Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M

Guess we are not getting a closer from outside

I thought Bell had the best chance to close games for the Sox next season IF Ben goes out and sign one.  There are few big name closers out there who will be available either signing as a FA or via trade. 

Names floating around:

Cordero, Street, Madson, Bailey, K-Rod

Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M

Bard is the 2012 closer. Time to think of quality set up guys, 4th and 5th starters, and maybe a DH, RF'er. After that, a 6/7th starter, RH'd RF'er and a quality defensive catcher would be nice luxury.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

This may be a stupid question but wasn't Bobby Jenks signed for two years and wasn't he a pretty decent closer at one point?  Is he going to be back and able to pitch this year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Jenks can come back to his old form in the spring training, he can be that setup guy and Bard closes the game. 
    I think Joel Zumaya can be good addition to our BP.  I know he has injury issue but when he's healthy, he can be as effective as Bard in the late innings notching high 90s fastball. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

To any Marlin fans:

For whom the Bell toils,
    he toils for thee

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquachuck. Show aquachuck's posts

In Response to Re: Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M:
    [QUOTE]If Jenks can come back to his old form in the spring training, he can be that setup guy and Bard closes the game.  I think Joel Zumaya can be good addition to our BP.  I know he has injury issue but when he's healthy, he can be as effective as Bard in the late innings notching high 90s fastball. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I seem to recall seeing Zumaya hit 101mph on several occasions, his delivery though always looked liked it took a heavy toll on his body & maybe that's why he's been so prone to injury but I agree that he'd be a good addition for the right price.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Good.  Glad Sox didn't sign Bell.  Had a terrible feeling about him in the AL Beast.  Just a hunch, but I think he would have gotten blown up out here.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Andrew Bailey will cost prospect the Sox don't have to give up.

Huston Street will also cost prospects.

Madson and K-Rod will cost nearly Papelbon king of money.

Cordero might be affordable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Andrew Bailey will cost prospect the Sox don't have to give up. Huston Street will also cost prospects. Madson and K-Rod will cost nearly Papelbon king of money. Cordero might be affordable.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

You may be right on Cordero. K-Rod is just another head case. We don't need anymore of those. Too bad Bell is gone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I was hoping Bard would move to rotation next season but I guess it's not happening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Frank Franciso could be a set up to Bard. He has a tendancy to empode at times, but solid.

Cordero looks like the next best guy, but 36! His 4.1 walk rate per 9-not good.

Houston Street is a nice fitness pitcher who has high baseball i.q. in setting up hitters. He fastball is @ 92. He is good against getting lefties out. Rockies want a good bat or two for him as set up guy Betancourt ready to step in. He reminds me of Keith Foulke type.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Frank Franciso could be a set up to Bard. He has a tendancy to empode at times, but solid. Cordero looks like the next best guy, but 36! His 4.1 walk rate per 9-not good. Houston Street is a nice fitness pitcher who has high baseball i.q. in setting up hitters. He fastball is @ 92. He is good against getting lefties out. Rockies want a good bat or two for him as set up guy Betancourt ready to step in. He reminds me of Keith Foulke type.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

i like any of these guys setting up for Bard.

Rumor has it that some guy named Bobby jenks is fully healthy too.  Yeaaah.  I'll believe that when I see him minus the Body By Burger King.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Money seems a little short for Bell, given what other closers have recently fetched, maybe because Heath is a little older.

I don't mind that the sox didn't land this guy, partially because of his age but also if you're not gonna pay Paps, don't pay someone else.

Agree that Bard is going to be the 2012 9th inning guy, the key now is finding the 8th inning guy(s).  I think you can put zero faith that Jenks contributes anything in 2012.  Assume a 2011 repeat and consider anything better a bonus.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M:
    [QUOTE]Guess we are not getting a closer from outside I thought Bell had the best chance to close games for the Sox next season IF Ben goes out and sign one.  There are few big name closers out there who will be available either signing as a FA or via trade.  Names floating around: Cordero, Street, Madson, Bailey, K-Rod Your thoughts?

Well, I would stay away from everyone cuz their asking price is way too high especially Paps/Bell.  Bell is 34 years old going to be 35 years old next year.  And he is already going to be paid 9 plus million dollars a year at age 35, 36 and 37!! He is no Mo Riveria!!

Plus Bard is more likely will have a similar stats as K-Rod, Cordero, Street, Madson, etc if he come to Boston to be a closer.  Why bother to shred away 9mm a year for one of this guy where we all do not know if he can do the job or not.

Boston can use 9mm to get a couple decent starting pitchers like Edwin Jackson, Maholm, etc.  Or get Berhrle along with a healthy reliever!!!   

Use 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Who needs a closer when we have an unproven one in Bard, and a washed up one in Jenks?
    The RS probably weren't comfortable committing to Bell either. If they want Bard to be the closer, they just need to say that.
    Frankly, I would like to see Aardsma come back and close for the Sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

As much as I hope he is successful going forward, I did not trust Bell, given SD's track record with RPs.

I don't know if it's due to the coaching, the ballpark, the water, coincidence, or just an ability to tell with a RP will peak and/or drop off, but for the past decade SD has a history of bringing in mediocre pitching talents, having them turn into effective setup men, and then letting them go (at which point said pitchers turn into pumpkins).

Some names:
    -Scott Linebrink
    -Rudy Seanez
    -Alan Embree (twice...in 2002 before being dealt to the Red Sox, and in 2006 after three years of mediocrity)
    -Cla Meredith
    -Doug Brocail

Interestingly, a number of those pitchers have Red Sox connections...so I've had my fill of these kinds of guys. I'd like to think that Bell will be the exception (especially given that SD appeared to actually want him back, and he just proved to be unaffordable), but I have to be suspicious of him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Who needs a closer when we have an unproven one in Bard, and a washed up one in Jenks? The RS probably weren't comfortable committing to Bell either. If they want Bard to be the closer, they just need to say that. Frankly, I would like to see Aardsma come back and close for the Sox.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Why do they need to say anything?  I think their actions are speaking louder than words, no?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Bell value ended at 1 year. Marlins will try and dump him for a prospect, to avoid paying more than half this deal. Maybe Theo will offer David Murphy, when that time comes. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would like to see Ben bringing in Joel Zumaya and Mike Gonzalez.  Two relievers will be sharing setting-up roles if Bard becomes our new closer.  Bobby Jenks, if healthy, can be the middle inning guy with Morales.

I hope our pitching staff would look something like
    Lester, Beckett, Oswalt (FA signing), Bucholz,
    Alfredo Aceves moves into the rotation as #5 starter
    Kyle Weiland as #6, spot start, or long relief (Wake's role)
    Felix Doubront as long relief
    Bobby Jenks, Franklin Morales, Mike Gonzalez, Joel Zumaya
    Bard as closer

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

if im ben cherington there is one guy i would go after and he is not a free agent. i would not mind if the sox signed fracisco rodriguez but i hope they stay away from madson etc. (though madson would be a good set up man) Bard should not be the closer for 2012. he cant even handle the pressure of the set up role. he blew many saves and took many losses last year and needs to stay as a set up man. The guy the sox need to get is andrew bailey. he is by far the best option at this point. oakland is motivated to move him and i dont think the cost would be that high. maybe the sox can pull of a deal for both bailey and gio gonzalez. kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. Bailey is young (27) and has been dominant. He is the guy who could be our closer for many years to come. Get bailey. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

redsoxpride34 - Andrew Bailey is an interesting player - he has three years of arb - so when you say Oakland is motivated, not sure if that is the case, but A's dont like speading money via the arb process.

Texas was interested in Bailey, and I guess Beane, being Beane wanted too much. He throws a beautiful cutter to go with his fast ball and decent curve, that comes in @78mph. Pardes and Mets could be in the mix.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M:
    [QUOTE]Guess we are not getting a closer from outside I thought Bell had the best chance to close games for the Sox next season IF Ben goes out and sign one.  There are few big name closers out there who will be available either signing as a FA or via trade.  Names floating around: Cordero, Street, Madson, Bailey, K-Rod Your thoughts?

Yes....Fly ball Bell .Just what Fenway park needed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Bell agreed to sign with Marlins 3 yrs 27 M :  Yes....Fly ball Bell .Just what Fenway park needed.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
    Heath Bell, unlike Jonathan Papelbon, is NOT a fly-ball pitcher:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2080&position=P#battedball

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5975&position=P#battedball

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Bell for 3/27 is about what I think the Sox should have paid.  That would have been a good deal, IMO.

I like the idea of Aardsma, Cordero, and Zumaya (if he'll sign an incentive laden deal).  Lots of potential there, along with Jenks and Morales, and Hill/Doubront/Bowden and Weiland.  Might even allow Bard AND Aceves to move to the rotation (as I think at least one of them should).

But I just have this feeling that the Sox are going to sign Madson for a year less and about 10-15 million less than Papelbon, thus trading pitchers, but saving money.  Just my hunch at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

parhunter i would have to strongly disagree with you  on aardsma and cordero. aardmas has already bombed on the sox once, no need to have him do it again. cordero is old and is past his prime. Zumaya i would take a shot on, as he is pretty good when healthy and he brings the heat. No way bard and aceves move to the rotation, they are much more valuable in the pen. I really hope the sox do not sign madson. He has been a closer for one year and he is what 30 or 31? he is a set up man who was forced to close because lidge got hurt. Andrew bailey is by far the best option the sox have. If they do decide to go the fa route then k rod is the way to go. Huston street would be a decent trade option but not as good as bailey.