BLOCKBUSTER DEAL - BLUE JAYS INSTANT FAVORITES TO WIN THE DIVISION!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: BLOCKBUSTER DEAL - BLUE JAYS INSTANT FAVORITES TO WIN THE DIVISION!

Now we go after Stanton? Why not? Miami ownership should be thrown on jail for everything they have done the past three years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Can we call the Jays the best team ever yet?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Stanton would be a nice piece to build with but the Marlins can still afford him.  He would costs way to much for us to obtain.  Start with our top 5 propects.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Jays made a major splash with that deal!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now we go after Stanton? Why not? Miami ownership should be thrown on jail for everything they have done the past three years.

[/QUOTE]

I say go for it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Easy money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't know if they are the favorites to win the division , but they are sure as heck a lot better than us.  Ben is busy checking the market for low cost ham and eggers. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Angels are clearly the team to beat, as they easily had the best offseason.  They won 86 games last year, they just signed the best hitter on the market (Albert Pujols), the best pitcher on the market (C.J. Wilson) and they supposedly have a young superstar named Mike Trout who should be ready next year.  They only have one other good team in their division (Texas), while Seattle and Oakland are terrible.  Oakland just traded their two best starters (Gio Gonzalez & Trevor Cahil) for a bunch of kids and their all-star closer (Andrew Bailey), how bad are they going to be?!?!  Wait.....what year is this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL good one Carnie.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, mon ami. I read the  Szymborski article on ESPN MLB this evening and it will rank up there in my mind with one of the more hyperbolic pieces in a while, at least with regard to predicting the next year's dvision winners.  Josh J. sported a 3.81 ERA, and was hardly pitching against the AL East, even though I know that the AL/NL gap has closed in the last few years, evidenced by the WS results.  Reyes had a good year, but we will see how he does on the artificial turf.  It could help him offensively but it might also take a toll on his wheels.  And we know Josh Johnson has had lingering shoulder problems with a decreased velocity (92.8 last year, down from  94. in 2010) last year.  He might be fine, but people should also be prepared for him to be no more than a 3 or 4 starter. Buehrle is serviceable but is nearing the end of his career.  If Bautista stays healthy and plays the entire year, then that would be important for the Jays to rebound.  But remember...73 wins last year...WAR upside or not with the  trade, are they suddenly the faves?...Could we slow down here? What if the O's sign Josh Hamilton.  That might make a slight difference. I predict they will finish behind at least two of the top 3 Al East teams, or maybe back in 4th.  An outside shot at second.  But the Jays winning the Al East?  They cannot.  Don't forget.  It's a Canadian team, and the last time I looked, that was artificial turf and not ice on the Rogers Center field.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Angels are clearly the team to beat, as they easily had the best offseason.  They won 86 games last year, they just signed the best hitter on the market (Albert Pujols), the best pitcher on the market (C.J. Wilson) and they supposedly have a young superstar named Mike Trout who should be ready next year.  They only have one other good team in their division (Texas), while Seattle and Oakland are terrible.  Oakland just traded their two best starters (Gio Gonzalez & Trevor Cahil) for a bunch of kids and their all-star closer (Andrew Bailey), how bad are they going to be?!?!  Wait.....what year is this?

[/QUOTE]

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Wasnt everyone crowning LAA the best team in the league after their offseason least year? I mean Pujols, Trout, and Wilson added this past year with a potential Cy Young pitcher...Nope, not even 90 wins...

Just because they get a few flshy names does not mean they are an instant winner. they  should improve some, but I wouldnt go handing them the trophy just yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

Blue Jays, Marlins Complete Blockbuster Trade

[/QUOTE]

I live in Southern Ontario, but the Red Sox are my number one team.  I keep track on the Jays news this can be the best thing for Toronto as sports city, especially baseball. The city of Toronto was voted as the worst professional sports city in North America. Their hockey team has not  made play-offs in over 8 years, the raptors are always making promises but don't suceed and then the Jays has not been a high caliber team since they won two world series in the early nineties.

The Jays may slip into wild card spot but this is just a big marketing move to get more fans into their stadium and higher television ratings.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Blue Jays, Marlins Complete Blockbuster Trade

[/QUOTE]

I live in Southern Ontario, but the Red Sox are my number one team.  I keep track on the Jays news this can be the best thing for Toronto as sports city, especially baseball. The city of Toronto was voted as the worst professional sports city in North America. Their hockey team has not  made play-offs in over 8 years, the raptors are always making promises but don't suceed and then the Jays has not been a high caliber team since they won two world series in the early nineties.

The Jays may slip into wild card spot but this is just a big marketing move to get more fans into their stadium and higher television ratings.

[/QUOTE]

sounds about right bobo...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, mon ami. I read the  Szymborski article on ESPN MLB this evening and it will rank up there in my mind with one of the more hyperbolic pieces in a while, at least with regard to predicting the next year's dvision winners.  Josh J. sported a 3.81 ERA, and was hardly pitching against the AL East, even though I know that the AL/NL gap has closed in the last few years, evidenced by the WS results.  Reyes had a good year, but we will see how he does on the artificial turf.  It could help him offensively but it might also take a toll on his wheels.  And we know Josh Johnson has had lingering shoulder problems with a decreased velocity (92.8 last year, down from  94. in 2010) last year.  He might be fine, but people should also be prepared for him to be no more than a 3 or 4 starter. Buehrle is serviceable but is nearing the end of his career.  If Bautista stays healthy and plays the entire year, then that would be important for the Jays to rebound.  But remember...73 wins last year...WAR upside or not with the  trade, are they suddenly the faves?...Could we slow down here? What if the O's sign Josh Hamilton.  That might make a slight difference. I predict they will finish behind at least two of the top 3 Al East teams, or maybe back in 4th.  An outside shot at second.  But the Jays winning the Al East?  They cannot.  Don't forget.  It's a Canadian team, and the last time I looked, that was artificial turf and not ice on the Rogers Center field.....

[/QUOTE] With reyes,lawrie,bautista,encarnacion and rasmus,lindt  plus d'arnaud and arencibbia they'll score plenty and with morrow,johnson,romero,happ ,burhle backed with drabak and jansen and santos closing not only can they win the east but they should definately be in the hunt.No way they finish 4th or 5th. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

So these players were on a team with more talent last year and the team underperformed. They are on a less talented team now. Are you sure they are going to perform?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So these players were on a team with more talent last year and the team underperformed. They are on a less talented team now. Are you sure they are going to perform?

[/QUOTE]

The Jays just traded their farm system for the core of a team that went 69-93.  The Sox traded away the core of a team that ended up 69-93.

The big difference was the Marlins acheived that record BEFORE their semi-annual fire sale...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The guys that Toronto acquired are quality players who immediately improve their team.  Pretending they are not is a lame way of defending BenC.  Ben is currently presiding over a last place club.  Do any of you really want to see a repeat of last year ?  Maybe even worse ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

got to wonder what Farrell is thinking about this news...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I expect Nolasco to be dealt at some point.  Beyond that, the Marlins are likely not to make any major moves for a couple years.  

Followed by another firesale 6 months later...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

John Farrell is probably thinking, "Thank God I don't have to deal with Jose Reyes for the next 5 years."  Read the article below and tell me you'd want to root for this guy...

http://michaelperry18.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/jose-reyes-nl-batting-chump-not-champ/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

John Farrell is probably thinking, "Thank God I don't have to deal with Jose Reyes for the next 5 years."  Read the article below and tell me you'd want to root for this guy...

http://michaelperry18.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/jose-reyes-nl-batting-chump-not-champ/

[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing that and though what a loser this guy is. Ted Williams was going for .400 and he couldve sat out and played it safe. But then again, Great players play and are not selfish.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing that and though what a loser this guy is. Ted Williams was going for .400 and he couldve sat out and played it safe. But then again, Great players play and are not selfish.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Southpaw...I just never liked Reyes, either.  He seems to be one of those "stat" guys that carry fantasy baseball teams.  Plus, I'm not going to lie, I love Boegarts and I've seen him play enough where he seems to have that "quality" that you can't explain, but you just know the kid is going to be something special.  I think there are enough people in the Sox Front Office who feel that Boegarts is pretty much untouchable at this point and he's got the kind of makeup where they wouldn't be concerned about bringing him too early. The scouting reports just don't do this kid justice. 

It's similar to last year with Middlebrooks.  I argued with Moon and Hill a little bit because they weren't as high on him as I was, but the kid just seemed to have all of the intangibles, and more than a few people around the game have said, "the ball just sounds different coming off of his bat."  He's not there yet by any stretch, but I can't wait to see what this kid does next year if he is healthy...