Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration

budget gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration

Budget's only gone if he wins it.  The silver lining to that submission is that it shouldn't be difficult to argue that a DH isn't worth $16M looking at the going rates for DH's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

NYY budget is also gone. Yankee fans were mad. Forced them to trade their best prospect. Yankee FO very concerned about the luxury tax.

I know, trolls don't understand this.

Is American Idol starting tonight or tomorrow?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

At least they'll get another good year, fingers crossed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration:
    [QUOTE]NYY budget is also gone. Yankee fans were mad. Forced them to trade their best prospect. Yankee FO very concerned about the luxury tax. I know, trolls don't understand this. Is American Idol starting tonight or tomorrow?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Jess...Pike just wrote that the Sox had to sign Papi because the Yanks would have....I think Pike might be pulling a Josh with the Longhorn tonite...

I though the Yanks traded for the pitchers because they needed pitching...Im not sure how that figured into the luxury tax argument....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

[QUOTE]Budget's only gone if he wins it.  The silver lining to that submission is that it shouldn't be difficult to argue that a DH isn't worth $16M looking at the going rates for DH's.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I really don't give a rat's rump about the budget, but he's going to get either what he wants (not likely) or more than the 12+ the Sox offered him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration:
    [QUOTE]budget gone.
    Posted by NegativeTrollsAbound[/QUOTE]
    Written like a negative troll.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

since arbitration is an either/or and not a negotiation Papi will get the $16 million not the $12.650 the sox offered. What are they thinking? With the year he had they barely offer him a raise and make his number the winning number.
    Its one thing to be cheap, it's an entirely different issue to be stupid.  the sox are really looking stupid now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Is there such a thing as a positive troll?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]since arbitration is an either/or and not a negotiation Papi will get the $16 million not the $12.650 the sox offered. What are they thinking? With the year he had they barely offer him a raise and make his number the winning number. Its one thing to be cheap, it's an entirely different issue to be stupid.  the sox are really looking stupid now.
    Posted by accland[/QUOTE]

acc--I'd say Ortiz is very lucky the Sox offered him arb or he'd be in Tampa, Balt, maybe Detroit for $6 plus incentives. 

If he listens to talk shows or he reads the Forum (I'm sure he does neither) he would be disappointed that many fans wish he had not been offered arb.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration : acc--I'd say Ortiz is very lucky the Sox offered him arb or he'd be in Tampa, Balt, maybe Detroit for $6 plus incentives.  If he listens to talk shows or he reads the Forum (I'm sure he does neither) he would be disappointed that many fans wish he had not been offered arb.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    All true but the facts are he will be on the team in 2012 and the sox just blew about $2 million by not offering him a realistic raise.  that $2 million is 1/4 of Oswalt signing.They are stupid!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

acc--he's not the only one then that's underappreciated--here's a list:

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

[QUOTE]acc--he's not the only one then that's underappreciated--here's a list: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/arbitration-filing-numbers.html
    I don't have the time or inclination to do the math, but was anyone else on that list offered a 1% raise?
    Yeah, they should not have offered him arbitration but without him Agon sets all kinds of BB records this year.
    You can also say they should not have gotten Agon last year and signed him as a FA this year and still have Casey Kelly and Rizzo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration : I don't have the time or inclination to do the math, but was anyone else on that list offered a 1% raise? Yeah, they should not have offered him arbitration but without him Agon sets all kinds of BB records this year. You can also say they should not have gotten Agon last year and signed him as a FA this year and still have Casey Kelly and Rizzo.

The list shows the % diff. between teams and players--Ortiz's was a 23 % raise.

AGon was a great pickup for PROSPECTS. If the Sox were willing to part with Ells we would have Pineda. If the Sox were willing to part with Ells, Lav, Middlebrooks and Ranaudo we could probably have brought home Pineda and Ichiro.
    Obviously we are mostly all Sox fans with the same passion for our team to do well.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I asked this on another thread, what did the Yankees pay for the DH position in recent years? Where are the forum Yankee fans when you need them since they are always here loaded with RS facts and opinions on an enemy forum.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration : The list shows the % diff. between teams and players--Ortiz's was a 23 % raise. AGon was a great pickup for PROSPECTS. If the Sox were willing to part with Ells we would have Pineda. If the Sox were willing to part with Ells, Lav, Middlebrooks and Ranaudo we could probably have brought home Pineda and Ichiro. Obviously we are mostly all Sox fans with the same passion for our team to do well.
    said I did not have time for math, but the sox offer of 12.65 from a base of 12.50 is a 1% raise.  there may be a 23% difference between the team offer and his request but if the team came in at $14 million where everyone thought was fair, they would have saved $2 million, because I think he will win.  Their only hope is to get him to sign a $20 million + contract for two years but then tyou have decreased 2013 flexibility as well.  I'll say it again.  the sox were stupid!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration : The list shows the % diff. between teams and players--Ortiz's was a 23 % raise. AGon was a great pickup for PROSPECTS. If the Sox were willing to part with Ells we would have Pineda. If the Sox were willing to part with Ells, Lav, Middlebrooks and Ranaudo we could probably have brought home Pineda and Ichiro. Obviously we are mostly all Sox fans with the same passion for our team to do well.

Of course it was a great trade.  We got one of the best players in BB and paid him $6M.  Rizzo has already been traded, and Kelly took a tiny step backwards.  In addition, if you signed him as a FA, you still have to give up your #1, depending on when he was signed.

And if that's not enough, it enabled us to signed him for $154M/7.  After Pujols signed for $250M+, we'd have had no shot at signing Gonzo for $154M.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]since arbitration is an either/or and not a negotiation Papi will get the $16 million not the $12.650 the sox offered. What are they thinking? With the year he had they barely offer him a raise and make his number the winning number. Its one thing to be cheap, it's an entirely different issue to be stupid.  the sox are really looking stupid now.

What do you base your opinion on?  Are there publications out there that have offered an analysis on his value?  I usually refer to MLBRumors, but they don't have Papi included.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]I asked this on another thread, what did the Yankees pay for the DH position in recent years? Where are the forum Yankee fans when you need them since they are always here loaded with RS facts and opinions on an enemy forum.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

$13.1M last year......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Big Papi wants $16M, should've never offered arbitration": [QUOTE]since arbitration is an either/or and not a negotiation Papi will get the $16 million not the $12.650 the sox offered. What are they thinking? With the year he had they barely offer him a raise and make his number the winning number. Its one thing to be cheap, it's an entirely different issue to be stupid.  the sox are really looking stupid now. Posted by accland[/QUOTE] Since they can negotiate an agreement before the scheduled hearing and this Sox Front Office has never had to go to a hearing, I'm guessing something gets done before hand. Nothing good ever comes out of a team going into a courtroom and presenting a case against their own player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Offer 3 yrs 14m/12m/10m.
    If he refuses take him to Arb.  If he is awarded 16m simply walk away and go sign Vladdy/Damon and Oswalt for that money. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no way should papi get 16 mill. he is not worth that much. but consider this, if papi somehow wins and gets 16 mill, he will only be making 5-6 mill less than fielder in all likelyhood. big mistake offering him arb. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dumbest thing ben did was offer papi arb. we should have stuck to our offer and if he doesnt like it then let him walk and exlpore the market. no chance he gets 12-16 mill on the open market. good dh's make half that.