aviles traded agian....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

aviles traded agian....

Blue Jays Acquire Esmil Rogers For Aviles, Gomes

The Blue Jays have acquired Esmil Rogers from the Indians for Mike Aviles and Yan Gomes both teams announced. The move fills a hole for each club, as Toronto gets pitching depth while Cleveland gets infield depth.

Rogers, 27, pitched to a 3.06 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 2.0 BB/9 in 53 innings for the Tribe this year. He was acquired from the Rockies for cash in mid-June after being designated for assignment. Rogers throws very hard -- averaged 95.7 mph with the fastball in 2012 -- and remains under team control through 2016. He fell just short of the Super Two cutoff this

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ytwLehPw7oIw6wDU.99

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: aviles traded agian....

He is just following Scutaro everywhere.  Can we assume the Giants are his next team?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

And this is why I think it's foolish to trade a player for a manager. Unless Farrell will be on the field with a glove on next season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It's foolish to trade a player for a manager because it allows subsequwent deals involving utility infielders and awful relief pitchers?

The idea seems silly to me, but really, what was Aviles future here?  Was he even going to be tendered a contract?   and if he was, what was his role? The best case for him in ST was that he would be the favorite in the 3-way battle for utiltiy infilder with Ciriaco and DeJesus...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Reunited with Terry Francona

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's foolish to trade a player for a manager because it allows subsequwent deals involving utility infielders and awful relief pitchers?

The idea seems silly to me, but really, what was Aviles future here?  Was he even going to be tendered a contract?   and if he was, what was his role? The best case for him in ST was that he would be the favorite in the 3-way battle for utiltiy infilder with Ciriaco and DeJesus...

[/QUOTE]

IMO, any player is worth far more than a manager. Aviles as a UI is worth more than Farrell as a manager. Aviles also could have been used as a part of a deal to aquire a useful player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

why did we even have to make a trade to sign a last place manager? the mind boggles trying to figure out benC's GM moves...

seriously ben, farrell suxed in toronto, he was in his last contract yr...you had all the cards...typical

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IMO, any player is worth far more than a manager. Aviles as a UI is worth more than Farrell as a manager. Aviles also could have been used as a part of a deal to aquire a useful player.

[/QUOTE]
    its funny how a yr changes things....last hot stove after scutaro was traded i was bombarded with all these great posts about aviles stats and how he would be an upgrade at shortstop....and i wasnt unhappy with him and his effort in 2012...he was a gamer (although not a starting ss imo)...now that he was traded for a last place losing manager, he has been devalued like yesterday's currency...now he is a utility player again....just wow

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

who cares about aviles...i'll take farrell anytime....it was a good deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Great...Now the Blue Jays get the pitcher that beaned WMB in the wrist, ending his season...Hopefully hes learned a little control...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]aviles
    aviles had better years than farrell recently...considerably better

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]aviles
    aviles had better years than farrell recently...considerably better

[/QUOTE]

farrell was in toronto..what if he was already in boston? with boston lineup? being in toronto does not mean farrell is bad....to me aviles is just a backup player..nothing more.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To get Farrell out of his contract, Toronto demanded compensation. Precedent and MLB sanctioned this. It was therefore mandatory that we compensate Toronto with a player. It goes with the territory. Standard Operating Procedure.

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox did not need to hire Farrell. There were other qualified candidates available who did not require compensation to hire. IMO, it was not worth any player to get Farrell. Players should be used to acquire other players, not managers. I understand why it was done that way; I disagree with the move in principle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

To get Farrell out of his contract, Toronto demanded compensation. Precedent and MLB sanctioned this. It was therefore mandatory that we compensate Toronto with a player. It goes with the territory. Standard Operating Procedure.

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox did not need to hire Farrell. There were other qualified candidates available who did not require compensation to hire. IMO, it was not worth any player to get Farrell. Players should be used to acquire other players, not managers. I understand why it was done that way; I disagree with the move in principle.

[/QUOTE]

This was the first Red Sox board I signed up on (Feb, 2005) and I'm amazed at how this place has changed.  Sad to say it but we have gotten a large number of pollyannas and apologists who do nothing but make excuses for the front office's ineptness, dysfunction, and general stupidity.  Hiring Farrell was stupid IMO because it not only cost us a player, and whether he was a solid one or not is besides the point.  We hired a manager who flopped big time in Toronto and left the club worse off than when he inherited it.  As far as Aviles was concerned I would much rather have him as a possible utility infielder next season that that miserable Dodger reject DeJesus.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This was the first Red Sox board I signed up on (Feb, 2005) and I'm amazed at how this place has changed.  Sad to say it but we have gotten a large number of pollyannas and apologists who do nothing but make excuses for the front office's ineptness, dysfunction, and general stupidity.  Hiring Farrell was stupid IMO because it not only cost us a player, and whether he was a solid one or not is besides the point.  We hired a manager who flopped big time in Toronto and left the club worse off than when he inherited it.  As far as Aviles was concerned I would much rather have him as a possible utility infielder next season that that miserable Dodger reject DeJesus.

[/QUOTE]

You are welcome to go to a different board.  I'm pretty sure I've had pets that understand the business side of baseball better than you do.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ciriaco?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

terry francona was a losing manager in phillly before coming to boston. whats your point? the players make the manager not the other way around. sure, the manager plays a role in their performance but ultimately the players are on the field doing the work. hence the names. players (to play) and managers (to manage). at the end of the day, farrell is the best fit for boston and vice versa. he also works very well with BC. a fluid relationship between all pieces of the organization (something that we definitely did not have last year) should help us out too.

with managers its not about finding the best guy out there. its about finding the best guy for YOU. thats farrell. feel free to give a name available that is a better fit for our organization.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And then you went with your pal Zac to a board he created on a Sox site to turn that into a Sox/Yankee site to get rid of all the Sox fans there who didn't hate the Sox and love the Yankees? And your opinion now is there are pollyannas and apologists i.e. Sox fans here who love the Sox?

I sincerely wish all of Zac's pals who decided to take over a Sox site would take their crap back to the Sox site they wrecked. It would really help to get rid of all the posters from that site that still don't want Sox fans on Red Sox: On the Front Burner, which, technically belongs to them -- or at least it should.

Don't let the door hit'cha...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He also might have been non-tendered.

So they used a player we might have thrown away to get the manager they had a bizarre fixation on.

In the end, I can live with this, maybe because the early "Buchholz / Farrell" reports were scary and Aviles seemed like a much more reasonable price.  I never wanted Farrell, but its not like I was making posts teeming with better candidates.  OK, I pledged some support to Sal Fasano, but really, wht do I know about him as a manager?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great...Now the Blue Jays get the pitcher that beaned WMB in the wrist, ending his season...Hopefully hes learned a little control...

[/QUOTE]

Please stop referring to Middlebrooks as "WMB".  It looks too much like "WMP."

25. This post has been removed.