Ben spot on Salty/Shop not Lava until team control saved, now trade Salty at peak value pre deadline!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Ben spot on Salty/Shop not Lava until team control saved, now trade Salty at peak value pre deadline!

Salty is hard to watch with his long swing, and consequent all our nothing approach, but the power numbers are there.  In 2011 he had the most XBH / PA (42/ 386) of all MLB catchers, and he is doing it again (13 / 93) with the top ratio again.

I think it is mea culpa time for those who called for Lava instead of the Salty/Shop tandem to start the season before the Lava team control date .  So far Lava has a .742, Shop .838, and Salty at .813 is 6th at C in MLB.

Of course, Salty has problems behind the plate and Lava can't be much worse.  Lava is the better long term gamble, with his plate approach and Salty's BB% has gone down every year from 2008 to now.

The splits work for a Lava / Salty tandem, but I think Salty has more value as trade bait while he is 6th in OPS in MLB (coming off .737 in 2011 (MLB avg .700)). While hopes are high that Lava will only need a part-time back-up for years to come.

IMO, great trade by Theo for Salty.  Chris McGuinnes 24yo < .800 OPS 1B in AA, and Ramon Mendez is a long shot 21 yo pitcher in A+.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Ben spot on Salty/Shop not Lava until team control saved, now trade Salty at peak value pre deadline!

Evidence is mounting Salty not so bad behind the plate either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Ben spot on Salty/Shop not Lava until team control saved, now trade Salty at peak value pre deadline!

It is more likely that no one is trade until this team start again another losing streak.

Right now they are playing well, why they need to break up the team?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Salty is improving behind the plate and more importantly with the pitchers.

I was one of those who said we should trade Salty, but I wasn't for giving him away. I'll reserve my "mea culpa" until later. 

(As for now, I'd still rather have not signed Shoppach and traded Salty, Ranaudo, Anderson, and Coyle for Gavin Floyd. I'd have tried to find a defensive catcher who hits RH'd pitchers better than Shopp as our back-up to Lava. We'll see how that turns out.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Seems that in 1-2 years, there will be room for Salty to catch 130 games and Lavarnway to catch 30 games and DH 120 games. Catching too hard to come by to give Salty away. I think he has made defensive and offensive strides this year, and think he still has room to improve.
    Hard worker, will improve, low salary. 2-3 years down the road he could be a top 10 catcher imo.
    I have also seen Lavarnway 6 times this year. I dont think he is yet on Salty's last years level defensively. I still seriously question if he is a 130 game catcher in the big leagues at this time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Ben spot on Salty/Shop not Lava until team control saved, now trade Salty at peak value pre deadline!:
    [QUOTE]Seems that in 1-2 years, there will be room for Salty to catch 130 games and Lavarnway to catch 30 games and DH 120 games. Catching too hard to come by to give Salty away. I think he has made defensive and offensive strides this year, and think he still has room to improve. Hard worker, will improve, low salary. 2-3 years down the road he could be a top 10 catcher imo. I have also seen Lavarnway 6 times this year. I dont think he is yet on Salty's last years level defensively. I still seriously question if he is a 130 game catcher in the big leagues at this time.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Salty's a FA after 2013, so we are talking only 1 year not 1-2.

If papi walks, this plan is not a bad idea for 2013. Lava catches vs LHPs and DHs vs most RHPs. Salty catches vs RHPs, then hands the FT job to Lava in 2014... in theory.

Even if we keep Papi, we may be able to use Lava at DH for 10-15 games vs tough on Papi lefties. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Salty was a pretty smart acquisition and has grown into a very difficult job.  With Lavarnway in the wings, the Sox have the right cards and can turn down any offers that aren't favorable to the Sox. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Ben spot on Salty/Shop not Lava until team control saved, now trade Salty at peak value pre deadline!:
    [QUOTE]It is more likely that no one is trade until this team start again another losing streak. Right now they are playing well, why they need to break up the team?  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

"Sample Size" of 5 Games

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]Salty is improving behind the plate and more importantly with the pitchers. I was one of those who said we should trade Salty, but I wasn't for giving him away. I'll reserve my "mea culpa" until later.  (As for now, I'd still rather have not signed Shoppach and traded Salty, Ranaudo, Anderson, and Coyle for Gavin Floyd. I'd have tried to find a defensive catcher who hits RH'd pitchers better than Shopp as our back-up to Lava. We'll see how that turns out.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Not to play Hill55 on you Mr Moon, but I don't think that would land you Floyd last off-season.

Last 4 years Floyd:
    08   innings  206    WAR    2.5
    09               193               4.5
    10               187               4.3
    11               193               3.6

20th Best pitcher in MLB at 14.9 WAR, 16th best (09 to 11).
    2 years for $16.9m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Is anybody getting a little worried about Lavarnway?  His OBP is still very good, but he's shown very little power thus far this year.  Will it just come in bunches like last year, or is catching every day taking a toll on his legs?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

A thread on this? Peak value, on Salty? LMAO! Salty needs to be optioned to AAA and Lavarnway bean counting needs to take a back seat to trying to construct a team to win baseball games instead of scoring 1 run against mighty Tampa Bay and the great Rodney.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not to play Hill55 on you Mr Moon, but I don't think that would land you Floyd last off-season.

Last 4 years Floyd:
    08   innings  206    WAR    2.5
    09               193               4.5
    10               187               4.3
    11               193               3.6

20th Best pitcher in MLB at 14.9 WAR, 16th best (09 to 11).
    2 years for $16.9m

It's a starting point, and word was that the CWS were looking to cut salary.

Salty had more "trade value" when he was younger, but since he joined the Sox, his value has never been higher.

sorty may think he should be sent to AAA, but he has the 7th best OPS among the top 30 catchers in MLB this year at .813. For some reason, softy expects first base production from the catcher position.

Since softy doesn't believe in CERA, only looks at CS% and PBs, says it's all the offesne not pitching, and says he doesn't watch or need to watch the actual games, you'd think Salty's offense would impress the silly clown...

Want a larger sample size? 2011-2012 catchers with 450+ PAs:
    #12 in OPS
    #9 in Doubles
    #8 in HRs
    #12 in RBIs

I'd say there might be a few teams thinking Salty is better than what they have right now.

Here are some team catcher OPS from 2011 to 2012:

Houston  .545
    LAA        .565
    TBR        .601
    Minn       .617
    Sea        .639
    Oak        .620
    SF          .654
    SD          .657
    NYM       .666
    Cubs      .669

That's 10 teams with an OPS 100 points or more below Salty's during the same stretch.