Athletes and religion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Re: Athletes and religion

dgalehouse,

Go back and read allibiike's first post. He says it's every christian's duty to spread the "good news" and then he admits to judging other people(something christian's are commanded not to do) for not being born AGAIN.

2 reasons christians are "singled out" for criticism.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Athletes and religion:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Athletes and religion : with all the crap our kids learn from the professional athletes this is your beef ?   can't see this as bad thing for kids to hear long live those who worship the M&M coated teapot ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

A good role model for kids is a good thing.  Chocolate teapot, not so much!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]Most Christians dismiss the book of Revelation. Most Christians don't stress the Old Testament except for the predictions of the prophets. Most Christians laugh that the US Constitution is a moral guide. Most Christians put God and Christ above patriotism. You don't get points for carrying a flag into Heaven.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

If you take the time to study the book of Revelation you will find it very interesting.  Contrary to popular belief the book is not about end times.  It is about the fall of Jerusalem and what led up to the destruction of the temple in 70AD.

The old testament is extremely important if you want to understand the new testament.  In order to understand the book of Revelation one must have a knowledge of the old testament.  This goes for other books also.

A good Christian must be a good patriot.  Love of country and respect for authority, religious as well as civil is important.  That doesn't mean Christians have to follow unjust laws.  It does mean they need to try to change those laws in an appropriate manner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]Organized religion was developed as an instrument to control the masses and it's most significant contribution to the human race has been War.  Muslim, Christian, Mormon, etc... it is all just a fairy tale.  Mary got knocked up and there were no golden tablets presented to Joseph Smith by the Mormoni.  Accept that into your heart, then grow a pair and try answering the "larger questions" for yourself, not being dependent on archaic texts.   "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Mary got nocked up.  As a catholic I find that offensive.  Shall we start gay bashing?  What about insulting racial comments about blacks or hispanics.

If you don't want to believe that is your choice, that doesn't mean you can insult those who do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]dgalehouse, Go back and read allibiike's first post. He says it's every christian's duty to spread the "good news" and then he admits to judging other people(something christian's are commanded not to do) for not being born AGAIN. 2 reasons christians are "singled out" for criticism.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Wow, talk about twisting my words! I said nothing about judging except to say that Christians are judged by their action (or inaction). I also said that that many who profess to be Christian may or may not be, depending on their conversion experience......only God can know for sure.
    But we are all human and not without sin, even Jesus chastised the the moneychangers, was he being judgmental? Jesus said, "judge not, lest be judged". It's a struggle for the Christian each and every day to walk with God. He/She can't do it alone and the burden is heavy.
    For the believer Jesus took on every human burden and sin, and contiues to do so to this day, but sometimes, because of free will, we lose our way and try to do our own thing without letting God work in our lives.
    Unbelievers expect a Christian to be perfect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

It's not an insult, he simply doesn't believe in the immaculate conception. You have absolutely no reason to be offended given that you agree he has a right not to believe.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

"Unbelievers expect a Christian to be perfect".

Only until christians stop judging those who don't share their belief system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Lets really stir things up and start a thread on abortion!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : No, its because Jesus was a chocolate bunny.  Look it up.  Leviticus, i think:  "And lo, he was possessed of floppy ears of some length.  And the sheperds did know him by his fur of cocoa and darting hop.  This was he, the messiah foretold."
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Really?  How much more insulting can you get!  I'm a Catholic who loves her faith.  I believe in Jesus and I love to spend time with Him.

Your insensitive comments are uncalled for.  We have the right of religious freedom in this country, at least for now.

Would you make the same horrid comments about gays, blacks, hispanics?

What about Jews and Muslims?

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me -
    and by then there was no one left to speak out for me.

The German anti-Nazi activist,
    Pastor Martin Niemöller

Are you aware of this famous poem?  If not do some research on the author.

The attack on Catholics by Obama has to be taken very seriously...

Catholic bashing should not be tolerated by anyone!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Wow, talk about twisting my words! I said nothing about judging except to say that Christians are judged by their action (or inaction). I also said that that many who profess to be Christian may or may not be, depending on their conversion experience......only God can know for sure. But we are all human and not without sin, even Jesus chastised the the moneychangers, was he being judgmental? Jesus said, "judge not, lest be judged". It's a struggle for the Christian each and every day to walk with God. He/She can't do it alone and the burden is heavy. For the believer Jesus took on every human burden and sin, and contiues to do so to this day, but sometimes, because of free will, we lose our way and try to do our own thing without letting God work in our lives. Unbelievers expect a Christian to be perfect.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

How can unbelievers or non-believers expect Christians to be perfect when we are of the opinion that you believe in fairytales? And that alone removes the possibilty of perfection. Personally, I have no expectations of anyone - people usually let you down for the most part.

I think you all should believe what you believe, pray as you want to pray and live your life as you see right. As long as no one is waving the Torah, Old Testament, New Testament or Qu'ran in my face, we are good. And stay the heck out of the politics of government. We have enough crooks there to begin with.

On a truly sad note Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed away at the age of 66.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Obama hasn't attacked catholics. He just won't allow catholic affiliated employers to deny birth control to their employees who need it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Also 67, only the government can violate your right to freedom of religion under the 1st amendment. It can't happen by way of a fellow citizen exercising his right to free speech under the same constitutional amendment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Really?  How much more insulting can you get!  I'm a Catholic who loves her faith.  I believe in Jesus and I love to spend time with Him. Your insensitive comments are uncalled for.  We have the right of religious freedom in this country, at least for now. Would you make the same horrid comments about gays, blacks, hispanics? What about Jews and Muslims? F irst they came for the Jews and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew. T hen they came for the communists and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist. T hen they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist. T hen they came for me - and by then there was no one left to speak out for me. The German anti-Nazi activist, Pastor Martin Niemöller Are you aware of this famous poem?  If not do some research on the author. The attack on Catholics by Obama has to be taken very seriously... Catholic bashing should not be tolerated by anyone!
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

Call it payback for all your judgemental insulting of my beautiful gay friends and family.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Really?  How much more insulting can you get!  I'm a Catholic who loves her faith.  I believe in Jesus and I love to spend time with Him. Your insensitive comments are uncalled for.  We have the right of religious freedom in this country, at least for now. Would you make the same horrid comments about gays, blacks, hispanics? What about Jews and Muslims? F irst they came for the Jews and I did not speak out - because I was not a Jew. T hen they came for the communists and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist. T hen they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist. T hen they came for me - and by then there was no one left to speak out for me. The German anti-Nazi activist, Pastor Martin Niemöller Are you aware of this famous poem?  If not do some research on the author. The attack on Catholics by Obama has to be taken very seriously... Catholic bashing should not be tolerated by anyone!

My freedom of speech allows me to tell you that I think your religion is stupid.   USA USA USA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As I thought, this thread is beginning to go off the rails in an ugly fashion. We have all chatted here for years about baseball. Let's not allow those who believe, what extent is their belief or those who don't believe at all get into some ruckus. We are 5 weeks away from opening day. Let's stay on point.

Davy Jones (Monkees) R.I.P.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]As I thought, this thread is beginning to go off the rails in an ugly fashion. We have all chatted here for years about baseball. Let's not allow those who believe, what extent is their belief or those who don't believe at all get into some ruckus. We are 5 weeks away from opening day. Let's stay on point. Davy Jones (Monkees) R.I.P.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

RIP Davy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]As I thought, this thread is beginning to go off the rails in an ugly fashion. We have all chatted here for years about baseball. Let's not allow those who believe, what extent is their belief or those who don't believe at all get into some ruckus. We are 5 weeks away from opening day. Let's stay on point. Davy Jones (Monkees) R.I.P.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Frankly, my faith in humanity has been restored because it took this long before the thread crash.

And, yup, RIP Davey Jones.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Lets really stir things up and start a thread on abortion!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

That is just a very bad idea.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone who "wears their religion on their sleeve for all to see" as the OP said is a little over the top. Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

Interesting...Since as Christians, the bible says that we are to be bold in our faith and not hide it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

So you won't get into heaven if you just kept it to yourself?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]So you won't get into heaven if you just kept it to yourself?
    Posted by Roadrunner9234[/QUOTE]

No, it's more of a recruitment tool.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

When they 'came for the Jews' they were coming to kill them.  Not force them to provide equal health care benefits for their employees.  How can you be so utterly offended by Spaceman's post, and yet fail to understand how utterly offensive your analogy is?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

because he's a christian.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Athletes and religion : Fair enough but since this discussion originated in the setting of a ballpark, let me say this.  If some want to belittle a ballplayer for genuflecting or looking towards the sky after hitting a HR then you also should belittle thousands of fans standing up to sing the National Anthem or God Bless America under the pretention that God is on the side of a Nation, any Nation. That is just as preposterous. This country had concentration camps during WW2 and dropped a nuclear bomb on a populated city of innocent civilians under the name of patriotism. Which higher spirit or God was ever in favor of such evil? Those actions were never sanctioned by any religion and neither was the Holocaust.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Of three uncles, one was a survivor of the Bataan death march.

The other was a pilot who was shot down in the pacific and survived being straffed by Japanese pilots as he was descending into the ocean.  To his dying day, he never forgave those pilots.

The third was a POW in Korea and escaped who ate a dog in order to survive.

The price for freedom and the way we are lucky enough to live here in the USA is not free.

Ask them what they thought of dropping the bomb.  Incidentally, if the bomb wasn't dropped, millions upon millions of more lives would have been lost because the emperor has no intention of ever stopping the war.

In essence, dropping the bomb SAVED lives.

And, comparing German concentration camps to US camps is so absurd that it doesn't deserve a response.