Bedard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bedard

Could be key.  A month ago, I would have said no way, but in August only Lester was clearly better than Bedard, who clearly pitched better than Lackey, Wakefield, and Miller.  Beckett pitched more innings (hardly a surprise) and had a better WHIP in August, but Bedard had a lower ERA.

The Sox bullpen is what it is, about average, maybe a little above.  The hitting is also what it is--definitely above average.  The fielding, ditto, although the left side is clearly below average. 

I think the big variable is the starting pitching.  Beckett started the season great, but seems to be giving up more runs lately.  Lester's ERA keeps coming down, but he struggles with control, long innings, and difficulty (compared to last year) getting to the 7th inning.  Lackey has improved, but is I think below the 3d starter standard (whatever that is).  Wakefield had 6 shots at his 200th win and couldn't do it, mostly because he was hittable.  Miller is simply erratic.  fireballer started that thread predicting--hoping, actually--that Miller was finally a viable starter, and then last night happened.

Bedard, on the other hand, has been looking pretty darn good for a guy who came off the DL right before joining the Sox.  More to the point, the Sox really need a good starter right now, given all my scurrilous comments above. 

So here's hoping Bedard gets his first win today and takes his place as the Sox third starter. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Bedard

I hope we support him with a few runs!  And a win, of course.  He has pitched well since coming here and we haven't given him squat in return.

I think you are spot on.  He will make a big difference.  I hope we are able to keep him past being a rental.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard:
    [QUOTE]I hope we support him with a few runs!  And a win, of course.  He has pitched well since coming here and we haven't given him squat in return. I think you are spot on.  He will make a big difference.  I hope we are able to keep him past being a rental.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

greetings yaz

I like bedard a lot and think he can be a difference maker in the PS

but still he's a heck of a health risk after that

then again that's what every said about AJ when we signed him

and now  most , not me , yankee fans

have been praying 4 him to get hurt for 2 yrs now

BTW did anyone ask you anything at work this morning ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I hope we support him with a few runs!  And a win, of course.  He has pitched well since coming here and we haven't given him squat in return. I think you are spot on.  He will make a big difference.  I hope we are able to keep him past being a rental.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about the Red Sox scoring runs when Bedard pitches.  Hopefully, today will be a different offensive contribution from the Red Sox.  If he is decent for the remainder of the season, the Red Sox may try to resign him.  Not sure when Dice-K will be back next season, but I would imagine that we will need a replacement for Dice-K next season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Lets hope noone boots another grounder and forces Bedard to have to throw an extra 20 pitches in the first inning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Jed the butcher Lowrie is now being force fed back in the lineup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Jed can hit, but this year he is pretty close to a butcher out there.j

Bedard took another step forward today.  Could be the third starter in the postseason. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

max,

At least the offense supported him today.  :o)

It was nice to see.  I always like it when the O gets going, but Bedard could have started to think he was snake bit.

He didn't let the defense fluster him, either.  Can't say that about what it does to some.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Also, Gerry Callahan does not like Erik Bedard.  That alone endears me to the Canadian southpaw.

Extend this man, Theo.  If nothing else, it will bother Callahan endlessly...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Notin, UR humah is priceless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard : greetings yaz I like bedard a lot and think he can be a difference maker in the PS but still he's a heck of a health risk after that then again that's what every said about AJ when we signed him and now  most , not me , yankee fans   have been praying 4 him to get hurt for 2 yrs now BTW did anyone ask you anything at work this morning ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac32

Hiya Zac!

I tried to respond a few hours ago but the page wouldn't respond.  I think it's funny when that runner across the top tells you is sin't responding.  Like, "No, I couldn't figure that out when it's frozen...."

Well, enough whining about that.  Let me choose another subject to whine about.

Oh, no, this was being supportive about Bedard, wasn't it?

In the last effort I posted   "Lackey/BJ - oy!"

But then Lackey turned his season around and BJ strapped us down ...."

I heard your manager get fried with the media when they tried to make up a conflict between he and BJ.  (Not after Sox game but one where he hardly made it out of 1 inning...) He sure put them in their places.  Or tried.  Girardi still seems to have a great deal of trust in BJ.  (Or so he says, and I'm not about to call him a liar.)

Bedard has what, four or five starts left?  We need to get a W in each one.  SO far, he's done his part.

BTW ... someone did speak to me as I left work.  A guy in a red pick up.  Regular customer ... know him?

Or ... are you speaking momre metaphorically about the same someone I ask to help me with the donuts each night?  :OD

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Bedard : Hiya Zac!   I tried to respond a few hours ago but the page wouldn't respond.  I think it's funny when that runner across the top tells you is sin't responding.  Like, "No, I couldn't figure that out when it's frozen...."   Well, enough whining about that.  Let me choose another subject to whine about.   Oh, no, this was being supportive about Bedard, wasn't it?   In the last effort I posted   "Lackey/BJ - oy!"     But then Lackey turned his season around and BJ strapped us down ...."   I heard your manager get fried with the media when they tried to make up a conflict between he and BJ.  (Not after Sox game but one where he hardly made it out of 1 inning...) He sure put them in their places.  Or tried.  Girardi still seems to have a great deal of trust in BJ.  (Or so he says, and I'm not about to call him a liar.)     Bedard has what, four or five starts left?  We need to get a W in each one.  SO far, he's done his part.     BTW ... someone did speak to me as I left work.  A guy in a red pick up.  Regular customer ... know him?     Or ... are you speaking momre metaphorically about the same someone I ask to help me with the donuts each night?  :OD
    Posted by SinceYaz

greetings yaz

I was refering to those guys at work that you  kept posting about a couple

of weeks  ago...................U remember

the ones that WEREN'T asking you who was in 1st anymore ;-)

BTW- I enjoy BJ's as much or more than anyone but his name is AJ

oh you knew that didn't you

SWT

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bedard : greetings yaz I was refering to those guys at work that you  kept posting about a couple   of weeks  ago...................U remember   the ones that WEREN'T asking you who was in 1st anymore ;-) BTW- I enjoy BJ's as much or more than anyone but his name is AJ oh you knew that didn't you SWT
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Ha! Some typos are more ... interesting than others.

Those guys at work ... ahhh... they haven't spoken to me for  month now.  That job, for almost everyone right now, is on hiatus.  The building had been refitted so many times in the last 40 years that it had become cost ineffective to keep using the way it was.  SO ... they tore it down and are rebuidling with state of the art stuff plus adapability built in for future renovations,  The old roof was leaking, the AC was croaking, the basement (and thus dry stock), was catching a lot of water, wiring had been maex out ... if I don't have another gig by then, we should be back in business just in time for those friends to either celebrate the Yanquis success or enjoy watching me enjoy the Red Sox success.  Sorry I was so dense.  :oD  

15. This post has been removed.