Bobby V. and his continued undermining of the Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Bobby V. and his continued undermining of the Sox

That metaphorical bus that Bobby V has thrown iconic Red Sox players under should continue to switch gears between drive and reverse and roll back and forth over him to permanently etch deep tire tread marks onto his thick skull.  May he be scapegoated worse than No, No, Nannette Harry Frazee for all current and future Red Sox ills.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bobby Valentine, the gift that keeps on giving...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I do like the Captain Queeg analogy but my experience from a fans perspective leaves no doubt Ortiz sat out for his best interest. I would not be surprised the FO encouraged him to do so.... as by then nobody saw a point in caring anymore.

BV maybe have been a poor choice in hindsight, check that he was a poor choice, but irronically it served to expose how messed up this team was from top to bottom... and that September 2011 was not a fluke but a deep rooted disease.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I dont blame Valentine for ANY of this.

Lucchino created this mess. Nobody should have expected any different out of Valentine.

Once again Sox management 'knew' they were smarter than everyone else. Once again, they were proven wrong. And continually, they bury their head rather than face facts.

The ONLY hope for this team is:

1) Henry, Werner and Lucchino stay the H E L L away from ANY and ALL baseball decisions for the rest of their miserable existence here...

2) Cherrington proves to be a capable GM.

Also, it would be nice to find a video of Cherrington and Farrell going 'Office Space' on CARMINE. Time for people to take back the game played, not by robots, but by HUMAN BEINGS. They've only ever had one robot, and Drew was never any good either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont blame Valentine for ANY of this.

Lucchino created this mess. Nobody should have expected any different out of Valentine.

Once again Sox management 'knew' they were smarter than everyone else. Once again, they were proven wrong. And continually, they bury their head rather than face facts.

The ONLY hope for this team is:

1) Henry, Werner and Lucchino stay the H E L L away from ANY and ALL baseball decisions for the rest of their miserable existence here...

2) Cherrington proves to be a capable GM.

Also, it would be nice to find a video of Cherrington and Farrell going 'Office Space' on CARMINE. Time for people to take back the game played, not by robots, but by HUMAN BEINGS. They've only ever had one robot, and Drew was never any good either.

[/QUOTE]

So Bobby V didn't throw any of his guys under the bus? Seriously? I actually agree with you about Lucchino, but Bobby V was either the worst or second worst RS manager I've ever seen. Worse than Hobson, McNamara, or Jimy Williams. Bobby's only real competition for worst Red Sox manager in my lifetime comes from Joe (the Nutty Professor) Kerrigan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Bobby V is and was a Billy Martin wannabe but without the results or the cajones to say things directly at a player.

I must admit now that when the Sox signed him for 2012, I honestly stopped thinking the Sox would be any kind of force for the year. Bobby V. really should just walk away from Boston now and never say another peep again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do like the Captain Queeg analogy but my experience from a fans perspective leaves no doubt Ortiz sat out for his best interest. I would not be surprised the FO encouraged him to do so.... as by then nobody saw a point in caring anymore.

BV maybe have been a poor choice in hindsight, check that he was a poor choice, but irronically it served to expose how messed up this team was from top to bottom... and that September 2011 was not a fluke but a deep rooted disease.

[/QUOTE]

Dumb.

And ignorant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bobby V is and was a Billy Martin wannabe but without the results or the cajones to say things directly at a player.

I must admit now that when the Sox signed him for 2012, I honestly stopped thinking the Sox would be any kind of force for the year. Bobby V. really should just walk away from Boston now and never say another peep again.

[/QUOTE]

Valentine is a walking billboard for, "I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Valentine is a walking billboard for, "I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability."

[/QUOTE]

Good one! LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"Valentine is a walking billboard for, "I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability."

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Both Dice-K and Valentine need to go back to Japan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

OY!!!...that's what happens when you put a mike on someone who's continually unfiltered

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OY!!!...that's what happens when you put a mike on someone who's continually unfiltered

[/QUOTE]

That's why the media loves him.

I've heard more than one media member up here say they're going miss BV.

The articles pretty much write themselves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

Ench, 

I'll disagree in one respect. Yes this team of player definitely had issues but with the right manager, possibly Farrel, this team had enough talent to turn it around. The team needed a stern manager who would earn their respect which it's now very obvious was not there from the beginning in ST. If you listened to the interview with ex-MLB pitcher Jim Kaat, he states very clearly that the club according to his observation had it's issues as early as spring training. Starting the year in 2012 this was still the same roster that had one h-ll of a run before the wheels fell of in September the year before, slightly disfunctional but with a good manager was very capable of winning this year.

The jury is out on Farrel but so far he is saying all the right things. I wasn't for the signing of Farrel but there's been a lot of support from players and compliments coming from other that know Farrel so I guess I'll be watching the Soz and not the Brewers.

Hetch in Milwaukee 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It is possible the team would have done better with Farrell in 2012... attitudes may have been better and maybe the pitchers more on the ball

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

There was no reason for Ortiz to play and risk a torn achlies which would have taken 8-12 months to reahab.  The season was lost.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dumb and Dumber Part II, starring Bobby Valentine.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

So some people think that Ortiz loafed around at the end of the year and wasn't really hurt that badly.  He could've come back to play (which he actually tried to do, by the way, and left the game with a limp), but he didn't because he "only cared about his own interests."

I have a question for you people.  Don't you think it would've been in his best interest to come back and play?  I think that's the stance that anyone with deductive reasoning or even a basic understanding of baseball would take.

Ortiz is someone who has made it clear he wants an extended contract with the Sox.  And if not the Sox, then he wants to look enticing to another team.  And the biggest question with Ortiz for the Sox and any other team is Ortiz's age and durability.

What possible benefit would Ortiz have of reaffirming everyone's primary fears about him that he is too old and injury prone?  If Ortiz only cared about "his own interests," then wouldn't the win/loss record of the team he was currently playing on be irrelevant vs. his future prospects?  Wouldn't he want to continue with his monster season he'd been having if he was physically able to?  (And in fact Rob Bradford has confirmed that it was Ortiz that insisted on trying to come back, even though he still didn't feel right.)

Because the way things shook out with him struggling to come back and finishing the season in a boot, he made himself a heck of a lot LESS enticing.  I'm  having trouble with some people's logic here.  Do you think Ortiz's agent told him, "Yes, David, make yourself look old and injured.  I recommend that.  I want you to instill the fear in people that the achilles injury may be career-threatening and that a team can't depend on your health in the future.  I feel that will give us a real leg up when it comes to bargaining in the off season."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to DayToDay's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So some people think that Ortiz loafed around at the end of the year and wasn't really hurt that badly.  He could've come back to play (which he actually tried to do, by the way, and left the game with a limp), but he didn't because he "only cared about his own interests."

I have a question for you people.  If Ortiz didn't come back to play because he only cared about his own interests, don't you think it would've been in his best interest to come back and play?  Ortiz is someone who has made it clear he wants an extended contract with the Sox.  And if not the Sox, then he wants to look enticing to another team.

The biggest question with Ortiz for the Sox and any other team is Ortiz's age and durability.  What possible benefit would Ortiz have of reaffirming everyone's primary fears about him that he is too old and injury prone?  If Ortiz only cared about himself, then wouldn't the win/loss record of the team he was currently playing on be irrelevant vs. his future prospects?  Wouldn't he want to continue with his monster season he'd been having if he was physically able to?  (And in fact Rob Bradford has confirmed that it was Ortiz that insisted on trying to come back, even though he still didn't feel right.)

Because the way things shook out with him struggling to come back and finishing the season in a boot, he made himself a heck of a lot LESS enticing.  I'm  having trouble with some people's logic here.  Do you think Ortiz's agent told him, "Yes, David, make yourself look old and injured.  I recommend that.  I want you to instill the fear in people that the achilles injury may be career-threatening and that a team can't depend on your health in the future.  I feel that will give us a real leg up when it comes to bargaining in the off season."

[/QUOTE]

It may not have given him a leg up when it came to bargaining in the off season, but the suggested treatment for an achilles tendon injury is to sleep with your leg elevated;  so, literally, this part of his agent's advice was sound.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DayToDay's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I don't doubt for a minute Ortiz threw in the towel as he was looking out for his best interest. Simple. Why paly and risk injuring yourself for the sake of a sub .500 team that was paying you millions to do just that - play.

Even the biggest Ortiz fan would have to admit he would not have sat out if the season was on the line, the ship had already sank. Also just like when Manny was traded once they traded AGon Ortiz was left naked int he line-up and he cannot handle that.[/QUOTE]

Was he paid $13 million to play in 2012? Or not? Do tell 

This is idiotic.  NO sane player would play through a potential career ending injury unless the entire season was on the line.  You make it sound like Ortiz's behavior is selfish or unreasonable.  Do you honestly think Schiling would have been out on the mound with a jerry-rigged tendon surgery if the season weren't on the line.  I suspect if the Sox had no shot at the playoffs in 2004, and Schilling had taken his last couple starts off to have proper ankle surgery, you'd call him out for not going out on the mound with blood seeping through his sock to finish the season.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Ortiz didn't want to play any more in 2012. If thats true (and we will never know the real truth), thats wrong. What I know is true is that I really don't want anyone, eg: Valentine, rubbing MY NOSE in 2012 any more. I want to move on from it. There were lots of mistakes made that cannot be undone last year; no one can change that. But for Valentine to exit slinging sh!t at the fans and the team is disgraceful. He should be locked in a padded cell with Ozzie Guillen for 24 hours as punishment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] well ya gotta give the guy(i don't know if  using"credit" is the right word here) but i guess much like Ozzie ( with the volume turned waay down :-) ).. he's one of those i feel it...i say it guys..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Give it a few days and Bobby V will retract everything.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give it a few days and Bobby V will retract everything.

[/QUOTE]

:)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

At that point in the season what was the point of Ortiz playing and risking making the injury worse?  At that point it was an non issue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] well ya gotta give the guy(i don't know if  using"credit" is the right word here) but i guess much like Ozzie ( with the volume turned waay down :-) ).. he's one of those i feel it...i say it guys..

[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's Ozzie.

BV's problem is, if he doesn't feel it, he makes it up.