In Response to Re: Athletes and religion
[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Jess, Space ... and all contributors... most certainly the thread can go on ... I haven't seen a single new argument on any particular position. Even your refernce to the Maya .... I KNOW that December 12, 2012 will not be the end of things. How do I know? Faith? Nope. I have loans that run well beyond that time ... I a m a born again Christian as some others have made claim - and I am most pleased to hear their claims! I have attempted to live in a fashion pleasing to Christ. I have preached against those things I believe are sin but all the more have preached of the love and friendship of Christ. There is no finer example of a life lived, no geater hope to overcome the inhumanities of man toward himself. I humbly realize that I fail but am expressly appreciative of His grace and friendship to help me to toward overcoming those weaknesses. He has offered to be yoked with me to teach me and help assist me with my burdens ... so that I may in like kind help others. "Think on these things," the Apostle Paul instructs young ones in the faith,"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8 There is a beauty and gracefulness in Christ that is often lost in tranlsation somehow ... I ... will hesitate at this point. I could go on for a very long time, but will leave you all with the notion that life spent following the exquisite example of Jesus is remarkable and filled with "eurekas" that thrill the soul. And this I know, as well. One of those fine gifts is the opportunity to be a Red Sox fan .... :o) No, I am not saying He is a Sox fan or chooses sides in athletics. I am saying that I thank Him for the gift. And I know there is a ki
Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]
This works for you and I for one and so happy to read that. It is your life to live and live it the best way you can.
I on the other hand have lived a completely different life, filled with things that one only sees in the movies. If you had looked up the word decadent between 1978 - 2008, you would have seen my photo next to it. That being said, I have never killed anyone, inflicted purposeful pain on anyone (except an enemy) and have never turned my back on someone because they were different or their views were diffferent. I believe in charity and helping those who need it. I have even walked little old ladies across the street. I have walked into churches and bowed my head out of respect for those around me who do believe. I learned this from growing up with two wonderful parents, not because some book told me to.
Every story in both the old and new testament & Qu'ran, as far as I am concerned, is a complete falsehood or an embellishment on something else.Fact
- The birthdate of the historical Jesus is not December 25th. He is either a March or August child. Christians stole the holiday as part of their weeding out the pagan rituals. And although I am sure all our esteemed members are aware of this, but just in case - Jesus of Nazareth did not look like a Rock Star with flowing locks and blue eyes. He was a short, dark skinned man just like all the rest from that place and time in the world.Fact
- Adam and Eve is a fairytale. How do I know this - fossils. Dinosaurs and such were on this planet long before man. Those who think the Flintstones is a documentary have allowed their faith to take over too much of their lives.Fact
- The great flood and Noah. If this were actually real, then God would have been condoning incest. Now there were large floods, but not in the Biblical sense that we were raised with (I call this taking liberty with truth - much like Hollywood does)Fact
- Moses did not live to a ripe old age of 120 + years, 40 of which were wandering the desert and then dieing just before he enters Israel. Historical and new archeology is slowly uncovering the evidence to prove this falacy. Not to mention that it would mean God had one h*ll of a sense of dry humor.Fact
- During the time of Jesus of Nazareth, there were 4 other men claiming to also be the messiah. This is according to texts which I cannot prove or disprove, but the same texts which most of the new testament is taken.Fact
- The Council of Nicea decided what to put into the New Testament, not God. They decided what worked best for them to keep, control and increase their powers over those who believed.
Here are some old testament goodies for you:
I dedicate this to W.O. who likes to give us different passages from the Bible.
Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests
Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)
A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)
Death for Cursing Parents
1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB)
2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)
Death to Followers of Other Religions
Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)
Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night
But if this charge is true (that she wasn't a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father's house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)
Kill People for Working on the Sabbath
The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)
I think God was into Snuff movies. And there are a hundred others, believe me. The old testament reads like a Stephen King novel. First time I read it, it scared the cr*p out of me.
I ask all who believe to hold tight to your faith. It belongs to you and no one has the right to take it away from you. But please do not preach about things which you have no clue about. I cannot believe the conversation regarding Gays, the Gay gene and the 7% of the population of man being gay where no other living creature shows this tendency. I did like the response though about LHer's. The one thing about those like me is we have science to back up so much of our beliefs. I know that not seeing is the whole point of faith. But I don't think love, peace, kindness and respect require a God. It just requires common sense and belief in yourself.
Now I am going to leave this computer before I am struck down. Afterall, this is the Sabbath of the Jewish faith and they are the chosen ones. I don't wish to tempt faith.