Boras and Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Boras and Drew

I guess that I would like Boras to work for me if i ever needed an agent, but he is certainly very tiring to listen to about things like "six teams are interested in Drew".

If there were 6 teams interested in Drew he would have been signed by now instead of still talking to the Red Sox regarding their offer which is supposedly to be for one or two years at the most.

Time for Boras to just admit that he counseled Drew improperly, get a contract done somewhere and let the guy get mentally ready to play for whichever team signs him for way less than the 14.1 M that the passed up with the qualifying offer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Boras and Drew

no way Charlie...didnt you hear the cheerleaders all year long telling you how awesome his WAR was..???

<2x flush> once for WAR - once for Drew's free agency demands

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

1 year 5m plus 5m in incentives 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no way Charlie...didnt you hear the cheerleaders all year long telling you how awesome his WAR was..???

<2x flush> once for WAR - once for Drew's free agency demands

[/QUOTE]

LOL....nice post!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess that I would like Boras to work for me if i ever needed an agent, but he is certainly very tiring to listen to about things like "six teams are interested in Drew".

If there were 6 teams interested in Drew he would have been signed by now instead of still talking to the Red Sox regarding their offer which is supposedly to be for one or two years at the most.

Time for Boras to just admit that he counseled Drew improperly, get a contract done somewhere and let the guy get mentally ready to play for whichever team signs him for way less than the 14.1 M that the passed up with the qualifying offer.

[/QUOTE]

just because he hasn't been signed yet doesn't mean there aren't teams interested. they just might not think he is worth a 1st round pick. If one of those teams signs a FA with a comp pick attached to them (one of the top FA starters for example) and then signed Drew they would only lose a 2nd round pick. Which makes him more attactive as opposed to that team. once the dominoes fall on the pitching front i expec things will pick up for Drew. provided he doesn't resign with the Sox by then. (which i want to happen btw)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I think it's in drews best interest to wait

maybe wait 4 someone 2 get hurt

aka vmart/ prince

Jan 24, 2012 Tigers sign Prince Fielder to nine-year, $214 million deal

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Mef,

I understand that Drew could be signed later for the various reasons that you mention, but I am still sick of hearing Boras crowing about "5-6 teams interested in Drew" when you cannot find the names of any five or six teams with interest anywhere on the www.

St. Louis maybe was, but then signed Peralta.  The Mets have 'considered" Drew, but have not made an offer.   Maybe Boras should back up what he says and name these other four  "mystery" teams?

Btw, I like bringing Drew back as well just not as a 9.5M starting shortstop because I want to see if Bogaerts is ready to become the Sox SS and would like to give him a full two month shot (only at SS) to see if he is ready.  I do not think that he should be used at anything but his best position to determine if he is ready this year to be a full timer in 2014.

Signing Drew as a back up infielder for two years (at the longest) for 6 M per season would allow for a nice fallback option for the Sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Drew is a decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year. We would have been better off with Iglesias as the shortstop all year. For 2014 , we are better off giving the job to Bogaerts.  As for Boras; don't blame him. He is just doing his job in trying to promote his client.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I really don't care one way or the other whether Drew signs with the Sox or not! We acquired a b/u switch hitting SS in Jonathan Herrera, we are so flush with 3rd basemen in our system guys are already attempting position switches! Bogaerts is a SS/3B, so lets find out which position he's going to hold onto for the next 6years! If he's the SS then lets start sorting out the third basemen, right now it's WMB but man o man does he have some serious competition coming his way, Cecchini, Devers and of course Bogaerts! Because regardless of whether we think Bogey is a SS or not there are some contenders coming up that are pure SS's, starting with Marrero who is less than a year away. My point is that the farm system is finally stocked with plenty of everyday left side of the infield prospects, so Drew is nothing more than an after thought, thanks for his contribution last year, but this is a new year and the young stars are coming in droves.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew is an decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year. We would have been better off with Iglesias as the shortstop all year. For 2014 , we are better off giving the job to Bogaerts.  As for Boras; don't blame him. He is just doing his job in trying to promote his client.

[/QUOTE]

Better off last year? What is better than winning the WS?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Representing both Bogaerts and Drew for the same position on the same team shouldn't be allowed IMO. Especially, when it's in Boras' best interest to have Bogaerts start on the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

Drew is an decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year. We would have been better off with Iglesias as the shortstop all year. For 2014 , we are better off giving the job to Bogaerts.  As for Boras; don't blame him. He is just doing his job in trying to promote his client.

[/QUOTE]

Drew saved us in a number of games, and I still think the double-plays between him and Pedroia have to be a record. 

The Tigers were so impressed with Inglesias' play as well as his reputation among the other players that they just offered him a one-year deal. That's right, a one-year deal at his age.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Drew is an expensive impediment to Xander Boegarts developement. He should NOT be signed IMO, as Boegarts needs to be playing SS everyday. As much as I have grave doubts about Middlebrooks plate discipline, I'd stick him at 3rd and if he fails to hit (about a 50-50 chance I'd wager), I'd swing a deal for a decent 3rd baseman in July. No....I don't want Xander playing 3rd except to cover with an injury situation on a very limited basis. His value will be as a STUD hitting SS. Drew's a decent player, but Boras values him too highly and he just doesn't fit with us anymore. Time to move on! What complicates my Thesis is the pretty high risk that Bradley struggles to hit as well, which is why I say he needs 1 more year of seasoning in AAA and the Sox should be actively looking for an outfielder. We can't just lose a guy like Ellsbury and pretend it didn't happen. We are less than we were last season, while many competitors have improved. Adding Tanaka could make things damn interesting, making us a dominant pitching team. But there's a 90% chance the Spankees will land him with their reclaimed Arod money, assuming the arbs ruling isn't overturned Tuesday by the courts. We shall see. But as far as Drew...thanks for the memories and for our ring. but it's time to head off into the sunset amigo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If a player has six teams competing for his services, why would that player be in a rush to sign?

Who knows what advice Scott Boras gave Stephen Drew?

Perhaps Drew, who landed a $9.5 million contract last year coming off a negative 0.3 WAR year, thinks he can do better coming off a 3.4 WAR season. For all we know, Drew may have a standing $15 million, one-year offer from the Red Sox or another team.

I'll reserve judgment until Drew signs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I still think he signs with the Mets or Yankees. The Yankees could really use him but they now have 4-5 other guys waiting in the wings just in case. The Arod situation getting cleared up helped a lot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still think he signs with the Mets or Yankees. The Yankees could really use him but they now have 4-5 other guys waiting in the wings just in case. The Arod situation getting cleared up helped a lot.

[/QUOTE]

...helped alot to get Tanaka -- with the help of MLB as far as timing goes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew saved us in a number of games, and I still think the double-plays between him and Pedroia have to be a record. 

The Tigers were so impressed with Inglesias' play as well as his reputation among the other players that they just offered him a one-year deal. That's right, a one-year deal at his age.

[/QUOTE]
    Hmmm,... that's a coincidence. Jeff Bagwell signed a one-year contract his first year in Houston, too. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Drew is an decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year.

[/QUOTE]

No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion.  And a ludicrous one at that, after all the numbers that have been posted here confirming that he was one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Evidently, we would've won two WS last year, if we'd kept Iggy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

cashman and boras are having breakfast this morning....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

Iglesias isn't even eligible for arbitration for another two seasons. It's the norm for a player with his limited service time to be on a one-year deal. Just because the Tigers didn't extend him long-term doesn't mean they don't value him...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Evidently, we would've won two WS last year, if we'd kept Iggy.

[/QUOTE]

The point is; we would have won the World Series anyway. And, we would have saved the 10 mil spent on Drew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think we would have turned more double plays with Iglesias and Pedroia. I think the Tigers are happy with Iglesias. They made no attempt to re-sign Peralta.  Honestly, I would be amazed if they would trade Iglesias straight up for Drew right now.  As far as the one year deal, he is represented by Boras , so he is probably not interested in a longer contract at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

The point is; we would have won the World Series anyway. And, we would have saved the 10 mil spent on Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Complete speculation, and there's evidence to the contrary.  Peavy had a big win in the Rays series.  Iglesias made two errors that contributed to our wins in the ALCS.  Drew made a lot of fine fielding plays throughout the postseason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Complete speculation, and there's evidence to the contrary.  Peavy had a big win in the Rays series.  Iglesias made two errors that contributed to our wins in the ALCS.  Drew made a lot of fine fielding plays throughout the postseason.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you nut.  There is no way one can say we would have won anyway without Drew, because we had him.  One can speculate, but there is no way to know for certain.  Besides the actual on field achievements of each, there are the intangibles of how a player is in the clubhouse, how his presence affects the on field achievements of others and then the domino affect of how that next person's achievements affect anothers.  It is the old butterfly flapping its wings effect.