Austin Jackson trade Target…leadoff hitter with speed, Good D, base stealer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Austin Jackson trade Target…leadoff hitter with speed, Good D, base stealer

The Yankees and Tigers , according to sources on MLBTR, talked about a Gardner for Jackson trade as a possibility.

I could see a Jackson for JBJ and another Sox prospect trade perhaps benefitting both teams. It would solve our leadoff spot as well. He is Arb eligible ---$3.5 last season. He doesn't miss many games.

Something for the hot stove.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Austin Jackson trade Target…leadoff hitter with speed, Good D, base stealer

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees and Tigers , according to sources on MLBTR, talked about a Gardner for Jackson trade as a possibility.

I could see a Jackson for JBJ and another Sox prospect trade perhaps benefitting both teams. It would solve our leadoff spot as well. He is Arb eligible ---$3.5 last season. He doesn't miss many games.

How can you just give up on a 19 year old player we can have for years to come?? I think lots of posters  just don't get it? Sox have very good players in minors and every time someone is brought up ? Nope no good ...don't like ..he sucks. Players need time and sox fans just don't get it.... If a rookie doesn't win 20 games or  hit 30 hrs and bat 300 we should find a player to replace him. If Sox can field a team of young players who only will get better ... so be it. Not going to win WORLD SERIES EVERY YEAR!!! Lets give kids a chance and see  what becomes... Or like most posters on here ... lets rent some players and cry and moan if thing don't work out. Lets follow in the Yankees footsteps... YA ! Now thats how things are looked at around here.....Maybe you posters are hopeing for the next A-Rod to come walking through those doors....Sox have a bright future right in our own back yard....Lets not trade them for rentals.....You just don't get it!!!!

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

I would certainly look into it.  The Tigers REALLY could use some help in the BP.....and we are pretty deep in pitching, majors and minors.  Maybe a couple of decent controllable arms could bring him in? 

I'm in the camp that thinks we REAALLY need not only a good hitting FULL TIME CF'er but a leadoff hitter.  Nobody on our roster I feel right now can do both consistently.  This, I think, is a MUCH bigger hole then some people here realize......

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I surely advocate the Sox looking at Jackson for CF/Leadoff, however, no way shpuld they give up on JBJ in a deal to get him? Plus, if DJ was acquired he would be coming in as the primary CFer and JBJ would be better off in AAA.

I actually thought that Raji Davis would have been a good fit in Boston, but the Tigers got him too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't want Jackson and what would be the point of trading JBJ for him? 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Austin Jackson as much as anyone but I don't like the idea of trading for a guy who is about to hit FA, and give away 6 years of control of JBJ....If we really like him that much we can go out and get him next year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How can you just give up on a 19 year old player we can have for years to come?? I think lots of posters  just don't get it? Sox have very good players in minors and every time someone is brought up ? Nope no good ...don't like ..he sucks. Players need time and sox fans just don't get it.... If a rookie doesn't win 20 games or  hit 30 hrs and bat 300 we should find a player to replace him. If Sox can field a team of young players who only will get better ... so be it. Not going to win WORLD SERIES EVERY YEAR!!! Lets give kids a chance and see  what becomes... Or like most posters on here ... lets rent some players and cry and moan if thing don't work out. Lets follow in the Yankees footsteps... YA ! Now thats how things are looked at around here.....Maybe you posters are hopeing for the next A-Rod to come walking through those doors....Sox have a bright future right in our own back yard....Lets not trade them for rentals.....You just don't get it!!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is 23, 24 in april.

With that said. I agree. Jackson was moved down in the lineup because he wasnt hitting like a leadoff hitter should. Once the pressure was taken off after hitting him 7th-9th, he did fine. I wouldnt trade JBJ for him either. That makes no sense to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Austin Jackson as much as anyone but I don't like the idea of trading for a guy who is about to hit FA, and give away 6 years of control of JBJ....If we really like him that much we can go out and get him next year. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree (imagine that!).  It makes ZERO sense for both teams to trade JBJ for Jackson.  I would however trade a couple of BP arms to get him.  We are strong with pitching and weak in OF's....they need BP arms BADLY (as we all saw in the ALCS).  An outfield of Nava/Gomes, Jackson and Vic with JBJ helping out as a 5th in case of injury sounds pretty darn good to me.  We get solid fielding, solid hitting and some speed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree (imagine that!).  It makes ZERO sense for both teams to trade JBJ for Jackson.  I would however trade a couple of BP arms to get him.  We are strong with pitching and weak in OF's....they need BP arms BADLY (as we all saw in the ALCS).  An outfield of Nava/Gomes, Jackson and Vic with JBJ helping out as a 5th in case of injury sounds pretty darn good to me.  We get solid fielding, solid hitting and some speed.

[/QUOTE]

OMG we do agree!!! lol.  That would also give Boston the opportunity to allow JBJ to adjust more,  I would suspect he would get regular playing time in Pawtucket and be an up/down guy all year.  And if he looks more ready by the end of the year he can become the full time starter in 2015 and Austin Jackson would likely net us a draft pick (assuming he gets a Q.O.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm comfortable with JBJ starting and optimistic, but I think that would be a great strategy as well. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OMG we do agree!!! lol.  That would also give Boston the opportunity to allow JBJ to adjust more,  I would suspect he would get regular playing time in Pawtucket and be an up/down guy all year.  And if he looks more ready by the end of the year he can become the full time starter in 2015 and Austin Jackson would likely net us a draft pick (assuming he gets a Q.O.)

[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is....I actually agree with you 95% of the time!! HAHA!! 

I'd really like to see JBJ get a fair shot at some point....but for some reason I just got very nervous at how BAD he looked last year.  I know it was a VERY small sample size but he couldn't even make contact with the inside pitch or a curve. He was also a VERY good defensive CR'r but he often looked lost out there this year.  At least when Pedroia struggled when he got the 'promotion' he could make contact and field well.

I agree though, he needs consistent playing time and at some point he does need to be 'thrown to the wolves' to see what he really has.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Just what we need, to add 150 plus strikeouts to our already strikeout prone lineup... Pass.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

JBJ is 23, 24 in april.

With that said. I agree. Jackson was moved down in the lineup because he wasnt hitting like a leadoff hitter should. Once the pressure was taken off after hitting him 7th-9th, he did fine. I wouldnt trade JBJ for him either. That makes no sense to me.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you... beat me to it.  For some reason Jackson's stolen base numbers have decreased in every season from 27 (6 cs), 22 (5 cs), 12 (9 cs) and finally 8 last year (4 cs).  He hasn't just regressed from his early career stolen bases, but his OBP is down 40 points from two years ago and slugging is down 80 points. OPS is down 102 points overall. 

The problem from all these down numbers is that they equal his career averages so I expect them to stay the same and it looks like his season two years ago is the outlier.  I wouldn't trade JBJ for him at this point in time, but I would give them somebody like Brentz.

*edit*  I looked up Jackson's splits on espn and they don't show him batting in any other spot in the lineup except for leadoff   http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/29453/austin-jackson

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

JBJ is 23, 24 in april.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you... beat me to it.  For some reason Jackson's stolen base numbers have decreased in every season from 27 (6 cs), 22 (5 cs), 12 (9 cs) and finally 8 last year (4 cs).  He hasn't just regressed from his early career stolen bases, but his OBP is down 40 points from two years ago and slugging is down 80 points. OPS is down 102 points overall. 

The problem from all these down numbers is that they equal his career averages so I expect them to stay the same and it looks like his season two years ago is the outlier.  I wouldn't trade JBJ for him at this point in time, but I would give them somebody like Brentz.

*edit*  I looked up Jackson's splits on espn and they don't show him batting in any other spot in the lineup except for leadoff   http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/29453/austin-jackson

[/QUOTE]

Detroit would not take Brentz for Jackson. They are in win now mode.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Bradley is the fifth outfielder,  they moght as well trade him.

Jackson is not a leadoff option worth dumping a top prospect for.  He is a K-machine who survives on BABIP

Leadoff hitter is a good question for the Sox, but don't think it is all about stolen bases, which Jackson is notmuch for, by the way.   The Sox do have a high OBP guy like Nava who could be considered for the role.  Victorino is not as good at getting on base buy is alsoin play here...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ's a kid,Cecch is a kid, Xander is a kid---they are prospects---they have proven nothing. Baseball is a "Show Me" business. The Sox rented Ells for 6 or 7 years we won two Championships. That's history. He's part of RS history soon to become part of Yankee History. As has been said don't get too attached---these players are business people--they try to say the right things when they come, while they're  here and when they leave. I would like to have the best players money can buy. I love the thought of of new young players but I also like to think how would Giancarlo, Austin and other players perform in Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As the "BIG O" would say ...............  "Jackie Bradley is my starting center fielder in 2014 as long as I am the leader on this board" !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Jackson was dropped to eighth in the BA during the ALCS for a reason.  Big NO, JBJ has a lot to prove before helping this club but we don't Jackson.

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like Jackson but not 1 year for 6 years of control on JBJ.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

As the "BIG O" would say ...............  "Jackie Bradley is my starting center fielder in 2014 as long as I am the leader on this board" !!!

Jackson has a .246 BA aganst lefties so he wouldn't help much at all.  JBJ has hit 229 in 70 AB's against righties and .089 against lefties in 25 AB's so I wish us luck.  Just remember this ... 

All you fans screaming for him to start the past two years live with what you get.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosox0489. Show bosox0489's posts

can you people shut the hell up and let jackie bradley start the season in center field.This post is full of S--T birds as we called them in the MARINE CORPS.

semper fi    STEVEBOSOX1946

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to bosox0489's comment:

can you people shut the hell up and let jackie bradley start the season in center field.This post is full of S--T birds as we called them in the MARINE CORPS.

semper fi    STEVEBOSOX1946

I spent 6 years in the marines when i was younger and never heard anyone giving their honest opinion being called S--T bird.  JBJ will get his chance don't worry, the fans that know what to expect will just need to live with the results for a year or two.  Those who have been cyring for him to start for two years and feel he can replace Ells right away will probably be hiding under a different name come next June.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Leadoff hitter is a good question for the Sox, but don't think it is all about stolen bases, which Jackson is notmuch for, by the way.   The Sox do have a high OBP guy like Nava who could be considered for the role.  Victorino is not as good at getting on base buy is alsoin play here..

Nava vs RHPs and Victorino vs LHPs would give us a very nice OBP (actually projecting better than Jacoby's).