Astros claim RP Josh Fields ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Astros claim RP Josh Fields ...

... with the first pick of the Rule 5 draft while the Twins took righthander Ryan Pressly with the fourth pick. Fields and Pressly played in the Red Sox farm system last year was were left unproteced.

https://twitter.com/alexspeier

The Red Sox took infielder Jeff Kobernus with the seventh pick, but immediately traded Kobermus to the Tigers, according to WEEI's Alex Speier.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Astros claim RP Josh Fields ...

anyone knows purpose of this trade?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

The purpose, if I understand it correctly, would be that the Sox get a similar type player talent-wise (I do not think that Kolbernus was ranked as a top 20 rule 5 draftee, at least on the list I read), who fits a positional need better (1B/OF) without having to have him on the 25-man roster all season in order to keep him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

... with the first pick of the Rule 5 draft while the Twins took righthander Ryan Pressly with the fourth pick. Fields and Pressly played in the Red Sox farm system last year was were left unproteced.

https://twitter.com/alexspeier

The Red Sox took infielder Jeff Kobernus with the seventh pick, but immediately traded Kobermus to the Tigers, according to WEEI's Alex Speier.

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox received INF/OF Justin Henry for Kobernus...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=henry-001jus

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Also, looking at Henry's stats, he is a left-handed hitter who walks more than Ks.  He is older, but has played all around the infield and OF.  Could end up being a great super sub.  In 2011 he had an OBP over .400 between AA and AAA.  Last season his OBP was around .380.  Sox bench could use a guy like that no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It was pretty certain that we would lose Fields. I don't see any reason why we would want Kobernus on the 25 man roster all season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If you look at our 40 man Roster....it seems like poor management to leave a guy exposed who gets picked with the 1st pick.....we have some other pitchers on the 40 man that are question marks at best. Stolmy Pimental for one....even if he had been picked.....considering he has been a starter it would have been much harder for a team to keep him on the 25 man for the whole year...Fields as a Reliever will be much easier for Houston to park in the Pen. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you look at our 40 man Roster....it seems like poor management to leave a guy exposed who gets picked with the 1st pick.....we have some other pitchers on the 40 man that are question marks at best. Stolmy Pimental for one....even if he had been picked.....considering he has been a starter it would have been much harder for a team to keep him on the 25 man for the whole year...Fields as a Reliever will be much easier for Houston to park in the Pen. 

[/QUOTE]

+1, or does someone really think we were in danger of losing Stolmy Pimentel or Alex Hassan if the were left exposed/dfa'd?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We should have made some 2 or 3 for one deals earlier, and we could have kept Fields.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We should have made some 2 or 3 for one deals earlier, and we could have kept Fields.

[/QUOTE]

That too. But I still want to know why Stolmy Pimentel is on the 40 man roster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

dgale, you are one of the posters I take the time not to scroll past all the drivel and blather on this Board. Well stated.

[/QUOTE]

I enjoy Dgale's posts as well.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

And, Drew, though we disagree on Napoli's to the Red Sox, we agree that at least he's a fit. He's a one year overpay, but a defendabe contract and #2 on my 1st base flowchart options to consider at certain value list.

What I ike about Napoli is my belief that the AL catcher position should be flexible to where the DH/1B must be able to catch a few innings if he's not a superstar 1B hitter and fielder. This makes the roster more efficient and more productive and provides more value.

[/QUOTE]

You blasted me for wanting Naps at $33M/3.

Now this. 

You flip & flop faster than OBama & Mitt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And, Drew, though we disagree on Napoli's to the Red Sox, we agree that at least he's a fit. He's a one year overpay, but a defendabe contract and #2 on my 1st base flowchart options to consider at certain value list.

What I ike about Napoli is my belief that the AL catcher position should be flexible to where the DH/1B must be able to catch a few innings if he's not a superstar 1B hitter and fielder. This makes the roster more efficient and more productive and provides more value.

[/QUOTE]

You blasted me for wanting Naps at $33M/3.

Now this. 

You flip & flop faster than OBama & Mitt.

[/QUOTE]

Combined.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair.  If you take all of the 20M+/yr first basemen out of the equation, Naps becomes one of the top hitting first basemen.

While I believe that 13M will be an overpay in yr 3, I also see big labor spiraling out of control.  I honestly believe that by 2015, 13M/yr will get you an average, at best, player.  (sigh)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

We lost the 1st and 4th players in this draft and you can only lose two players. A good sign that the Red Sox system is freakin deep.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We lost the 1st and 4th players in this draft and you can only lose two players. A good sign that the Red Sox system is freakin deep.

[/QUOTE]

It's also a sign that we could have traded some guys beforehand to make room for these 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Easier said than done sometimes. Most teams have a difficlt time fitting the players they don't want to lose onto their own 40 man roster. So taking 3 players for 1 leaves them more prone to lose a quality player in draft. RS can take as compliment, there farm system has a lot of quality players to lose Fields & Presley already in the draft.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

It's also a sign that we could have traded some guys beforehand to make room for these 2.

[/QUOTE]

Very possible. Also possible that we trade two guys to open up the roster and protect Fields and Pressly  and then  Jeremy Hazelbaker and Miguel Celestino get picked with the 5th and 8th picks, who I personally like better as prospects. Who knows.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

There also is a very good chance that Fields and Pressly will have to be offered back.  Fields finally figured some things out in 2012, at age 27, in the Sox system.  Who knows how he looks on a new team, pitching in the MLB under a new pitching coach.  And it will absolutely surprise me if Pressly sticks for the whole year on the MLB roster.  Pitchers are less much more likely to be up and down, and if a young guy is having a down year, he will be gone much more quickly than if he was a hitter, IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The only possible explanation for Fields' departure is that the Sox are following Genius Bill-806's advice by divesting themselves of all Scott Boras clients.

Ellsbury, Bogaerts and Bradley are sleeping uneasily tonight....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Many of our better prospects did not need to be protected on the 40 man roster as yet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

dgale, you are one of the posters I take the time not to scroll past all the drivel and blather on this Board. Well stated.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Likewise.