Ben is trying to get Gonzalez and Bailey in a "monster deal"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Ben is trying to get Gonzalez and Bailey in a "monster deal"

Monster deal....that isnt looking good cuz Middlebrook, Larvanway and Raouhon could be all gone!!!

Dont do it!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Man.. Even though I'm not 100% comfortable with bringing in both and giving up probably 5-6 players including our top prospects, I'm liking our new GM.  He certainly knows how to run the city of Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

lets hope ben gets it done. that would be a great christmas present for red sox nation

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Ben is trying to get Gonzalez and Bailey in a "monster deal":
    [QUOTE]Man.. Even though I'm not 100% comfortable with bringing in both and giving up probably 5-6 players including our top prospects, I'm liking our new GM.  He certainly knows how to run the city of Boston.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

It's only a report. He hasn't done anything yet. Oh yeah, Nick Punto and Melancon.  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Ben is trying to get Gonzalez and Bailey in a "monster deal":
    [QUOTE]Monster deal....that isnt looking good cuz Middlebrook, Larvanway and Raouhon could be all gone!!! Dont do it!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Agree if all those young prospects are in the deal.  But Beane might want one or two veterans to be A's mentor.  I'll be more than happy if Youk and Salty replace Middlebooks and Lava

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Don't do it, keep the kids.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

so much for the monster deal. gio is going to washington. nice work ben.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]so much for the monster deal. gio is going to washington. nice work ben.
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Nice work Ben, the best deals are often the ones that you don't make.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

There is other news that Boston can still add Bailey after Gio talk dies down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

MONSTER ?????????   DOES THAT MEAN LUCCIANO's WILL BE GOING ???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

The RS dont have enough prospects to match up on a deal like that.  Here is what it may take:

RS get Gio Gonzalez and Andrew Bailey

Oak gets Jose Iglesias, Anthony Raunado, Ryan Kalish, Felix Dubront, Will Middlebrooks, and Lars Anderson

That is a lot to give up but that is how much it would take I dont think they will take any less nor should they.

I would not do the deal unless they are really going for it this year.  Those two pieces fill major holes, but once this team gets older, there will be very little to step up and fill those gaps four or five years down the road.

Great short term but awful long term, I just dont see it happening.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Its all over so its not worth talking about, good thought, but congrats to the Nats if that goes through, what a strong rotation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Enough mistakes! Don't do it. Gonzalez isn't worth it. His earned run average away from pitcher friendly Oakland is a run higher.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

We need to build the minors up, not empty them out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The NL East will be as fun to watch as the AL East and the AL West. Actually the NL central may include a winner that has less than a .500 percentage.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Why deal for Bailey when they best option you have is already on your roster, under control and affordable?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Oakland was the huge winner. Moneyball played to perfection.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

damn, they got a ton of great prospects for a guy who historically is a mid- pitcher away from Oakland. Oh well, sometimes its the trades you don't make that count (A-Rod anyone?). Maybe Ben can still add Bailey, but honestly I would look elsewhere and just try to add as much bullpen depth as you possibly can.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ben is trying to get Gonzalez and Bailey in a "monster deal":
    [QUOTE]@Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal Sources: # RedSox trying to get G. Gonzalez, Bailey in "monster" deal. # Rangers , # Rays also on Bailey. # Nationals team to beat on Gio. # MLB 13 minutes ago via Twitter for Mac
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

The Sox are probably throwing crumbs at opposing GMs in hopes they bite.  I wouldn't believe anything we hear at this point about trying to swing a big deal for a starter.  All available starters and relievers are slowly being signed by others who are obviously making more serious offers.

I hope they find more pitching help somewhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya but keep in mind this is the red sox not some low budget team. even if the sox made a deal like that, they would still have prospects in the system who could fill in down the road. the fact of the matter is that the sox just lost there best remain pitching option and now do not really have any good ones left.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Sox is loaded with prospects and money. Me don't understand dis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]ya but keep in mind this is the red sox not some low budget team. even if the sox made a deal like that, they would still have prospects in the system who could fill in down the road. the fact of the matter is that the sox just lost there best remain pitching option and now do not really have any good ones left.  
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

That's debatable.  Over the past two years, Floyd, Jckson, and Oswalt all have higher WARs.  Gio has gotten shelled by the RS, NYY, and TB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya well i think at this point oswalt is our best option on a 1 year deal. there could be some big name pitchers hitting the fa market next year so signing roy to 1 year deal makes sense. then we would have dice k and roy coming off the books after this year and we could use the money from those two to sign someone good. The sox should trade for bailey, sign oswalt, and then either trade for carlos quentn or sign yoenis cespedes to play right field. I would also like to see the sox sign mike gonzalez for the pen as we need a good lefty. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I would say that the Nats deal was sweeter than a RS comp of Ranaudo, Switek and Wilson. Cole is a stud. I think Ranaudo will be, but many are not yet sold. I do think in 2013 both Cole and Ranaudo are superior to Gio, even with Gio in the AAAA league. Gio is madding ly wild, to the point of Dicek-ish. Lots of base on balls, will give up a ton of HR's in Wash (and Fenway) I do like Switek, but he is young and has a long ways to go. For me Wilson is behind Ranaudo, Barnes and even Briton in ceiling, but Wilson is closer to getting a shot. Bottom line, Cherington will get criticized, but why settle for mediocrity when the future is much more prime time. Save the $$$ and the prospects