Bard sent back to AA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bard sent back to AA

Daniel Bard has been optioned back to AA to make room for Joel Hanrahan.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/04/28/daniel-bard-headed-back-to-minors-to-make-room-for-joel-hanrahan/

Just highlight the link and right click to open in another tab. The forum is still acting up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Bard sent back to AA

Wow. That was fast. Glad to see Hannrahan back though. I think he'll be good. The Balt game probly a blip on the radar.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Haven't given up on Bard just yet.  Nothing like a few long bus trips to turn you around

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

It really is a shame.  Bard had some of the nastiest stuff I have ever seen.  SOmething must have just tweeked upstairs.  I will say that I think all of the opinions about how him being converted to a starter is what ruined him are off base A BIT.  I think it had an effect but remember...Bard was a starter at NC.  He was a converted BP guy after he got drafted.  The sox originally wanted him as a starter but had more of a need in the BP.  The season before he was converted he was actually doing quite lousy in the BP near the end of the season.  All of us were saying at the time "uh oh....what's up with Bard?"  He has access to some of the best pitching coaches in the country....I think it's time to realize that this is not as simple as "he should never have become a starter".  I think it's the wiring upstairs.....we have all seen players just suddenly 'not be good'.  Hate to say it....but a change of scenery may be good for him....and I mean somewhere other than the Boston Organization.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You could package Bard and a couple other guys and get a decent player in return.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It was sad and discouraging to watch Bard the other night. He looked totally lost. Not even close to throwing a strike , even with diminished velocity. I am not ready to give up on him ,  but it does not look good.  He seems to have lost all confidence. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

It really is a shame.  Bard had some of the nastiest stuff I have ever seen.  SOmething must have just tweeked upstairs.  I will say that I think all of the opinions about how him being converted to a starter is what ruined him are off base A BIT.  I think it had an effect but remember...Bard was a starter at NC.  He was a converted BP guy after he got drafted.  The sox originally wanted him as a starter but had more of a need in the BP.  The season before he was converted he was actually doing quite lousy in the BP near the end of the season.  All of us were saying at the time "uh oh....what's up with Bard?"  He has access to some of the best pitching coaches in the country....I think it's time to realize that this is not as simple as "he should never have become a starter".  I think it's the wiring upstairs.....we have all seen players just suddenly 'not be good'.  Hate to say it....but a change of scenery may be good for him....and I mean somewhere other than the Boston Organization.

The statement in bold: That's not really true. He had an ERA over 7.00 in 22 starts, averaging more than one walk per inning in his first minor league season. That's why he was converted to a reliever. That's why I questioned the move from reliever back to starter, but I wasn't necessarily against it. Other teams have done it with pitchers with great success. And, it was possible that what he learned as a reliever would help him this time around. And for awhile, it looked as if it might work. He had a lot of positive moments before it blew up in his face.

I do agree with you that it is too simple to say moving him to starter ruined him. Like you said, he showed signs at the end of 2011 that something was wrong. I believe his problems started in 2011.

I'm not ready to give up on him, however. He still might be salvagable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

No doubt his problems began in 2011. The idea moving him to starting is the problem is just wrong. He needs to pitch almost every day to see if he can get it together. At this point it's safe to say he'll never be a closer. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'll say it AGAIN...for about the upteenth time

1. Bard STUNK as a starter in the minors.  Hence, the Sox decision to change him to a reliever.

2. SHAME on Bard for getting greedy money-wise and wanting to be a starter when he knew he stunk as a starter in the minors.

3. SHAME on his sycophant agent for agreeing to the change when all he could see were dollar signs.

4. SHAME on the Red Sox for capitulaing to their request instead of leaving alone a clock that was working beautiful.

5. I'm hoping Bard turns it around, but I sincerely have reservation.

6. Bard, his agent, and the Sox have no one to blame but themselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Haven't given up on Bard just yet.  Nothing like a few long bus trips to turn you around

Bard is toast. He should have been released.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Bard is toast. He should have been released.

Why would you release a guy who has been throwing mid 90's who has options left? Bard may never recover, but the Sox lose nothing by having continue to find himself in the Minors....remember this happened to Bard before(albeit in the Minors) and he figured it out and became a Dominant ML reliever.....releasing him would be a horrible business decision

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

He got lit up as a starter because his secondary pitches were ok enough to fool college hitters and he could just beat them with his FB, but not professional hitters. Also, hes always had trouble the 2nd and 3rd time through a lineup. His mental makeup wasnt a fit for waiting 5 days in between starts. He gets into his own head and thinks too much. One of the few thisgs Valentine was right about was to keep him in the BP. Id give him this year to figure it out and then package him up in a deal so maybe he can do well somewhere else, if he doesnt get back to form this year.

There are a bunch of GM's who will say that all he needs is a change of scenery to get back to being a dominant BP arm and throwing 100MPH again. He still has value IMO.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

1. Bard STUNK as a starter in the minors.  Hence, the Sox decision to change him to a reliever.

2. SHAME on Bard for getting greedy money-wise and wanting to be a starter when he knew he stunk as a starter in the minors.

3. SHAME on his sycophant agent for agreeing to the change when all he could see were dollar signs.

4. SHAME on the Red Sox for capitulaing to their request instead of leaving alone a clock that was working beautiful.

It was Bard who asked to be a starter and the Sox appeased him. And his problems started in September of 2011. He wasn't as bad as in 2012, but he wasn't good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

It was Bard who asked to be a starter and the Sox appeased him. And his problems started in September of 2011. He wasn't as bad as in 2012, but he wasn't good.

True..it's why I said the Sox capitulated to his request.