I really wonder how much time our staff spends on studying video and trends of opposing hitters. Are they really fully preparing for their starts or just doing the minimum. Additionally, how is the coaching staff helping each starter in their preparation? I would like to know exactly what each guy does between starts to get ready for the next one. Anyone know?
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Good points........There is no way these guys are studying.....
    All 5 starters throw way to many pitches....giving the opposition Hitters Counts ...McClure needs to challenge these guys to attack the strike zone.....this is ugly....Lester is in love with his cutter...hard pitch to consistently throw for strikes....great if the batter swings, if he doesn't you fall behind quick..Yeah they are not touching the books, Heck, they are not even going to class..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]I thought yesterday was a perfect example of good preparation by both Bard and Stoppach.  The problem wasn't what to throw, but what staying composed when someone got a single--not back to back doubles or dingers but a lousy single.  All of sudden Bard wanted to pick someone off and balked not once but twice, so the Royals scored 3 runs on 3 singles.  Bard went 7 innings throwing 86 pitches, 29 of of which were in that 3 run inning.  That means he went 6 innings while throwing 57 pitches and giving up 0 runs.  That has great preparation all over it.  Then in the 8th Bard walked a guy and and then another.  Out of the blue.  I just don't see how that's a product of lousy preparation.  All the preparation in the world ain't worth much if you can't execute with good stuff and in the right locations. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I don't believe a pitcher walking batters in the 8th would be considered out of the blue. Amazing he was still in there.

And a know a catcher who's middle name was "preparation". It's quite possible that pitchers became quite comfortable with that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]This is what Beckett does between starts; he is very industrious:
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to see what Burrito sees in your posts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I was channel surfing the other day and came across Yanks manager doing an interview and he said something that goes along with this post.  He said that the pitchers that give the Yanks the most trouble are the ones that throw strikes.  The Sox pitchers do not throw strikes - they try to nibble at the corners or get you to chase bad pitches.