Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V

While those of us who post on these pages are far from the scene, it doesn't seem like rocket science that messing with Bard by moving him into a possible rotation spot made no sense from Day I.

I have never understood why the team would make such a risky move given his previous success in the set-up role, especially in light of Papelbon's departure. 

Sure we need an additional starter or two but why play with fire by moving him into the rotation with all those difficult adjustments to the role? In a worst case scenario. the team weakens the bullpen and he doesn't cut it in the rotation.

In the end, the pitching, generally, looks messed up at this late stage, two weeks before Opening Day!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i wasnt for it as well, i thought that they let paps go because they wanted bard to close..but i guess it is worth a shot - spring training is the time to try it...but they should probably give a few chances at least to see if he can succeed...the upside there is too great to chance not starting him

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I hope Bard does go back to the bullpen based on his Minor League and 2012 ST results as a starter.

As a side bar, Lester may be headed there too <sarcasm />, given his meltdown yesterday vs. the Pirates. Lester's post-game comments that stated he was very happy with his mechanics and stuff despite the bombing eerily remind me of John Lackey's post game comments after his many rotten egg starts.

It is not news to anyone on this forum that we are in deep trouble in terms of our Starting Staff and to assume our BP is fine, is crazy. Did you all notice that Bailey got the BS and L yesterday??

No need to remind me that it is only ST and that we have a long way to go. Whatever. The time to excel is now and must be maintained throughout the entire season if we are to have any chance at a playoff spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

He should be going back to the PEN and Aceves too !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V:
    [QUOTE]   He should be going back to the PEN and Aceves too !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    If so, I like the BP of Aceves <versatility, 6th 7th inning guy, occasional start />, Melancon 7th, Bard 8th, Bailey Closing <while he is healthy>, when Bailey goes down, and he will, just move this line forward until he rehabs.

It is time for BC to make a move for 4th and or 5th SP and discard this Bard (Joba Chamberlain) experiment. It is not going to work. He only has two pitches and his WHIP is horrible. End this madness now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this is why i was certain we traded Marco...free up the money, start Iggy, and sign Roy....I liked my plan better...but apparently Roy Oswalt is semiretired...wtfff?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V : If so, I like the BP of Aceves <versatility, 6th 7th inning guy, occasional start />, Melancon 7th, Bard 8th, Bailey Closing <while he is healthy />, when Bailey goes down, and he will, just move this line forward until he rehabs. It is time for BC to make a move for 4th and or 5th SP and discard this Bard (Joba Chamberlain) experiment. It is not going to work. He only has two pitches and his WHIP is horrible. End this madness now.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]  Me too !!!  And I really like Doubront & the other lefty starting !!  ( the name excapes me)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You guys want to trade Bard for Tebow?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]You guys want to trade Bard for Tebow?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Actually, Tebow's delivery and arm angle while throwing are perfect for a pitcherCool

And just think how signing Tebow would keep the Athletes and Religion OP going on for years to ultimately become the highest posting number topic in the history of the internet and transforming the entire BDC website into an Athletes and Religion based experience.Surprised

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V : Actually, Tebow's delivery and arm angle while throwing are perfect for a pitcher And just think how signing Tebow would keep the Athletes and Religion OP going on for years to ultimately become the highest posting number topic in the history of the internet and transforming the entire BDC website into an Athletes and Religion based experience.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sin - I feel so much better now. Maybe Tebow can come in and mediate the Pike issue as well.

I am never going to see another Jets championship in my life; am I?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd be extremely happy with Bard in the pen. I just wish Aceves could be too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

This starting rotation isnt looking too hot right now. People seemed to think Bard was going to be a shoe in for the 4th spot and we could pick from the pile of broken dreams for the 5th. Now with Bard heading back to bullpen (which has also looked so so this spring) we have 2 spots to fill. Not too mention Beckett, who's velocity is down, and Buchholz who's coming off a back injury. I don't know man.... a little disconcerting. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bard and Aceves in Pen with an occasional start in an emergency.

Trade for either Floyd or Wandy if Ben and Bobby aren't happy with Cook & Paddy.  We need people that understand being starting pitchers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I'd be extremely happy with Bard in the pen. I just wish Aceves could be too.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I have agreed with you from the beginning on this Moon. I never understood why a team would weaken a strength to only level off an area which needed strengthening. I hate that the Sox got M.M., but if you put Bard and Aceves back in the pen, you are looking at a shorter game for opponents to get to the Sox. Aceves, MM, Bard and Baily can turn the Sox games into 6 inning battles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V : I have agreed with you from the beginning on this Moon. I never understood why a team would weaken a strength to only level off an area which needed strengthening. I hate that the Sox got M.M., but if you put Bard and Aceves back in the pen, you are looking at a shorter game for opponents to get to the Sox. Aceves, MM, Bard and Baily can turn the Sox games into 6 inning battles.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. Why make our SP and BP complete question marks by Starting Bard and Aceves? Rather, have them both in the BP, making it a strength, then focus on finding a 4 and 5 within the organization or via trades and or FA signings. If we can't, at least on the days the ???? 4 or 5 starts our BP should be able to take over early. Sadly, either way really, we are in trouble this year in terms of pitching overall. If BC can't at least find a decent 4 we are in for a long year with lots of slugfests ending in losses.....of course we have never had seasons like that beforeCool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V : Exactly. Why make our SP and BP complete question marks by Starting Bard and Aceves? Rather, have them both in the BP, making it a strength, then focus on finding a 4 and 5 within the organization or via trades and or FA signings. If we can't, at least on the days the ???? 4 or 5 starts our BP should be able to take over early. Sadly, either way really, we are in trouble this year in terms of pitching overall. If BC can't at least find a decent 4 we are in for a long year with lots of slugfests ending in losses.....of course we have never had seasons like that before
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

I think last year showed that the #'s 4 & 5 do not have to be all-star quality pitchers for teams to reach the post season. Yes, it would be nice, but when you have a line-up like Boston or NY, you don't need a stocked rotation like the Rays.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonola. Show nonola's posts

Where are all those posters from "who will be the 5th starter" who yelled at me when I questioned wether or not we even had a 4th starter. I never thought it was a good idea from the beginning and am waiting for the final decision to be made to return Bard to the bullpen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Bard moving back to the bullpen? Say it's not true Bobby V": [QUOTE]Nothing definite from the Red Sox yet on this decision. Still two more weeks of ST left. Need more looks at the pitchers involved. Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE] Exactly...so much can change. Bard has a 2.70 e.r.a. as a starter this spring but judging by the comments on this thread, you would think he has been awful. A lot can happen over the next two weeks. Judging how a bullpen is going to do during the season based on Spring Training is ludicrous. There have been maybe a handful of relief pitchers over the last decade who were consistently great year after year. Tampa's bullpen was supposed to be awful last year after losing all those guys in the off-season. How did that turn out?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Not a big deal, either way. What is a big deal is that Tim Wastefield will no longer be an option. Thank you, Bobby V, for saying you don't want Wastefield.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yessah

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

[QUOTE]Not a big deal, either way. What is a big deal is that Tim Wastefield will no longer be an option. Thank you, Bobby V, for saying you don't want Wastefield.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

The FO and ninety percent of the forum preferred that Wake and Tek retire. I don't see 100 posters saying " I told you so".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

They ought to begin the season with both Aceves and Bard in the starting rotation; both deserve a shot and were informed they'd get a shot.  I believe both guys are quality pitchers who, if given the chance, will pitch very well as starters with an era from the low 3s to the low 4s.  If in the second month it's obvious that it's not working out for one or both, well, you'll have Dice and maybe someone like a Cook or a Doubront who will be showing by then that they're ready to take a shot.