Bailey to be tendered?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

Re: Bailey to be tendered?

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wait a second. If he's on the 60-day-DL, then he's not on the 40-man roster, right? If he's not on the 40-man-roster, then he doesn't count towards the luxury tax, right? Or am I wrong on that?

If I'm right then where's the downside? 

[/QUOTE]

His contract WILL count towards the luxury tax should he be tendered a contract and it's signed.  Any major league contract that is gaurateed WILL go towards the luxary tax for that season....injury or no injury.  It's kind of a gray area in the whole 40 man roster thing....kind of like they're separate.....but not really....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont trust Billy Beane on any Trades. Most of the guys you listed stay healthy. Pitch an entire season. Sox were smart they would make Webster a reilever. They did it with Papelbon, a so-so Starter in the Minors, but made a good career as a closer. You might get some growing pains, but that is the life with kids. Develop a Closer in the Minors. 2 Pitches thats all you need. Koji showed what you can do when throw strikes.

Thats whats sad about Bard he had it, good fastball and great slider. Then we made him a starter.

[/QUOTE]

Ben was in a tough spot when he took over. He didnt have much room to do anything, so Im sure some moves werent his first options as he was very limited due to the payroll.

Bard was a headcase and would have faultered regardless IMHO.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why would they ever offer a contract to him? No one else will at least near the estimated price tag of $4.3M which is what is expected in arb. Prorated over what he will play, they would be offering him the equivalent of an $8-9M contract.

Non-tender him and try to get him for $1-2M, if that.

What has he done with the Red Sox warranting that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Over under number of innings Bailey will toss in 2014? I say 10.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I am not a Bailey fan and would not be happy paying him $4M IF he were completely healthy at this point in time.

Signing him for $1-1.5 with incentives based on his health would look like a much better option to me, and I cannot imagine anyone else paying any more for him.

Wilson only got $1 M from the Dodgers for the last one third of last season as they did not really know how healthy his arm was after his surgery.  I cannot understand paying Bailey over $4M now and not knowing how healthy he will be by the middle of next summer.

To the poster who mentioned signing him and then trading him, I cannot imagine that he is worth a bucket of BP balls at this time to another team if he is attached to a $4M contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What would be the benefit of offering Bailey anything? Non-tender him and see what he can't get. He won't get much. 

Besides, was he any good? Lots of injuries since PED testing  began.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

What would be the benefit of offering Bailey anything? Non-tender him and see what he can't get. He won't get much. 

Bailey's entire professional baseball career has been after PED testing began. Drafted in 2006, and rookie year in ML in 2009. Hinting that he's a former PED user who's getting hurt now that testing began is ridiculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Then again, just because he isn't non-tendered does not mean they go directly to arbitration.   It is possible something gets worked out prior...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to johnjamesgoldman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bard wasn't a "headcase" when he first came up. This is a meaningless slur. Bard developed confidence problems after being one of the best pen arms in MLB. 

Bard was the draft pick for the Yankees signing Damon. Despite only getting a short term high quality MLB time from Bard, the Yankees did the Red Sox a favor by saving Damon from the long term books.

Bailey's issues have been his physical constituion, which becomes manifest over several years of MLB career service. Bottom line, this was not the way to acquire a year's service contract for Bailey.  

[/QUOTE]

Bard was a head case in college. The one reason I didn't like the pick was his head case issues. And he continued to be a head case in the low minors. You are mistaken.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bailey's entire professional baseball career has been after PED testing began. Drafted in 2006, and rookie year in ML in 2009. Hinting that he's a former PED user who's getting hurt now that testing began is ridiculous.

[/QUOTE]

ADG wanted to get a head start insulting all the RS players this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to johnjamesgoldman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bard wasn't a "headcase" when he first came up. This is a meaningless slur. Bard developed confidence problems after being one of the best pen arms in MLB. 

Bard was the draft pick for the Yankees signing Damon. Despite only getting a short term high quality MLB time from Bard, the Yankees did the Red Sox a favor by saving Damon from the long term books.

Bailey's issues have been his physical constituion, which becomes manifest over several years of MLB career service. Bottom line, this was not the way to acquire a year's service contract for Bailey.  

[/QUOTE]

And softy has been banned already. Only took 14 posts...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Bailey officially non-tendered.  Good move by Cherington.

Perhaps look to re-sign Bailey after he recovers and shows that he is healthy again, but still not for very much money or length of contract.  Maybe $750,000 to a million for next year if he is ready to pitch by July.

Or let him go and let him find another team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I guess he was non-tendered according to Salk from WEEI

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bailey and Kalish non-tendered according to MLBTR.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Neither non-tender surprised me.  Although I do wonder how long the Sox plan on keeping 4 backup catchers on the 40-man roster...