Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players

The Red Sox won 89 games last season and that was probably a few more than they should have. They didn't have Jacoby Ellsbury all year. They didn't have  Dustin Pedroia for three months. They didn't have  Kevin Youkilis for two months. They had a terrible bullpen.

But they wrung 89 victories out of what they had. There were probably a dozen times Terry Francona remarked how much he liked that team and how determined they were.

That's what makes this season so confounding. The Sox were 81-42 from April 16 to Sept. 1. That's 123 games, 76 percent of the season. Playing .658 baseball for four and a half months is pretty amazing.

So what explains the 2-10 start and the 3-11 funk they're in now?

As of Sept. 1, the Red Sox were on a pace to finish with 99 wins. They had four legit MVP candidates, two All-Star starters and a closer having a lock-down season. If you expected better than that, you were unrealistic.

Carl Crawford was part of that team and so was Lackey. So were  Matt Albers,  Daniel Bard and all the other guys who are playing so poorly now.

But something happened when the calendar flipped to September. Injuries are part of it, but injuries don't explain going 3-11. The roster is better than 3-11.

The Sox aren't just losing, they're playing poorly and playing without much passion. Missed cut-off men, poor base-running and situational hitting, a lack of attention to detail. That's on Terry Francona and the coaches.

They also failed to build starter depth. The Red Sox have a well-funded and comprehensive player development system and the only starter they were able to spit out of their vaunted machine for 2011 was  Kyle Weiland? How is that possible? That's on Theo Epstein and his staff.

Injuries are again an issue. Clay Buchholz had a stress fracture that took weeks to diagnose. Kevin Youkilis has broken down, perhaps to the point where he shouldn't play.  Jed Lowrie played with a bum shoulder for several weeks, was shut down, and now he's playing with a bum shoulder again. He is hitting .185/.234/.246 since June 1. What is the point of his being in uniform? That's on the medical staff.

There also is too much of a "everything will be fine" attitude. It took being 2-10 for the Sox to wake up in April and realize that other teams weren't going to lay down. Now they're 3-11 and running out of time to change it. That's on the players. Perhaps its time to play baseball instead of playing with your iPads.

This isn't about making the playoffs. This is about deserving to make the playoffs and being ready to play once you get there.

One of two things can happen. The Sox will continue this slide and go down in baseball history as underachievers who weren't much interested in being great. Or they will remember what made them so good for so long and make what is remaining of this season theirs.

The Sox were a wonderful team for 123 games. How about for 13 more? That doesn't seem like too much to ask.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Re: Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players

I  disagree with some of the points, but it is refreshing to see a veteran beat reporter who levies some justified criticism. Access is all most are worried about. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Way to go Peter Abraham for saying it like it is, and because your saying what many of us in the Red Sox Nation have been saying/feeling, you will probably will not be getting any invitations to events hosted by the Red Sox, let alone be granted any interviews with Sox management and players.  You will probably not even be allowed in the Red Sox clubhouse, but you spoke up and for that I salute you.  There will be those who will take you to task for expressing your opinion, but just remember that many of us totally agree with you.  Way to go, and GO RED SOX DESPITE THEO AND FRANCONA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

us no nothings have been saying this all season long.lousy fundamentals,poor medical staff,nothing done to address pitching shortcomings,no one getting excited or p--d off in clubhouse.

abraham will get support on comcast sportsnet and papers andtalk shows.they don't owe sox anything.only nesn kisses their b.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, it's pretty much of a blanket indictment--Epstein, Francona, the coaches, the medical staff, and the players. 

Most of the criticism on this board is directed at Francona for making bad in-game decisions.  The missed cutoff men has been discussed plenty and deserves criticism. 

Baseball's a funny game and teams rarely if ever benefit from a short visit by a Knute Rockne. 

I hear Peter and his thought about not playing with passion, but I'm not sure how something like that gets fixed.  What looks like a difference in passion in the Rays games seems to me to be primarily a difference in team speed.  The Sox basically have two fast guys, Ellsbury and Crawford, and they are the only two who are encouraged to be aggressive on the base paths.  The Rays have several guys who routinely take two bases on a single, etc. 

The other big difference betweent the two teams, of course, is the pitching.  It's a lot easier to play with "passion" when your pitchers are shutting the other team down and when you can hit practically any pitcher on the opposing team.  And it's kind of hard to "play with passion" when your starter gives up runs early and often or, if he pitches well, your bullpen comes in and gives up runs early and often. 

I have bragged about the Sox hitting all season long, but now have to admit that the Rays pitching--starters and bullpen--has made a huge difference.  But so has the Sox pitching, but in the opposite way.  Who has pitched well in the five most recent games with the Rays?  No one, really. 

While I always think Francona is worth defending, I also believe that, at the end of the season, he is one of the responsible parties, for better or for worse.  So is Theo.  Francona is also completely responsible for what his coaches do or fail to do.  If this season ends badly--no playoffs--it's going to be hard to defend either of them, regardless of injuries or poor player performances. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Abraham makes some good points. Some of the same points that many fans have made before. More of that is needed. We have gone from " Tell it like it is " to an overdose of political correctness. To paraphrase Tito , " That's kind of where we're at right now."  On NESN , Remy and Orsillo are a joke. I'm sure Sox management and players don't like to hear it , but I say " Kudos to Abraham."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff The Red Sox won 89 games last season and that was probably a few more than they should have. They didn't have Jacoby Ellsbury all year. They didn't have   Dustin Pedroia for three months. They didn't have   Kevin Youkilis for two months. They had a terrible bullpen. But they wrung 89 victories out of what they had. There were probably a dozen times Terry Francona remarked how much he liked that team and how determined they were. That's what makes this season so confounding. The Sox were 81-42 from April 16 to Sept. 1. That's 123 games, 76 percent of the season. Playing .658 baseball for four and a half months is pretty amazing. So what explains the 2-10 start and the 3-11 funk they're in now? As of Sept. 1, the Red Sox were on a pace to finish with 99 wins. They had four legit MVP candidates, two All-Star starters and a closer having a lock-down season. If you expected better than that, you were unrealistic.   Carl Crawford was part of that team and so was Lackey . So were   Matt Albers ,   Daniel Bard and all the other guys who are playing so poorly now. But something happened when the calendar flipped to September. Injuries are part of it, but injuries don't explain going 3-11. The roster is better than 3-11. The Sox aren't just losing, they're playing poorly and playing without much passion. Missed cut-off men, poor base-running and situational hitting, a lack of attention to detail. That's on Terry Francona and the coaches. They also failed to build starter depth. The Red Sox have a well-funded and comprehensive player development system and the only starter they were able to spit out of their vaunted machine for 2011 was   Kyle Weiland ? How is that possible? That's on Theo Epstein and his staff. Injuries are again an issue. Clay Buchholz had a stress fracture that took weeks to diagnose. Kevin Youkilis has broken down, perhaps to the point where he shouldn't play.   Jed Lowrie played with a bum shoulder for several weeks, was shut down, and now he's playing with a bum shoulder again. He is hitting .185/.234/.246 since June 1. What is the point of his being in uniform? That's on the medical staff. There also is too much of a "everything will be fine" attitude. It took being 2-10 for the Sox to wake up in April and realize that other teams weren't going to lay down. Now they're 3-11 and running out of time to change it. That's on the players. Perhaps its time to play baseball instead of playing with your iPads. This isn't about making the playoffs. This is about deserving to make the playoffs and being ready to play once you get there. One of two things can happen. The Sox will continue this slide and go down in baseball history as underachievers who weren't much interested in being great. Or they will remember what made them so good for so long and make what is remaining of this season theirs. The Sox were a wonderful team for 123 games. How about for 13 more? That doesn't seem like too much to ask.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

I agree on many "not all" points, I'm glad someone besides a select few of us average fans were brave enough to put it out to the public.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

In Response to Re: Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players:
    [QUOTE]Abraham makes some good points. Some of the same points that many fans have made before. More of that is needed. We have gone from " Tell it like it is " to an overdose of political correctness. To paraphrase Tito , " That's kind of where we're at right now."  On NESN , Remy and Orsillo are a joke. I'm sure Sox management and players don't like to hear it , but I say " Kudos to Abraham."
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    I am with you. About time someone told it like it is, not sugar-coat it the way Orsillo and Remy do. Eck tells it like it is too. I always listen to what Peter says. He is a very savvy guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cant really argue with Peter on this one.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

On NESN , Remy and Orsillo are a joke. I'm sure Sox management and players don't like to hear it , but I say " Kudos to Abraham."                     

Orsillo is the worst television baseball announcer I've ever had to suffer through. Aside from being obnoxiously loud, the man never stops talking on what is a video focus with the need for more audio on the field for the sounds of the game. Unlike golf, baseball is still in the stone age for audio-visual sports production.

The two of them are like a couple of delinquent frat boys. Remy always sounds and looks like he doesn't want to be there, which is probably due to his unfortunate health history. 

Of course, the two are never going to utter a word of criticism to the favorite members on the stage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Things I have issues with are....

1) Buchholz injury. How does it take that long to figure out he had a fracture in his back? I'm obviously not a doctor, but wouldn't it be best to check for anything it could possibly be, rather than just assume it's something that it's not and lose healing time in between? I don't know, but between that, the Ellsbury situation last year and the crazy amount of injuries the past two years, something seems odd.

2) Starting pitching...Dice-K was done early. Buchholz was hurt since June. Lackey was so bad there was talk he might not finish the year in the rotation, and when he "bounced back", it was because he was able to keep it to like 4 runs in 6 innings. Not exactly steller. What did they do to remedy this? Scrap heap guys, then made what would be considered a minor move any other time if the year by getting Bedard. He pitched well, but they needed more than him. I don't think they needed to grab an All Star SS or RF, but I do think they needed to either make a big move or multiple medium moves with the pitching staff. They literally need Lester and Beckett to win every time out because nobody else is reliable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Stress fractures are extremely hard to diagnos.  Besides, the diagnosis had no impact because by the time he had the stress fracture, he wasn't pitching.

The reason the team has broken down is because of how they played in June and July.  They were phenomenal during those 2 months, winning at an unheard of .700 clip.  When playing at such a high level, it's easy to overlook fatigue and minor injuries because you're in the zone.  But it finally caught up with them.

We've all been there - having a great time so we go way past our limit.  Don't really feel it until the next day when we can't move.  In the case of the Sox, it took 2 months for it to catch up with them.

Plus, the schedule was very tough - 2 game road series, extra inning games and rain delays.  In those situations, it hard for the guys to get the rest they need and to get the treatment for the minor injuries.  It can't be good on a bad back to play off and on for 6 hours due to a rain delay, followed by sitting on a plane for a few hours, arriving in Boston at 6 AM and have to play another game at 7 PM.  That can't be good.

That having been said - the entire team needs to learn how stretch.  I'd hire a yoga instructor to work with the guys every day. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players:
    [QUOTE]Stress fractures are extremely hard to diagnos.  Besides, the diagnosis had no impact because by the time he had the stress fracture, he wasn't pitching. The reason the team has broken down is because of how they played in June and July.  They were phenomenal during those 2 months, winning at an unheard of .700 clip.  When playing at such a high level, it's easy to overlook fatigue and minor injuries because you're in the zone.  But it finally caught up with them. We've all been there - having a great time so we go way past our limit.  Don't really feel it until the next day when we can't move.  In the case of the Sox, it took 2 months for it to catch up with them. Plus, the schedule was very tough - 2 game road series, extra inning games and rain delays.  In those situations, it hard for the guys to get the rest they need and to get the treatment for the minor injuries.  It can't be good on a bad back to play off and on for 6 hours due to a rain delay, followed by sitting on a plane for a few hours, arriving in Boston at 6 AM and have to play another game at 7 PM.  That can't be good. That having been said - the entire team needs to learn how stretch.  I'd hire a yoga instructor to work with the guys every day. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Congrats....you get the bootlicking award of the century! You are actually arguing that the Sox's injuries stem not from poor conditioning or even bad luck but from overexerting themselves while on a hot streak? I guess this September swoon is good news because we are "resting" by losing. Maybe this is why April was so bad for us...Francona was "resting" us by going 2-10! Honestly, how much did you laugh when posting this? How much did you get paid for this nonsense?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

If the Sox are losing in the 7th, Tito should get himself tossed in a outrageous tirade kind of way.  Show a little fire is all I'm asking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Best.Team.Evah. Show Best.Team.Evah's posts

[QUOTE]On NESN , Remy and Orsillo are a joke. I'm sure Sox management and players don't like to hear it , but I say " Kudos to Abraham."                       Orsillo is the worst television baseball announcer I've ever had to suffer through. Aside from being obnoxiously loud, the man never stops talking on what is a video focus with the need for more audio on the field for the sounds of the game. Unlike golf, baseball is still in the stone age for audio-visual sports production. The two of them are like a couple of delinquent frat boys. Remy always sounds and looks like he doesn't want to be there, which is probably due to his unfortunate health history.  Of course, the two are never going to utter a word of criticism to the favorite members on the stage.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

Turn the sound down and put on Castiglione.    A much more enjoyable experience, even with the time delay.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Outstanding Stand Up article by Peter. I agree with everything he is saying and love the challenge he makes to the players. It is what a lot of us have been saying all season, and more of us recently (me included). The Red Sox need to make some very significant changes prior to next year and Man Up starting tonight and extend it deep into October or accept dire consequences.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff The Red Sox won 89 games last season and that was probably a few more than they should have. They didn't have Jacoby Ellsbury all year. They didn't have   Dustin Pedroia for three months. They didn't have   Kevin Youkilis for two months. They had a terrible bullpen. But they wrung 89 victories out of what they had. There were probably a dozen times Terry Francona remarked how much he liked that team and how determined they were. That's what makes this season so confounding. The Sox were 81-42 from April 16 to Sept. 1. That's 123 games, 76 percent of the season. Playing .658 baseball for four and a half months is pretty amazing. So what explains the 2-10 start and the 3-11 funk they're in now? As of Sept. 1, the Red Sox were on a pace to finish with 99 wins. They had four legit MVP candidates, two All-Star starters and a closer having a lock-down season. If you expected better than that, you were unrealistic.   Carl Crawford was part of that team and so was Lackey . So were   Matt Albers ,   Daniel Bard and all the other guys who are playing so poorly now. But something happened when the calendar flipped to September. Injuries are part of it, but injuries don't explain going 3-11. The roster is better than 3-11. The Sox aren't just losing, they're playing poorly and playing without much passion. Missed cut-off men, poor base-running and situational hitting, a lack of attention to detail. That's on Terry Francona and the coaches. They also failed to build starter depth. The Red Sox have a well-funded and comprehensive player development system and the only starter they were able to spit out of their vaunted machine for 2011 was   Kyle Weiland ? How is that possible? That's on Theo Epstein and his staff. Injuries are again an issue. Clay Buchholz had a stress fracture that took weeks to diagnose. Kevin Youkilis has broken down, perhaps to the point where he shouldn't play.   Jed Lowrie played with a bum shoulder for several weeks, was shut down, and now he's playing with a bum shoulder again. He is hitting .185/.234/.246 since June 1. What is the point of his being in uniform? That's on the medical staff. There also is too much of a "everything will be fine" attitude. It took being 2-10 for the Sox to wake up in April and realize that other teams weren't going to lay down. Now they're 3-11 and running out of time to change it. That's on the players. Perhaps its time to play baseball instead of playing with your iPads. This isn't about making the playoffs. This is about deserving to make the playoffs and being ready to play once you get there. One of two things can happen. The Sox will continue this slide and go down in baseball history as underachievers who weren't much interested in being great. Or they will remember what made them so good for so long and make what is remaining of this season theirs. The Sox were a wonderful team for 123 games. How about for 13 more? That doesn't seem like too much to ask.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

i wrote this exact thing about 4 weeks ago...i swear this forum is much more informative and timely than the beat writers "reporting" (who seem to be in bed with ownership)...their lack of analysis and excuse-making for our team strains whatever credibility they have...and those people who defend our team/manager on this board (Like harness, roy, and moon) do a much better job of explaining their support than any of these journalists

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dollkuhn. Show dollkuhn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beatwriter, Mr.Peter Abraham goes on attack:targets- Francona and the coaches/Epstein and his staff/medical staff/players : Congrats....you get the bootlicking award of the century! You are actually arguing that the Sox's injuries stem not from poor conditioning or even bad luck but from overexerting themselves while on a hot streak? I guess this September swoon is good news because we are "resting" by losing. Maybe this is why April was so bad for us...Francona was "resting" us by going 2-10! Honestly, how much did you laugh when posting this? How much did you get paid for this nonsense?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Not as much as the team gets paid millions and millions for playing a FULL season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]Stress fractures are extremely hard to diagnos.  Besides, the diagnosis had no impact because by the time he had the stress fracture, he wasn't pitching. The reason the team has broken down is because of how they played in June and July.  They were phenomenal during those 2 months, winning at an unheard of .700 clip.  When playing at such a high level, it's easy to overlook fatigue and minor injuries because you're in the zone.  But it finally caught up with them. We've all been there - having a great time so we go way past our limit.  Don't really feel it until the next day when we can't move.  In the case of the Sox, it took 2 months for it to catch up with them. Plus, the schedule was very tough - 2 game road series, extra inning games and rain delays.  In those situations, it hard for the guys to get the rest they need and to get the treatment for the minor injuries.  It can't be good on a bad back to play off and on for 6 hours due to a rain delay, followed by sitting on a plane for a few hours, arriving in Boston at 6 AM and have to play another game at 7 PM.  That can't be good. That having been said - the entire team needs to learn how stretch.  I'd hire a yoga instructor to work with the guys every day. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Very excellent post.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Abraham should writer for the ENQUIRER.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

"So what explains the 2-10 start and the 3-11 funk they're in now?"
    Managing! Bad managing!!!! Tito is a hero when during the 82-40 stretch and they pounded their competition into submission. All of his pi** poor pitching changes and his great game by game moves are all covered up. Only when they are NOT pounding anyone into submission does each and every stupid move and his unbelievable habit of throwing the same stiff in (Matt Albers) game after game come to rise to the top. Oh yes, Theo deserves a big kick in the butt for his incredibly mind boggling poor free agent signings, his lack of any bench or bull pen depth, his complete, an di mean complete lack of any quality AAA pitcher. On and on and on..............

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Abraham should writer for the ENQUIRER.

You are a bad writer for the NYT.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

You are a banned writer for BDC.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

HE IS ABSOLUTELY 100% RIGHT!

OK........   Maybe 98%, but who's counting?