Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

Mr. Hanky a.k.a. Softlaw, Softlaw1a, Softlaw1b, and dozens of other names that have been banned due to his offensive opinions and posts, denies that gay people even exist.  He claims there are only people, some of whom make physical lifestyle choices he doesn't agree with.

Sad, but like other dinosaurs won't be with us forever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I hadn't realized Hank was softy. Thanks for letting me know, I learned long ago how pointless it is to try discussing anything with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It doesn't matter if people are born gay or not.  This is America.  We can be and do whatever we want.  That's what being free is all about.

But unfortunately, being free means you have to put up with behavior you don't like or agree with from other people.  Being free means that you have to put up with people praising God that they hit a home run or threw a touchdown pass, as well as with people who are in relationships that you don't agree with whether it involves people of different races or of the same sex.

Protect my property, help provide needed services, but then leave me alone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]It doesn't matter if people are born gay or not.  This is America.  We can be and do whatever we want.  That's what being free is all about. But unfortunately, being free means you have to put up with behavior you don't like or agree with from other people.  Being free means that you have to put up with people praising God that they hit a home run or threw a touchdown pass, as well as with people who are in relationships that you don't agree with whether it involves people of different races or of the same sex. Protect my property, help provide needed services, but then leave me alone.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Some people might also praise God after a bridge collapses into the river seconds after they crossed it. Does that behavior annoy us so much that we have to start a thread about it on BDC.

When I was 24 years old I was driving a motorcycle through a high school parking lot late at night and at the last second saw a chain hung across the road and it was too late to stop. Fortunately the chain broke and I only had neck bruises instead of a broken neck. I praised God and nobody that I knew took that as evangelism.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

I recall star jones talking about how she left the gulf area a week before Katrina hit and she said "god blesses". I remember thinking he blessed star jones but screwed a whole lot of other people.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

James 1
    5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

are we still talking about this

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]I recall star jones talking about how she left the gulf area a week before Katrina hit and she said "god blesses". I remember thinking he blessed star jones but screwed a whole lot of other people.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

It looks like you might need to read up on religion and theology to find answers to such perceived inconsistencies. If you don't find the answers that you want then you might need to depend on faith.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Psalm 84
    ...O God; look with favor on your anointed one.

10 Better is one day in your courts
    than a thousand elsewhere;
    I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
    than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
    11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
    the LORD bestows favor and honor;
    no good thing does he withhold
    from those whose walk is blameless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

It's less about knowing the answers provided by religion, more about not accepting them. I don't need the comfort offered by religous beliefs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

1 Cor 1.18
    For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

1 Cor 1.21
    For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

1 Cor 1.25
    For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

2 Cor. 11.1
    I hope you will put up with me in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

[QUOTE]It's less about knowing the answers provided by religion, more about not accepting them. I don't need the comfort offered by religous beliefs.

Not sure that I understand. They are not answers unless you accept them ( your opinion determines if they are answers to you - in your mind). It is possible that they are answers to your neighbor and not to you.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Matthew 12
    33 "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit...36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

WO, are you going to post the whole bible?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]WO, are you going to post the whole bible?

The thoughts, beliefs and opinions of men and women mean nothing.
    God alone speaks truth, always. Even in a storm. Even in difficult issues.

I am not here to be right, merely to preach Him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

"I am not here to be right. "

Don't worry, you're not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]"I am not here to be right. " Don't worry, you're not.

Thanks for your assurance roadrunner9234.
    Your pity is best spent on someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6xu3fK3Kt0&feature=related

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Sprituality should not be a personal thing.  It should be questioned.  If someone is going to fly planes into buildings based on their spirituality, then I'd like to talk to them about it. Religious beliefs should be discussed.  Accepting religious beliefs without question is a big problem  For those who say we should tolerate religious beliefs, that has to include flying planes into buildings.  And to those who say that we should tolerate beliefs as long as others are not harmed, I say, any religious belief is harmful.  The belief that Jesus is the son of God is the same as the belief that you will get 72 virgins in heaven if you fly planes into buildings in that neither belief has any evidence to back it up as being true.  Do you want to live in a world where contries make decsicions based on evidence or in a world that makes decisions based on what we think our imaginary friend is going to do with us once we die?  If we don't use evidence to make decsions then we stop things like stem cell research and endorse ideas such as gay people should be allowed to adopt children.  Someone on this post said they fail to see how athlets comments about God can harm children.  i disagree.  it is better to raise a kid with and awareness of what is based on fact and what is merely a belief or an opinion.  Actions based on beliefs or opinions turn out to be harmful.  Actions based on evidence raely turn out to be harmful.  Don't take my word for it.  Here are some examples:Stalin did what he did based on belief, not fact.  Same for Hitler, same for Jihadists, same for the crusdades, same for banning gay marriage and adoption, same for banning stem cell research, allowing priests to be in the company of children and have power over them, etc.  If decisions were made based on evidence, these things never would have happened.  Many of you will say, look at all the good that comes from religious belief.  And I say, you can have all those things without the silly belief in God.  The nations on earth who treat each other the best and with the most equity, are the nations that are the most atheistic.  Countries that treat each other the worst are the most religious.  This is not my opinion, but fact.  Look it up.  Gonzalez is gifted by his genetics and he works hard, both of which are products of evolution through natural selection.  That is why he is a great player.  God doesn't exist.  Fools say He does.  And fools say we should be tolerant of silly beliefs.  
    Posted by michaerelwof[/QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of the first part of your post, but here I disagree.  I think there are some predominantly Christian countries that treat each other fairly well.  This is opinion, not fact.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

John 14:6-7
    6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father , but by me.
    7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Proverbs 27
     3 A stone is heavy, and sand is weighty, but a fool's provocation is heavier than both.