Big Papi expects arbitration hearing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Big Papi expects arbitration hearing

David Ortiz doesn't expect to settle his 2012 salary short of an arbitration hearing, according to this report from WEEI's Rob Bradford:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21170486/ortiz-doesnt-seem-deal-will-get-done

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing

Doesn't surprise me.  He's had an inflated sense of self worth for the past couple years.  He doesn't understand that you work on a different payscale when you can't play the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing:
    [QUOTE]Doesn't surprise me.  He's had an inflated sense of self worth for the past couple years.  He doesn't understand that you work on a different payscale when you can't play the field.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Very true. In his defense though, he is the last dinosaur standing, so it must be a confusing time for the big fella.  There are no more DHs doing what Papi still does.  The whole model has shifted, but he is still doing, more or less, what he did, not so long ago, in the heyday of the monsta masha full-time DH.  And the Sox have made that even more difficult by sticking with him as a centerpiece of the offense.

Many people get on David for this inflated sense of self-worth.  But, I can kind of undestand it.  Between the change in role of the DH, and his age progression, I can undertsand Papi's palpable desparate cling to the past.  For the sake of his legacy as one of the great and most loved Sox heroes, I wish he wouldn't wear it on his sleeve as he has been.  but i certainly understand it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : Very true. In his defense though, he is the last dinosaur standing, so it must be a confusing time for the big fella.  There are no more DHs doing what Papi still does.  The whole model has shifted, but he is still doing, more or less, what he did, not so long ago, in the heyday of the monsta masha full-time DH.  And the Sox have made that even more difficult by sticking with him as a centerpiece of the offense. Many people get on David for this inflated sense of self-worth.  But, I can kind of undestand it.  Between the change in role of the DH, and his age progression, I can undertsand Papi's palpable desparate cling to the past.  For the sake of his legacy of one of the great and most loved Sox heroes, I wish he wouldn;t wear it on his sleeve as he has been.  but i certainly understand it.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

If not for the infinite wisdom of Bud and interleague play, the DH would still play a significant role by itself.
    Now that Bud has essentially put many aging players out of work, it's time just to eliminate the DH altogether
    . it was never a good idea to begin with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : If not for the infinite wisdom of Bud and interleague play, the DH would still play a significant role by itself. Now that Bud has essentially put many aging players out of work, it's time just to eliminate the DH altogether . it was never a good idea to begin with.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  As a person who grew up in the AL East of the 70s and 80s, the DH has been an integral part of my baseball experience, of course.  But, I can certainly envision immersing myself a more pure brand of baseball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : Agreed.  As a person who grew up in the AL East of the 70s and 80s, the DH has been an integral part of my baseball experience, of course.  But, I can certainly envision immersing myself a more pure brand of baseball.
    I thought so too, but when I watch a National League game and see them pitch around the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher - well that's not too enjoyable either ---
    the bottom quarter of the lineup is almost neutralized. It's not so much having the DH in there as it is not having an automatic out at the bottom of the lineup - that makes the American League model - to me - more enjoyable to watch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : If not for the infinite wisdom of Bud and interleague play, the DH would still play a significant role by itself. Now that Bud has essentially put many aging players out of work, it's time just to eliminate the DH altogether . it was never a good idea to begin with.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

So if it was never a good idea to begin with, why are you criticising Bud for compromising it?  That is not consistent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]According to a source, the slugger had previously been offered a two-year deal by the Sox, at $9 million season.
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

tee-hee yankme fan

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Personally I think Dh baseball is more entertaining baseball....it isnt the DH thats the problem its the a)inconsistenct between leagues and b) interleague play. As for Ortiz....I think he absolutely right to expect an Arb hearing....by putting out the ridiculous 16mm number(he has no comparables to base that on)..he has given the Sox an excellent chance of winning the ruling....plus though he wants a 2 year deal, bu using that number he makes it hard for the Sox to offer 2 years at say 20-22mm and expect him to accept it....because if he thinks he can win at 16mm he would basically be accepting a second year at 4 to6mm....that ties the Sox hand because I cant see them wanting to go more than that for two years. If they cant sign a two year deal with him then I think they have to go to Arb, because to settle in the middle at 14.5mm is going to be just as hard for the Sox to swallow.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Should never have offered him arb.  But....because the RS did, I think the process needs to play out.  His number is way to high IMO and hopefully the arbitrater will realize that.  Never a good position to have to be in this position but got to run with it as long as it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Should never have offered him arb.  But....because the RS did, I think the process needs to play out.  His number is way to high IMO and hopefully the arbitrater will realize that.  Never a good position to have to be in this position but got to run with it as long as it is.
    Posted by never1954[/QUOTE]

Arbitrators would have to go with the Sox' figure.  16 is ludicrous.  I am actually surprised that is the number the Ortiz camp thought was kosher to go to arbitration with.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from howzer. Show howzer's posts

I hate to say this, but in a way I hope it does go to arbitration.  It is my understanding that contracts stemming from arbitration aren't guaranteed.  Papi has set a price for himself that is far beyond the market for a DH, and limits the team's ability to improve in more needed areas.  With all due respect for all Papi has meant to the franchise, we all know how the Patriots would handle this.  They would cut Papi as soon as possible after arbitration, then use the money to address a bigger need -- starting pitching.  This would also enable the Sox to use the position to give Youk needed days off, get Lavarway's bat into the line-up with more Tuck grooming as a second catcher, and make us better in interleague play.  Hate to see Papi's time here end that way, but he seems to but pushing the Sox to make a logical Patriots-like decision, and he doesn't seem to understand that no team will pay him what the Sox have offered if he is cut.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Tough bat to replace in the lineup...but one that I will actually be glad to see disappear so they can DH some of the regulars and give them some rest without losing their bat. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

A neighbor down the street went to Papi's restaurant in Framingham.     He said the shakes are delicious and he's ready to take on a brutal snow storm with a shovel in hand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : I thought so too, but when I watch a National League game and see them pitch around the #8 hitter to get to the pitcher - well that's not too enjoyable either --- the bottom quarter of the lineup is almost neutralized. It's not so much having the DH in there as it is not having an automatic out at the bottom of the lineup - that makes the American League model - to me - more enjoyable to watch.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

I agree. Watching most pitchers bat is painful. Some rip DH's because they "can't" play the field. But Ortiz, for example, can play 1B a lot better than every pitcher can bat.

And the so-called strategy is so overrated. What strategy? A runner is on base, the pitcher is batting -- gee, I wonder what the pitcher is going to do? Hey, I know -- let's bunt. And the double-switch isn't exactly rocket science.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Tough bat to replace in the lineup...but one that I will actually be glad to see disappear so they can DH some of the regulars and give them some rest without losing their bat. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

The flip side of that is that whoever replaces Ortiz' spot in the lineup isn't likely going to put up Ortiz's numbers, whether he's playing the field or DH'ing. So IMO, you lose more than you gain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]For the sake of his legacy as one of the great and most loved Sox heroes, I wish he wouldn't wear it on his sleeve as he has been.  but i certainly understand it.

I agree. I am, however, willing to cut him a lot of slack considering what he has meant to the Sox the past decade and being key to 2 W.S. teams, especially for what he did in 2004 playoffs against the Yankees.

That's why it's disgusting the way some so-called fans write or talk about him. Yeah it's fine to be critical when it's warrented but not to the level some "fans" do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : Arbitrators would have to go with the Sox' figure.  16 is ludicrous.  I am actually surprised that is the number the Ortiz camp thought was kosher to go to arbitration with.

$16 mil is steep considering the market for DHs, but I'm leaning towards thinking the arbitrators would go with Ortiz' figure if it gets to that point.  He had a very good season last year, and my understanding is that the arbitrators also take long term contributions to the team into account.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't get to that point, because I can't see Ortiz coming out of it feeling good about how much the team thinks he's worth, even if he wins the case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]And the so-called strategy is so overrated. What strategy? A runner is on base, the pitcher is batting -- gee, I wonder what the pitcher is going to do? Hey, I know -- let's bunt. And the double-switch isn't exactly rocket science.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree.   There are many who believe that it is actually tougher to manage an AL game than an NL game.

But I always got a giggle out of folks who were concerned that Tito wouldn't know how to execute the double-switch during games played in NL parks.  As you said, it isn't exactly rocket science.  Give the man some credit.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : I agree.   There are many who believe that it is actually tougher to manage an AL game than an NL game. But I always got a giggle out of folks who were concerned that Tito wouldn't know how to execute the double-switch during games played in NL parks.  As you said, it isn't exactly rocket science.  Give the man some credit.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Thats the thing,  It is one thing to question moves or a certain approach.  But, when Bosox42 et al talk as if Francona was some kind of drueling moron, it just shows a fascinating but childish lack of understanding.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Team doesn't give him what he wants, goes to ARB and gets close to what he was asking - still enters Sprung Training feeling "disrespected."

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi expects arbitration hearing : That's why it's disgusting the way some so-called fans write or talk about him. same with some nyyfans ( ThatWasMe ) that were all over jeter last winter / year these guys / favorites  deserve to be treated differently the earned it
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Agree. Even guys like Tek, Wakefield for Boston and Posada for the Yankees. I wonder what will happen if Mariano suddenly loses it.