Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame

Bill James,the "Godfather of Baseball Statistics" makes his case for why Dewey Evans belongs in the Hall Of Fame:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7555836/an-open-letter-mlb-hall-fame-dwight-evans-rightful-place-cooperstown

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

Re: Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame

In Response to Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame:
    [QUOTE]Bill James,the "Godfather of Baseball Statistics" makes his case for why Dewey Evans belongs in the Hall Of Fame:   http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7555836/an-open-letter-mlb-hall-fame-dwight-evans-rightful-place-cooperstown
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE] Larry Walker had a better career all around and is'nt and probably never will make the HOF,better numbers all around and as good or better defensively...dwight evans should NOT be in the hall

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame

In Response to Re: Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame : Larry Walker had a better career all around and is'nt and probably never will make the HOF,better numbers all around and as good or better defensively...dwight evans should NOT be in the hall
    Posted by iamme17[/QUOTE]

Larry's 1997 total stats were incredible. But, the chunk of his numbers came when the balls at Coors were not kept in the humidor before games. The outfield walls were backed up too.

Dewy should get in...the arm alone...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If you take Coors away from Walker, you have to take Fenway away from Dewey.  And if you take Fenway away from Dewey, the numbers just aren't there.  But the Red Sox should retire his number.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Interesting article...we could sure use Evans now. I always thought he wasted the first years of his career, it took him until about 1980 to figure it all out and after that he was a Superstar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Interesting article. I'm sold.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

As an all-around player and career, Evans deserves a HOF a lot more than many palyers currently in it. The standard for the HOF is very low, so Evans more than meets that standard. The HOF has long become a PC party, and very much a media joke!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm usually not one to reward longevity with high honors, and I have never felt Dewey played well enough to make the Hall, plus, I am a big fan of great fielding.

After reading this article, I have changed my mind. Mr. Evans belongs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Evans is the best fielding (includes throwing) RF'er I have ever seen in live action. He is an example that point to point speed does not make a great MLB outfielder. Completely poised and no wasted movement. 100% efficient.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame:
    [QUOTE]Evans is the best fielding (includes throwing) RF'er I have ever seen in live action. He is an example that point to point speed does not make a great MLB outfielder. Completely poised and no wasted movement. 100% efficient.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

I was at a spring training game in 1985 or 1986 in Winter Haven, and the outfielders were doing some extra after the game. Tony Armas, who had a good arm himself, and Evans (and a couple of others, but Evans and Armas were the best) were standing at the warning track in right center trying to outdo each other with throws to third base. They were throwing missiles, and a bunch of fans were hanging around watching the display. They got more cheers for each throw than anything during the game. It was an awesome display.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I'll bet it was, and more indicative if live action skill than softball/BP homerun derby which is just about meaningless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Bill James' Hall of Fame Monitor also pegs Jason Kendall as a more likely Hall of Famer than Jorge Posada.

I know Kendall was an outstanding catcher and hitter early in his career.  But is he really the more likely of these two to get into Cooperstown?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

PC means that NY media gives Posada the better HOF "very good player" track.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Dwight Evans took the same approach in 1990 that Wake and Tek have been taking for more than a year - approach de denial.

Going to Baltimore for that dismal final season may be the only reason his number is not retired.  

* I do not think he is HOF material but be certainly could have had his number retired here had he not gone to Baltimore - double whammy (did not play entire career here and is not in HOF) with Fisk as the only exception to date.

* What is interesting is Dwights offensive career did not even begin until he was thirty years old.  He only played in 162 games twice in his twenty year career. A great asset to any team of course.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Evans was not a disgrace, like Wastefield and Varitek. He had a market value and did one final session in Baltimore, then knew it was time to retire. Varitek and Wastefield should have retired years ago!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bill James:"Dwight Evans belongs in Cooperstown" : An open letter to the Hall of Fame : I was at a spring training game in 1985 or 1986 in Winter Haven, and the outfielders were doing some extra after the game. Tony Armas, who had a good arm himself, and Evans (and a couple of others, but Evans and Armas were the best) were standing at the warning track in right center trying to outdo each other with throws to third base. They were throwing missiles, and a bunch of fans were hanging around watching the display. They got more cheers for each throw than anything during the game. It was an awesome display.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

The new mentality in baseball probably would forbid such action in fear they might "tweak" their elbow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

i don't need this numbers guy goof to know Dwight Evans belongs in the HOF. but thanks anyway Bill.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Numbers shmumbers.  Sure, ok, Evans doesn't get to Cooperstown.  Fine.  But, Larry Walker?? Please.  Let the comparisons end at the offensive numbers.  Larry Walker is an afterthought in the history of the game.  Dewey is a patch in the magic tapestry.  Dewey played the field as beautiful as anyone who has ever played the game.  I put him in the same master artistic echelon as Brooks, Say Hey, and Ozzie.  Absolute grace under pressure.  He may not make Cooperstown.  But he is Hall of Fame for me, no question.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SouthSt. Show SouthSt's posts

Dwight led the majors in extra-base hits during the '80's . . . don't know the entire list, but have read that no other extra-base hit decade champion has been left out of the HOF . . . I've always felt he was/is worthy of solid consideration, making it ridiculous how quickly he was dropped off the ballot

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Space,
     I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.  I feel the same about Evans as you, but Walker had a great career, too.  He had tremendous OBPs, especially later in his career, when his BAves were not as high.  A lot of James's reason for choosing Evans over Cedeno and Parker was that Evans got on base much more.  Well, so did Walker.  And Walker won 7 gold gloves, to Evans's 8.  Gotta think Walker belongs in the discussion.  Would love to see James investigate his (Walker's) merits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Space,  I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.  I feel the same about Evans as you, but Walker had a great career, too.  He had tremendous OBPs, especially later in his career, when his BAves were not as high.  A lot of James's reason for choosing Evans over Cedeno and Parker was that Evans got on base much more.  Well, so did Walker.  And Walker won 7 gold gloves, to Evans's 8.  Gotta think Walker belongs in the discussion.  Would love to see James investigate his (Walker's) merits.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sorry Par.  I was a little hard on Walker.  No disrespect at all.  Walker was a gamer and a fantastic ballplayer.   But, in my baseball consciousness, there is no comparison (or, I should say, the comparisons end at their respective pretty darn good offensive numbers).  And, I am not taking anything away from Walker in the field.  He was no slouch by any means.  But Evans was transcendent.  His ghost still roams Fenway RF.  So much so, in fact, that I defended JD Drew tirelessly over his tenure with the Red Sox ... merely because his excellent reads and easy, loping stride sometimes made Dewey's ghost visible to me. 

Again, no disrespect to Walker.  He deserves to at least be in a Cooperstown discussion, for sure.  But, the difference to me comes down to:  there are a lot of guys with excellent O stats and respected all-around games who don't make the hall.  But, granted there are many old-time players I never got to see play right field, Evans, in my eyes, is The Best Right-Fielder Ever.  That is a title deserving of the Hall.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dewey was one of my favorite players - always wished he was a Yankee and I always had him on my fantasy baseball teams..

That being said, if the Hall open doors for Dewey, there will be a line of players just as deserving as him waiting for induction. Bernie Williams & Paul O'Neil comes to mind - they were the true centerpieces of the Yankee Dynasty of the late 90's.

As for Dwight - thumbs up on my end.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Space,

Have to agree with you on that.  Evans is the greatest RFer in my lifetime, with the possible exception of Clemente.  Evans's arm was something to behold, and he made that crazy corner look predictable and easy to play. 

On a side note...wish Hriniak could have coached JD Drew in hitting.  For all of the beautiful swing, Drew sure did miss a lot of pitches.  He always seemed more about the swing than actually making contact to me.  But yes, he was the second best RFer I can remember ever playing for the Sox, and I have been a fan since the early 60's.

25. This post has been removed.