Are the Red Sox Playing Mind Games With Other Teams on Salty and McCann?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Are the Red Sox Playing Mind Games With Other Teams on Salty and McCann?

I wonder if the Red Sox have been talking up McCann to drive up the price for him to force other teams to spend more, and downplaying Salty to depress is price with the plan of actually bringing Salty back.

Just wonderin'.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Are the Red Sox Playing Mind Games With Other Teams on Salty and McCann?

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron rates Brian McCann as the top bargain in the 2014 free agents class:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-bargains-of-the-2014-free-agent-class/

... while ranking Jarrod Saltlamacchia third on his list of "Land Mines" of the free agent class:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-land-mines-of-the-2014-free-agent-class/

The assessment would seem to go against conventional wisdom, but who am I to determine conventional wisdom?Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if the Red Sox have been talking up McCann to drive up the price for him to force other teams to spend more, and downplaying Salty to depress is price with the plan of actually bringing Salty back.

Just wonderin'.

[/QUOTE]

Well, since you're talkin' mind games, maybe the Red Sox had something to do with planting the fangraphs piece provided on the link from Hill.

Everyone expects McCann to end up in Texas, but he seems like exactly what the Red Sox are looking for in a player, and the decision to not extend a qualifying offer toJarrod Saltalamacchia probably indicates that they didn’t want to risk losing out on going after McCann. I’d imagine that Boston would love McCann at 4/60, but I’d expect the winner to have to go to at least five years and maybe six. He’s a premium player, and even if the last year or two is an overpay, there’s a ton of short term value that would still make 5/75 or 6/90 a worthwhile contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron rates Brian McCann as the top bargain in the 2014 free agents class:

... while ranking Jarrod Saltlamacchia third on his list of "Land Mines" of the free agent class:

The assessment would seem to go against conventional wisdom, but who am I to determine conventional wisdom?Smile

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry...anyone calling McCann a bargain before he has signed a contract, or played even one measley game under that contract has totally invalidated himself in my opinion.

If McCann gets 6/120 will he still be a bargain? Silly to make assumptions based off of assumptions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

I'm sorry...anyone calling McCann a bargain before he has signed a contract, or played even one measley game under that contract has totally invalidated himself in my opinion.

If McCann gets 6/120 will he still be a bargain? Silly to make assumptions based off of assumptions.

I agree but can't the same be said for anyone saying he isn't a bargain

roy do you think the sox benching salty in the WS was part of the scheme

just kidding, but does that mean anything

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey, if I'm going to spend 6/120 on somebody he's going to play Center Field and lead off.  (But I wouldn't)!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:
    I’d imagine that Boston would love McCann at 4/60,  

[/QUOTE]

God I hope not. With the catchers in the system, don't sign either for four years. And McCann for $15 mill a year. Heck, I'd rather have Salty for even as much as $9 million a year, but I don't want to sign either for more than three years.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

God I hope not. With the catchers in the system, don't sign either for four years. And McCann for $15 mill a year. Heck, I'd rather have Salty for even as much as $9 million a year, but I don't want to sign either for more than three years.

[/QUOTE]

Roy, you do realize that was from the fangraph's link, don't you? I agree with you.  It's not so much the money per year though as it is the length of the contract.  If that means the Sox don't sign either player, then so be it.  However, I would expect an overpay for a competent stopgap rental.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I would guess that the RS are aware of the results of the catcher position for the NYY last year.  So you have to assume there is a NYY interest of some degree.  So it would be in our best interest to have the NYY at least think we might be interested.  Just one more variable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  I don't mind Salty for 1-2 years, but I would not go four with either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if we could get McCann at 4 yrs 60 mill, that would be a great signing. McCann can catch for the first 2 years, then transition to DH once ortiz retires. the fact that salty got benched in the playoffs and struggled in the 2nd half of the regular season and on top of it all he didnt even recieve a qualifying offer. the writing is on the wall. salty is all but gone, they will however keep contact with him incase we cant land mcCan.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Roy, you do realize that was from the fangraph's link, don't you? I agree with you.  It's not so much the money per year though as it is the length of the contract.  If that means the Sox don't sign either player, then so be it.  However, I would expect an overpay for a competent stopgap rental.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

That's why I'd rather take Salty back for three years. He knows the pitchers and has improved each year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if we could get McCann at 4 yrs 60 mill, that would be a great signing. McCann can catch for the first 2 years, then transition to DH once ortiz retires. the fact that salty got benched in the playoffs and struggled in the 2nd half of the regular season and on top of it all he didnt even recieve a qualifying offer. the writing is on the wall. salty is all but gone, they will however keep contact with him incase we cant land mcCan.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if any of this (bold) really means anything. He was struggling in the W.S. and Ross was playing well and there's little margin for error in the W.S. As for the qualifying offer, I think that had more to do with the Sox not wanting to go from $4 million to $14 million with him.

As for the second half, he didn't fade this year.

First half:
    287 PA, 24 2B, 8 HR, 37 RBI, .266 BA, .795 OPS
    183 PA, 16 2B, 6 HR, 28 RBI, .284 BA, .819 OPS

And he batted .282 in August and .314 in September.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

100% Disagree

McCann can catch 50% of the games and can DH 50% of them after Papi (1-2 years) is gone. He can DH 50% of the time with Napoli for 1-2 years. McCann with a righty 4th OFer or someone like that in a DH platoon for his last 1-2 years here, even at ages 33-35 would still bring lots of value, esp as a backup C in the Ross role of mentor and leader. He is an amazing clubhouse guy and as you said we have lots of C's in the farm system.

Vazquez at AAA is 23 and a + defender. He is also a righy and McCann a lefty. I would assume he would be up to replace Ross in 2015 and by 2016 be splitting the job with McCann. The switch hitting Swihart is only 21, was just in single A this year and needs to get stronger and better on D. If the team were to sign McCann for 5 years Swihart would not be rushed up and spend the 1st 3 of those years at A-AA-AAA before getting 2 years of mentorship from a mostly DH McCann and then not even be arb eligible until after Brian's huge deal expires.

Lavarnway meanwhile is now a decent trade asset. There are no other C's in the Sox system I see as exploding on the scene in the next 2-3 years and making McCann's deal seem burdensome.

I would go as high as 6/86 or 5/77.5 for him. EASILY worth it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In a conventional year McCann would seem to be a future Yankee, and they clearly need a good catcher this winter. It may depend on the Cano deal and others. They have a lot of holes to fill.

To me it looks like McCann is being positioned for a sale to the Yanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Incredibly, I agree with this. Btw everytime I see your avatar I think it's Carnie. I wonder what happened to him since he didn't even show up when we won it all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

100% Disagree

McCann can catch 50% of the games and can DH 50% of them after Papi (1-2 years) is gone. He can DH 50% of the time with Napoli for 1-2 years. McCann with a righty 4th OFer or someone like that in a DH platoon for his last 1-2 years here, even at ages 33-35 would still bring lots of value, esp as a backup C in the Ross role of mentor and leader. He is an amazing clubhouse guy and as you said we have lots of C's in the farm system.

Vazquez at AAA is 23 and a + defender. He is also a righy and McCann a lefty. I would assume he would be up to replace Ross in 2015 and by 2016 be splitting the job with McCann. The switch hitting Swihart is only 21, was just in single A this year and needs to get stronger and better on D. If the team were to sign McCann for 5 years Swihart would not be rushed up and spend the 1st 3 of those years at A-AA-AAA before getting 2 years of mentorship from a mostly DH McCann and then not even be arb eligible until after Brian's huge deal expires.

Lavarnway meanwhile is now a decent trade asset. There are no other C's in the Sox system I see as exploding on the scene in the next 2-3 years and making McCann's deal seem burdensome.

[/QUOTE]

Again, agree. And McCann and Ross are, apparently ,well acquainted and friends. That just adds to the equation. I would predict that would work out quite well for the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

100% Disagree

[/QUOTE]

Further, how long will Napoli play in Boston?  Who will be manning 1B in 2015 and on?  WMB?  1B is a very possible destination for McAnn in 2016 and beyond if the farm does indeed deliver a catcher.

My limit is 5/75...  Yes it could be $5M+ painful in those last 2 years.  Free Agents are almost always painful at the end of a contract.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if any of this (bold) really means anything. He was struggling in the W.S. and Ross was playing well and there's little margin for error in the W.S. As for the qualifying offer, I think that had more to do with the Sox not wanting to go from $4 million to $14 million with him.

As for the second half, he didn't fade this year.

First half:
    287 PA, 24 2B, 8 HR, 37 RBI, .266 BA, .795 OPS
    183 PA, 16 2B, 6 HR, 28 RBI, .284 BA, .819 OPS

And he batted .282 in August and .314 in September.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And some here may want to remember that Salty was the one who took on the full load when Ross went down. Obviously they didnt trust Lav enough. Salty fought through the dog days, playing day games after night games and still produced at a high level for a MLB catcher. To take what he did in the playoffs and use that for your judgement on him is foolish.

All of his numbers over the last 2 years, offense and defense, have improved. Im betting he was pretty worn down by the time October rolled around after being overworked with Ross' concussion. Salty will have plenty of teams to choose from because most players and MLB staff realize that Salty is one of the better all around backstops in MLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

Maybe,... forget about them.... sign A.J. P from Texas. Good all-round player,defense,calling,has pop in his bat,and leadership also. Has the resume and won't be to expensive.  2yr- 10 to 15 mil or less.........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to sapper1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe,... forget about them.... sign A.J. P from Texas. Good all-round player,defense,calling,has pop in his bat,and leadership also. Has the resume and won't be to expensive.  2yr- 10 to 15 mil or less.........

[/QUOTE]

2 37yo catchers? both with a sub 300OBP this year. I would hope they do just a little better than that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapper1. Show sapper1's posts

Agree with mattc355...In the long run Salty will be back,or a deal.. but AJ stats on OBP is similar to Fisk in a way.