Billy Butler is available

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Billy Butler is available

He's the ideal fit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Billy Butler is available

I agree. But We would have to give up a lot to get him. I dont think BC wants to part with a lot of the prospects.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, but make your specific trade offer, by including enough players in the trade pool to make sure you acquire Butler. It's meaningless to say "he's available".

[/QUOTE]

Right.

Because we are all general managers not people who are discussing baseball in a boston.com chat room.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Maybe Lavarnway, Webster, JBJ, and Brentz? but then again, that's too many prospects to give up.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe Lavarnway, Webster, JBJ, and Brentz? but then again, that's too many prospects to give up.  

[/QUOTE]

we could start with holt or cirriaco and and a choice of top prospect along with a B prospect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Butler's a DH that is a butcher with the glove....not sure I'd trade the farm for him....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The reason BB might be available is he can be easily replaced by someone they have on their 40 and they are looking for one specific chip or to deepen their rotation.

If you offered Doubie, RDLR, Barnes and Webster you could have BB. Is BB worth that much to us? I would say no. He's obviously better than Mauro Gomez but given a real chance, perhaps 3 months he may blossom.

If you could get BB for Boggie straight up would you do it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to bruinsGENIUS' comment:

He's the ideal fit.

The Royals apparently are in a win-now mode and are unlikely to trade Billy Butler.   Dustin Pedroia may be an ideal fit for the Royals, but that does not mean Pedroia is available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

'Salutely .... way too many.   Looking forward to Webster, JBJ and Brentz ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

If your gonna destroy our farm system we better obtain STANTON

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to RickEO's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A little more like it...   :o)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to RickEO's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's the guy worth making the farm system work for you--Stanton could be the RF'der for the next 10 years. If you traded the farm you know you could eventually rebuild it as their would be a GM that would believe he could lead you to the WS. 

What would the marlins want in opening the talks?

WMB or Boggie, Lester or Buch, Bailey, Webster, Barnes, Holt and Brentz. 

That's about as far as I would go.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Laughed at.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reason BB might be available is he can be easily replaced by someone they have on their 40 and they are looking for one specific chip or to deepen their rotation.

If you offered Doubie, RDLR, Barnes and Webster you could have BB. Is BB worth that much to us? I would say no. He's obviously better than Mauro Gomez but given a real chance, perhaps 3 months he may blossom.

[/QUOTE]

i would definitely do a straight up for doubront. doubront will not be missed.

[/QUOTE]

laughed at.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

laughed at.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

A realistic package:

Lester or Buchh, Webster, Brentz

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Maybe:

Doubront, Middlebrooks, Brentz gets it done.  Not sure though.

He's 26, is a proven .300 hitter and hit 29 last year.  You just cant find that in the MLB. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A realistic package:

[/QUOTE]

maybe in your reality.

[/QUOTE]

They didnt flip their farm system for a #2 pitcher w/ a big contract to turn around and trade a proven .300 major league hitter for prospects.

They are clearly looking for big club talent.  Also: teams have a ton more money these days and no longer have to take a chance on a handful of maybes. That being the case, prospects really dont have the purchasing power that they use to.

LAD gave up 2 good pitching prospects to be on the wrong end of a salary dump, The Blue Jays gave up a better prospect than we;ve had in yrs + another top 3 prospect + more for 1 yr of a 38 yr old reliever.

A package of a top 5 prospect and two more prospects in your 5 - 10 range does not get you a cost controlled young player who is a very proven hitter.  It may get you 1/2 of a season of a 30 yr old player at the deadline who is a FA after the season.  And even thats a maybe.  Have to adjust the trade values of your pieces for the market.  Right now, due to the influx of TV revenue, prospects dont carry the weight they did 2-3 yrs ago.

Teams want major league talent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A realistic package:

Maybe:

Doubront, Middlebrooks, Brentz gets it done.  Not sure though.

He's 26, is a proven .300 hitter and hit 29 last year.  You just cant find that in the MLB. 

[/QUOTE]

I would not trade Lester or Middlebrooks straight up for him. Let alone add anything else. He is a DH. There is a reason no DH has ever made 15 million a season. They have limited value. You could play him at 1st base, but his defense is awful and his base running too. A younger version of Mike Napoli, only with more stick and less power. Only has 3 years of control and will average over 9 million a year.  Pay Napoli 4 million more and you don't have to give up anything.

I would happily take him and give something up of quality, but BB is a very limited player and I think you over rate his value. Maybe Doubront and Brentz. Or Buchholtz alone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Maybe I'm one of those saps who overvalues our prospects, but if the posts in this thread are any indication of what KC's asking price would be (in other words, 3-4 of our top 6 or so prospects, possibly in combination with guys from the MLB team like Lester, Buch, Middlebrooks, or Doubront), then forget this. Not sure I'd give up a package like that for a guy like J. Upton - but Butler is basically a DH. He has a sweet bat, to be sure, but this isn't someone we should mortgage the future (and quite possibly the present) for. I'd rather see Mauro Gomez at 1B if it came to that.