Ben Cherington named the 2013 Executive of the Year by The Sporting News.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Ben Cherington named the 2013 Executive of the Year by The Sporting News.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 6m

Ben Cherington was named the 2013 Executive of the Year by The Sporting News.

Well deserved

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Ben Cherington named the 2013 Executive of the Year by The Sporting News.

To the victors go the spoils. I think Farrell is a sure thing for manager of the year.  We don't really have an MVP or Cy Young candidate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

softy the clown is gonna go ballistic!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

BC winning the award?  About as surprising as another Softlaw banning and reappearance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Could this have BEN more obvious?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"softy the clown is gonna go ballistic!"

Yeah why didn't someone fire Cherry and listen to softy, what a bunch of ridiculous signings, this team didn't amount to anything...

oh, wait. 

It did. 

Congrats to Ben on a fine job of building a terrific TEAM without mortgaging the future. 

The most debated move will be the Iggy trade, which gets especially tricky given that Iggy had a couple errors/bad plays that were crucial to us advancing. 

We'll be talking about the merits of that trade for years to come. 

That said just about everything else Ben did isn't even debatable, he hit on just about everything he signed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No surprise and well deserved.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Well Done and Well Deserved!

When he was first promoted to the position I waxed that the job should have been given to new, outside blood.

I am thrilled with what he has accomplished and now consider myself a believer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Congratualtions to Ben!

Obviously, what he accomplished during the last off-season was the most important key to winning the 2013 World Series.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAD & BILL-806 saw this coming ........   Ben consulted with us many times and is an avid reader of our posts/threads !!!      Good job, BEN  !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DAD & BILL-806 saw this coming ........   Ben consulted with us many times and is an avid reader of our posts/threads !!!      Good job, BEN  !!!

[/QUOTE]B I N G O, THAT  !!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i said he had the reverse Midas touch in 2012...this year he totally struck gold....for the record I was a big Iggy fan but I thought the Peavy trade not only was a good on the field move, but it also signaled a seriousness to the team about this year's chances of winning it all. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Congratulations on doing your job general maneger ben. 175 million big labor budget should be executive of the year every year ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i said he had the reverse Midas touch in 2012...this year he totally struck gold....for the record I was a big Iggy fan but I thought the Peavy trade not only was a good on the field move, but it also signaled a seriousness to the team about this year's chances of winning it all. 

[/QUOTE]

I disagreed at the time.  Ben had virtually no budget to do anything in the winter before the 2012 season.  

What bad moves do you think he made pre-2012, Geo?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

for the record I was a big Iggy fan but I thought the Peavy trade not only was a good on the field move, but it also signaled a seriousness to the team about this year's chances of winning it all. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

This move showed the team that the FO was fully committed to them winning it all this year.  A great vote of confidence to them.

As I just posted in another thread, I think the championship this year makes the Iglesias trade worth it, regardless of what Iggy does in the future.  I was in favor of this trade from start, but winning the WS puts an end to the debate, IMO.

Congrats Ben!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cody Ross  did not work out?

The budget was pretty tight....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Still hate the Iglesias/Peavy trade, Ben was a no-braine for this award.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Slam dunk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The AGon trade didn't even count towards 2013.

IMO, the team became "his team" when that trade was made. He didn't want Valantine.

The strange part about his record after the big Dodger trade is that on paper stat wise and individually, one could argue it doesn't look all that great, particularly the biggest deals. 

Papi resigning: brilliant and maybe a year too short not too long as many felt!

Victorino was injured a lot has had better years on paper

Dempster was not a good signing on paper

Pedey extension was good on paper

Napoli was a good signing did not repeat his 2011 season and was inconsistent

Drew was hurt but fielded better than expected: good but maybe not great

Gomes did not perform as expected vs LHPs

Uehara was brilliant

Ross was out a long time this year

Carp deal was a steal

Breslow extension was good

Aviles for Farrell was brilliant

Hanrahan trade was a total bust

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The strange part about his record after the big Dodger trade is that on paper stat wise and individually, one could argue it doesn't look all that great, particularly the biggest deals. 

Victorino was injured a lot has had better years on paper

Napoli was a good signing did not repeat his 2011 season and was inconsistent

Drew was hurt but fielded better than expected: good but maybe not great

[/QUOTE]

Victorino 5.6 WAR - T1 for best of career

Napoli 3.9 WAR - 2nd best of career

Drew 3.4 WAR - 2nd best of career

Looks like FanGraphs WAR calculations are pretty meaningful after all - they confirm that Victorino, Naps & Drew all had big plus seasons. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bump

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well Done and Well Deserved!

When he was first promoted to the position I waxed that the job should have been given to new, outside blood.

I am thrilled with what he has accomplished and now consider myself a believer.

[/QUOTE]

So, of all the off-season critics, you're the only that will even admit it?