baited hook

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

baited hook

I didn't get the desired response from my earlier thread, 'such a great start for Ortiz'.  I was rather hoping that some might be intrigued enough to ask the identity of this former Sox player.  He was one of my boyhood favorites, so with your indulgence, I'm going to give it another shot by re-posting.

Given Ortiz’s history of slow early-season starts, I’m absolutely delighted with his performance in April. It’s certainly unreasonable to think that he will maintain this torrid pace, but if he can stay healthy, and continue to take advantage of his newly-found opposite field stroke, he might just have an MVP type year.

Not to start an argument over who was or is the better player, but his offensive output in April reminds me of a former Sox player who likewise got off to an incredible start at the beginning of the season. And some may remember this fabulous season of offensive production.

This guy ended up leading the league in RBIs (144) and total bases (326), while batting .322 with 34 homers. In addition, his .583 slugging percentage and 70 extra bases were second in the league and his .961 OPS was third best in the AL. He subsequently finished 6th for the league MVP, but did make Rookie of the Year and was selected to the All-Star Game.

I’d be ecstatic if David could compile numbers like these this season. Wouldn’t you?

It might help you to know that this un-named player turned down an opportunity to play for the Chicago Bears in order to pursue a baseball career and subsequently signed with the Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: baited hook

harry agganis?????

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

dropo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

harry agganis?????

I dont think agganis won ROY?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

harry agganis?????

Agganis was a superb athlete and it was tragic that his career was cut short by a pulmonary embollism while battling pneumonia.  But he did not win Rookie of the Year.  In fact, in 1954 Agganis had a modest rookie campaign, though he did lead American League first basemen in assists and fielding percentage.

Perhaps you'll recognize this photo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

dropo

Gotta' hand it to you, you were all over that one. Thanks for playing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Ortiz is not going to win any MVP awards at this stage of his career.

I am always amazed at how people that follow baseball can get overly excited when a player has either a really good month or a really bad month.

Ortiz has only played in ten games....please let's not start any MVP voting based on ten games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I am always amazed at how people that follow baseball can get overly excited when a player has either a really good month or a really bad month.

Ortiz has only played in ten games....please let's not start any MVP voting based on ten games.

Not one person mentioned that Ortiz should get MVP votes, based on a couple of weeks.

I'm always amazing at how much enjoyment some get by wizzing on other's parades...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

harry agganis?????

I dont think agganis won ROY?

He wasn't even very good, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Maybe you should reread the post. Only stated MVP type season if it continues and hoped for that. No one got overly excited.

You are right tho there are many here that do go way over board on good and bad.
    Seems everything is always worse than it is or greater than it really is with many on this forum

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ortiz has been amazing this year but it seems to me it's because he has a clear idea of what he wants to do for each at bat.  I expect this to continue.  MVP is doubtful, but team MVP is not.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy wanted Papi demoted to AAA, and to divert away from that position, claims my position of moving him from the 3 slot to the 5 slot vs RHPs and 7 slot vs LHPs meant I wanted him cut.

He was never Papi's biggest supporter, just as Mike Lowell was never one of his"favorite players". If Mikey was really his favorite player, I'd hate to see what he does to players he dislikes... oh wait, forgive me,  we see that every week on 24 of our 25 players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If papi gives us 120-30 games this year with 25+ HR and 80+ RBI, Id be Ok with that. I think he will surpass those batting numbers though. Guess we will know come september

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

At best he ends up with 25/80...... great if he wasn't our #4 hitter. 

80 RBIs, at best?  Are you serious?  And, if so, do you have disposable wealth?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

At best he ends up with 25/80...... great if he wasn't our #4 hitter. 

80 RBIs, at best?  Are you serious?  And, if so, do you have disposable wealth?

Well, I'd hope for more than 80 RBIs too, but in 120 games that's about a 107 per 160 rate.