Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandylolead. Show sandylolead's posts

Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting.

Anyone else think Bobby V gave Aceves the closer job to make up for not getting the starter gig. Trying to make him happy again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting.

In Response to Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting.:
    [QUOTE]Anyone else think Bobby V gave Aceves the closer job to make up for not getting the starter gig. Trying to make him happy again.
    Posted by sandylolead[/QUOTE]

I think that certainly may have played into the decision.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

No. He is the best option available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

he is the best option. just not the smartest. unless hes going out and getting 2 inning saves every time he will be underutilized. The more innings this guy pitches the better off the red sox will be

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I thought it was the front office throwing Bobby V a bone.

Why do people think that Bobby V (or Tito for that matter) had a say in personel decisions?  The front office builds the team and then selects a guy to coach them.  How a team plays, how a team is built, has to be done on a plan that was started long before Bobby V came along.  The FO selects the parts and the Manager is supposed to use them the way the FO intended.  Now, it's the manager's role to communicate to the front office when something is broken or when something isn't working, but ultimately, it's the front office's team.

If I'm the front office and I hire someone to play RF, the manager better play him in RF.

Don't believe me, name one player that was acquired by the team because Bobby V. said he wanted him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

To paraphrase the great the great Jake Taylor....

This isn't the California Penal league, we don't give guys jobs for personal reasons, so cut the cry baby crap...."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandylolead. Show sandylolead's posts

Melancon was the safer option with Aceves as the backup. That way you could utilize Aceves as a starter in case of an emergency like Beckett going down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting.:
    [QUOTE]Anyone else think Bobby V gave Aceves the closer job to make up for not getting the starter gig. Trying to make him happy again.
    Posted by sandylolead[/QUOTE]   Son, your working too hard here.....  Bobby V. has the right plan in Aceves as the "1st closer".  However, he has more goooood arms in that pen this year than tito did the last3 or 4 years..... This pen should be fun to watch !!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

You manage not only talent, but personalities. BobbyV likes his "fired up" competitiveness...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting.:
    [QUOTE]I thought it was the front office throwing Bobby V a bone. Why do people think that Bobby V (or Tito for that matter) had a say in personel decisions?  The front office builds the team and then selects a guy to coach them.  How a team plays, how a team is built, has to be done on a plan that was started long before Bobby V came along.  The FO selects the parts and the Manager is supposed to use them the way the FO intended.  Now, it's the manager's role to communicate to the front office when something is broken or when something isn't working, but ultimately, it's the front office's team. If I'm the front office and I hire someone to play RF, the manager better play him in RF. Don't believe me, name one player that was acquired by the team because Bobby V. said he wanted him?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. The manager should have input into personnel decisions but after watching Moneyball I don't think that is the case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Bobby V, threw Aceves a Bone for not starting. :    Son, your working too hard here.....  Bobby V. has the right plan in Aceves as the "1st closer".  However, he has more goooood arms in that pen this year than tito did the last3 or 4 years..... This pen should be fun to watch !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Now you are scaring me Bill. This Sox pen is the weakest it has been since before they brought Fouke in.

But I do agree with Aceves - it saves innings on his arm during the first half of the year and he is extremely effective in shutting down line-ups. MM, as talented as he is, has never been in such a pressure cooker before. He tasted it just ait, but not like this.

I have said all off season that I thought Paps was a keeper and it is a risk moving Bard to the rotation. We will see if my hunches come true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Bobby V threw Aceves a Bone.

I didn't know they got intimate like that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

[QUOTE]he is the best option. just not the smartest. unless hes going out and getting 2 inning saves every time he will be underutilized. The more innings this guy pitches the better off the red sox will be
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]

Exactly - it is not the wisest choice taking a guy who can easily give you 120 - 150 innings and putting him in a role that generally limits you to around 70.  All those extra innings will have to be filled by lesser quality arms like Albers, Atchison, Bowden, Thomas, etc.  Aceves should either be a starter or bullpen workhorse, not the closer.  He doesn't have overpowering stuff, and seems to be sharper the more he works.  My guess (hope) is sanity will prevail before the calendar turns to May.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think it will work out fine. I wonder what will happen if Bard falters a few times and Cook does well at Pawtucket. Will they move Bard back to the pen and give Cook a shot. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]I think it will work out fine. I wonder what will happen if Bard falters a few times and Cook does well at Pawtucket. Will they move Bard back to the pen and give Cook a shot. 
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

now with baileys injury I expect them to do that even if bard pitches well in the roto. Cook is looking real real good right now. i can't wait to see him in action in games that matter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agreed w/ that mef, Cook has looked pretty good so far. If Cook breaks down then Bard will get another shot or maybe not.