Assuming Valentine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Assuming Valentine

who can he bring along as pitching coach? is Lovullo forced on him as the bench coach/manager in waiting? who is the 3B coach?
    I am warming up to V as the manager, thinking the team will respond in a positive way and be in contention. Team will hustle and be ready every day, V will keep everyone fresh, and Sox will not give games away with questionable managerial moves. I dontthink any team will have the advantage over the Sox in the dug out.(same cannot be said in Texas, NY or Toronto. Washington, Giardi and Farrell all had numerous head scratchers against the Sox)
    Of course, other than Pete Abes and Cafardo, the rest of the media in Boston will hate V, and the media will cause more strife than need be. (are you reading Dan S?) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Assuming Valentine

In Response to Assuming Valentine:
    [QUOTE]who can he bring along as pitching coach? is Lovullo forced on him as the bench coach/manager in waiting? who is the 3B coach? I am warming up to V as the manager, thinking the team will respond in a positive way and be in contention. Team will hustle and be ready every day, V will keep everyone fresh, and Sox will not give games away with questionable managerial moves. I dontthink any team will have the advantage over the Sox in the dug out.(same cannot be said in Texas, NY or Toronto. Washington, Giardi and Farrell all had numerous head scratchers against the Sox) Of course, other than Pete Abes and Cafardo, the rest of the media in Boston will hate V, and the media will cause more strife than need be. (are you reading Dan S?) 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    Team will not give games away with questionable moves? Let's just say that  every time sox lose ,Yahoos on here will blame manager moves and then want Cherington fired.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

I think Sox ownership is reading the boards this morning to see   fan reaction,,, before they decide  who to hire...

St. Louis and the Cubs  got their guy with 1-2 week search  Boston  is in the 7th inning of a rainnn delayed  2 MONTH search.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine:
    [QUOTE]I think Sox ownership is reading the boards this morning to see   fan reaction,,, before they decide  who to hire... St. Louis and the Cubs  got their guy with 1-2 week search  Boston  is in the 7th inning of a rainnn delayed  2 MONTH search.
    Posted by jackyldo[/QUOTE]
    In hind sight, I think the nation w/b very disilliusioned with Sveum. Everything I have read has been positive about him with a "but"....I think the Sox made the correct choice in passing on him. Kudos to ownership.
    Can you imagine if the Sox pulled a stunt like the Cards and White Sox and named a guy like Metheny or Ventura manager from out of nowhere? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Assuming Valentine : Team will not give games away with questionable moves? Let's just say that  every time sox lose ,Yahoos on here will blame manager moves and then want Cherington fired.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
    My point was while many could have questioned Francona's in game decisions, for the most part his thought process was 99% of the time correct. Sox IMO were never out managed by the other team. I thought the 3 managers mentioned, especially Wash and Giardi were outmanaged numerous times.(perhaps they stand out most often as they were on TV so often between Sox games and national games)
    I also thought, like many first time managers, that Farrell made numerous mistakes. 
    I think that in this area, V will give us an advantage over most any other manger, exceptions maybe Leyland? Maddon? Not a fan of Scoscia's style, but he could be on the list as well? Showalter? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am coming around on either V or Lamont as good choices. I think it far more interesting on who would be pitching coach? Can that pitching coach get a traded player like Wandy Rodriguez to the next level? Surely the manager nd coaches play a role in what types of players the Sox go after. Seemingly a pitching coach such as Farrell, Duncan or Maddux can Bring pitchers to that next level. I thought for the most part Young had a good year with Beckett, Pap, Bard and Aceves. I also thought Wheeler when healthy pitched well. I also thought that Dice K was starting to put it together until he was hurt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]I am coming around on either V or Lamont as good choices. I think it far more interesting on who would be pitching coach? Can that pitching coach get a traded player like Wandy Rodriguez to the next level? Surely the manager nd coaches play a role in what types of players the Sox go after. Seemingly a pitching coach such as Farrell, Duncan or Maddux can Bring pitchers to that next level. I thought for the most part Young had a good year with Beckett, Pap, Bard and Aceves. I also thought Wheeler when healthy pitched well. I also thought that Dice K was starting to put it together until he was hurt.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    Another good reason to hire Valentine is the all reports say given his extensive Managing experience in Japan that he relates very well to Japanese pitchers. He understands and is okay with their between start workout schedules, can relate to their difficulties with being in a different culture, etc. Not sure, but Valentine may in fact understand how to speak Japanese on some level?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]I think Sox ownership is reading the boards this morning to see   fan reaction,,, before they decide  who to hire... St. Louis and the Cubs  got their guy with 1-2 week search  Boston  is in the 7th inning of a rainnn delayed  2 MONTH search.

Front Office values our input?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Assuming Nothing at This Point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine : Another good reason to hire Valentine is the all reports say given his extensive Managing experience in Japan that he relates very well to Japanese pitchers. He understands and is okay with their between start workout schedules, can relate to their difficulties with being in a different culture, etc. Not sure, but Valentine may in fact understand how to speak Japanese on some level?
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Which is cool and all, but-

1-Pedro and and a whole bunch on Latinos never seemed to have a lnaguage issue.

2-We don't really have any Japanese pitchers.  Dice might return late next year, and I'd like to see Tazawa given a shot in the BP, but we basically don't have anyone for him to speak Japanese with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Most interesting to see after a new manager is named is who the pitching coach is?  Any ideas?  Just going to throw a name in the hat, who like 2 of the likely managerial candidates has a wealth of experience, including with the Trenton Thunder in 1996 in the Red Sox organization when Dan Duquette was the GM and many ML seasons with the A's and Mets.  Don't think Rick ever worked in the MLs with either of the experienced ML managerial candidates, but just having feeling about Rick, as he had a very good a very good reputation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

no offense jacky, but you are delusional if you really think the Sox FO reads this board and make their decisions based on what they read here.

If this were the case, BTW, I would not feel too good about the Sox chances of success...because we all really have no clue!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine : no offense jacky, but you are delusional if you really think the Sox FO reads this board and make their decisions based on what they read here. If this were the case, BTW, I would not feel too good about the Sox chances of success...because we all really have no clue!
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

We all really have no clue???  We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine : We all really have no clue???  We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Bosox are you saying you know what the RS FO is doing???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine : We all really have no clue???  We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

The FO and organization is loaded with hundreds of baseball savy professionals with years of baseball experience who have lived baseball throughout their lives. They are all more knowledgeable and closer to the action than we are. They are on the road to scout and compare scouting reports. They are more brilliant than most forum posters. They have lived baseball while we are merely armchair fans. The FO also has reams of computer printouts, digital data, video libraries, and information that we are not privy to. They are 500 times more informed than we are. They are well paid professionals with a huge travel budget. You sit at home with a sixpack and a delusions of grandeur. Mouth off if you wish but everyone has an hole and an opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine : The FO and organization is loaded with hundreds of baseball savy professionals with years of baseball experience who have lived baseball throughout their lives. They are all more knowledgeable and closer to the action than we are. They are on the road to scout and compare scouting reports. They are more brilliant than most forum posters. They have lived baseball while we are merely armchair fans. The FO also has reams of computer printouts, digital data, video libraries, and information that we are not privy to. They are 500 times more informed than we are. They are well paid professionals with a huge travel budget. You sit at home with a sixpack and a delusions of grandeur. Mouth off if you wish but everyone has an hole and an opinion.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

YEAH! WHAT HE SAID...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

1-Pedro and and a whole bunch on Latinos never seemed to have a lnaguage issue.

Spanish is much closer to English in language and culture than Japanese is to English in either. There are also many more Spanish-speakers in the U.S than Japanese-speakers.

2-We don't really have any Japanese pitchers.  Dice might return late next year, and I'd like to see Tazawa given a shot in the BP, but we basically don't have anyone for him to speak Japanese with

Matsuzaka and Tazawa would be two, and if Valentine becomes manager, Boston would be the No. 1 destination for Japanese League free agents. I think the Japanese free agent market (not posted players, full-fledged free agents) is probably one of the best places to look for relief pitching. Okajima did very well with the Red Sox his first three years in Boston, and Japanese pitchers in general, particularly relievers, tend to excel toward the beginning of their stints in the major leagues. I'm confident the Red Sox can find an Okajima or two for the bullpen at relatively short dollars.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

That explains it. His Japanese connection could be the reason he may become manager if they are looking down the road at acquiring Japanese players who may feel more comfortable with him. He also may have connections there as well. Hope it's worth it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Whoever gets this job, it's been a well kept secret--something the Theo's Sox were not great at. I'm thinking there may be more than one announcement made when they decide on the manager. Keeping this quiet may be a test requested by Ben to see if there are any moles. 

I agree with Utica--this organization has a lot of well paid, well traveled knowledgeable baseball people loaded with computer data on every player around the world of consequence. Every decision will have a scientific discovery associated with it. This could really be an interesting group to watch.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

anyone agree with this Chass take on Valentine?... http://www.murraychass.com/?p=4056

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Even before Bobby V became publicly identified as a candidate, Dave Wallace was mentioned in an article or 2 as a potential pitching coach the sox may consider. While sox fans will be familiar with him as a member of the 2004 red sox coaching staff, he's also a connecticut native like Bobby V who served as the Mets pitching coach during Valentine's 2 most successful MLB seasons (1999 and 2000). He seems like he could be a possibilty, at least on the surface. 

Although not trying to jump on Peter Abraham's speculation this morning, but when word spread over the weekend that the Houstron Astros were going into housecleaning mode, naturally the first thought was curiousity if Brad Mills is the reason the Sox are dragging out this managerial search process...hoping he gets canned and they can add him as a candidate. 

Personally I hope not...I can see the preference for John Farrell, but what was the point of parting ways with Francona and going in a new direction if the end result is just adding one of Tito's old coaches that BC is comfy with anyway? For that they should've interviewed Demarlo Hale then as well. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]That explains it. His Japanese connection could be the reason he may become manager if they are looking down the road at acquiring Japanese players who may feel more comfortable with him. He also may have connections there as well. Hope it's worth it.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I just don't see it.  If I were to join a soccer league in Europe, I just don't think I'd have an English-speaking coach that high on my list of priorities.  I'd learn the language or get a translator.  We've landed three Japanese players, which is about as many as anyone else, without a Japanese speaker.

And I doubt he has a lot of connections.  Virtually every article I've read makes him seem like the mosted hate person in BB.  The Chase article just rips him to shreads.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan28. Show redsoxfan28's posts

Manager - Bobby Valentine

Pitching Coach - Jim Hickey

Bench Coach - Demarlo Hale

1st Base Coach - Tim Bogar

3rd Base Coach - IDK

Hitting Coach - Dave Magadan

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Assuming Valentine : I just don't see it.  If I were to join a soccer league in Europe, I just don't think I'd have an English-speaking coach that high on my list of priorities.  I'd learn the language or get a translator.  We've landed three Japanese players, which is about as many as anyone else, without a Japanese speaker. And I doubt he has a lot of connections.  Virtually every article I've read makes him seem like the mosted hate person in BB.  The Chase article just rips him to shreads.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I'm not for Valentine as manager just so you know. I've said it doesn't say a lot about his thought process to get back in the dugout in disguise after being thrown out of the game. That's beside the fact he hasn't managed here in forever. I'm sure there's a reason for that. I was just trying to understand what could be the possible reason they seemed so set on him.

Having said that, the fact that they are, apparently, waiting for him to return from Japan to make the manager announcement, pretty much tells me that he's our next manager. Why wait for him just to tell him he wasn't going to be? He's not a part of the Sox right now.

Btw, for the money that is asked ($50 million or so) just to talk to Japanese players, it would be nice if they learned a little English, at least enough to communicate on some level. JMO