Autographs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

Autographs

I'm wondering where/how I could go about getting players autographs? Not so much the current players, but players from the 70's or 80's? I'm in Canada and nowhere close to anywhere that would have a convention for these kinds of things, maybe a website where I could arrange it through? I don't want it for ebay or anything like that, just a gift.

I know this might not be the right place to ask, it might be against some forum rules, but I don't know where else to look into getting Red Sox autographs and it's for a family member who isn't doing so well at the moment so if you don't have anything nice to say please don't give me grief over this.

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Autographs

In response to Modano9009's comment:

I'm wondering where/how I could go about getting players autographs? Not so much the current players, but players from the 70's or 80's? I'm in Canada and nowhere close to anywhere that would have a convention for these kinds of things, maybe a website where I could arrange it through? I don't want it for ebay or anything like that, just a gift.

I know this might not be the right place to ask, it might be against some forum rules, but I don't know where else to look into getting Red Sox autographs and it's for a family member who isn't doing so well at the moment so if you don't have anything nice to say please don't give me grief over this.

Thanks.

Find out where they live or their agent if they still have one or former team. Send a letter asking for thier autograpg and why. Also would help if you send something for them to sign.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

this site has a ton...not cheap though.

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/search2.php?N=3822+5&Rpp=20&Ns=0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I was a huge collector of baseball cards, autographs, etc. as a kid.  I'd send out dozens of letters at a time to players - I can't remember right now where I got their addresses, but I think it was to their homes - with a polite, handwritten letter (out of necessity as an IBM mainframe wouldn't have fit comfortably into my bedroom), some baseball cards and/or 3x5 index cards and a stamped, self-addressed envelope.  I didn't keep track of the return rate, but it was significant and the biggest high was getting letters from players with autographs and occasionally a little note.

These days, I suspect a lot of players wouldn't be so responsive because they know there are a lot of greedy chancers gagging to put such things on eBay.  But some might.

I sold most of the valuable stuff when I grew up....car, Uni, travel...but I should find out where the rest is.  My Junior Gilliam game jersey I still wear occasionally, but the personal check from Judge Landis to Harry Hooper got me a used MG Midget.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's an article that might be helpful for you:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/sports/baseball/11address.html?_r=0

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano9009. Show Modano9009's posts

Thanks very much for the help guys, much appreciated!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When I lived in Florida every team would have their "legends day". Most teams also have their former stars hanging around.

But since your in Canada, I would say send something to get signed to their Home or to their agent along with a short letter. Most will sign. It might take a while and you might get your item you sent to get signed back slightly altered. (Reggie White signed a card for me but used scissors to cut the edge a little so I wouldnt make a profit off his name.) If you do a little dgging you will find where to send it...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

I was a huge collector of baseball cards, autographs, etc. as a kid.  I'd send out dozens of letters at a time to players - I can't remember right now where I got their addresses, but I think it was to their homes - with a polite, handwritten letter (out of necessity as an IBM mainframe wouldn't have fit comfortably into my bedroom), some baseball cards and/or 3x5 index cards and a stamped, self-addressed envelope.  I didn't keep track of the return rate, but it was significant and the biggest high was getting letters from players with autographs and occasionally a little note.

These days, I suspect a lot of players wouldn't be so responsive because they know there are a lot of greedy chancers gagging to put such things on eBay.  But some might.

I sold most of the valuable stuff when I grew up....car, Uni, travel...but I should find out where the rest is.  My Junior Gilliam game jersey I still wear occasionally, but the personal check from Judge Landis to Harry Hooper got me a used MG Midget.....

You wear your Junior Gilliam 'game-used' jersey?  I don't know whether to suggest a restraining order, or admire your love of the game.

Your other collection probably still has some good value, especially if it the same time frame as Gilliam and Hooper, though even those aren't too close together.  A lot of those guys might be gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Thanks.

How bad is this person? Maybe try contacting ( Make a wish Foundation) Tell them your story and just might get more then just an Autograph ? You never know....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Thanks.

It might depend on which player it is also.  On E-bay, I see that a Pedroia ball with a LOA went for $14.99 + $6 for S&H.  So for $21, you have the ball and the autograph.  Sometimes it pays to pay a little extra.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Thanks.

It might depend on which player it is also.  On E-bay, I see that a Pedroia ball with a LOA went for $14.99 + $6 for S&H.  So for $21, you have the ball and the autograph.  Sometimes it pays to pay a little extra.

Just because an autograph has a LOA (Letter of Authenticity) or a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) doesn't mean it's authentic.I've dealt with a lot of autographed items and some of the COA's I see aren't worth the paper they're written on.Anyone who has a printer can make a COA,and many do.The most trustworthy auotgraphs come from companies like Upper Deck,PSA/DNA,James Spence,Tristar and Mounted Memories.

There's been a ton of forged items flooding the market.Here's a list of some of the companies LOA's that are banned on eBay,and there's more fake ones that haven't been banned yet:

• ACE Authentic

• Coach's Corner Sports Auctions LLC

• Christopher L. Morales

• CSC Collectibles

• Donald Frangipani

• Forensic Document Services

• Hollywood Dreams

• J. DiMaggio Co. / J. DiMaggio Company

• Legends Sports Memorabilia

• Nathan's Autographs / N.E. Autographs

• Nicholas Burczyk

• Pro Sports / Pro Sports Memorabilia

• Rare and Signed.com

• Robert Prouty

• R.R.'s Sports Cards & Collectibles

• SCAA / Front Page Art / Angelo Marino

• Slamdunk Sportscards & Memorabilia

• Sports Alley Memorabilia

• Sports Management Group

• Stan's Sports / Stans Sports Memorabilia

• TTA Authentic (formerly STAT Authentic)

• Universal Memorabilia

• XMI Authentications

• USA Authentics

There are real autographs to be had,but if it looks too good to be true,it probably is.Know the Autheticators and their reputations,it's the safest way to buy signed items.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

This may sound crazy but one easy way to get autographs is by traveling to the Dominican Republic during December and January (during their winter baseball league season). 

I usually go once every two years to watch a few ballgames. 

Pedro Martinez, Albert Pujols, Robinson Cano, Ronnie Belliard, Jose Reyes, etc. usually hang out in the Santo Domingo area (along George Washington Ave.) and the ballparks. 

Sammy Sosa and Julio Lugo hang out in San Pedro de Macoris.  I wasn't that happy to see Lugo.  LOL

Manny Ramirez works out at the Gold Gym located inside Plaza International in Santiago. 

Bartolo Colon hangs out at Puerto Plata.

It's easy to walk up to them and kindly ask for their autograph.  ALL of them (even Manny LOL) were more than happy to give me an autograph.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

You wear your Junior Gilliam 'game-used' jersey?  I don't know whether to suggest a restraining order, or admire your love of the game.

Your other collection probably still has some good value, especially if it the same time frame as Gilliam and Hooper, though even those aren't too close together.  A lot of those guys might be gone.

I think you have to use such things (occasionally) rather than just look at them or, worse, leave them in a box.  I also occasionally use a tie pin my dad was given as a "journalist" (he was a radio DJ and somehow blagged his way in) at the '61 All Star game at Fenway.  I'm afraid of losing it one day, but I refuse to be all precious about it....it's just a thing, after all.  A beautiful thing my dad gave me....and when I wear it I invariably get asked about it and tell tell them about my dad.  That gives me far more pleasure than mounting it over the mantle piece like a big game hunter would with an antelope's head.  ;-)