Boras and Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: Boras and Drew

I like Drew, and he played well for the Sox, but I'm definitely in the let Bogey play camp. I think he should do a 2 year deal with the Mets and be done with it. They'll give him cash on the short deal, and he'll be an everyday player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The point is; we would have won the World Series anyway. And, we would have saved the 10 mil spent on Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Complete speculation, and there's evidence to the contrary.  Peavy had a big win in the Rays series.  Iglesias made two errors that contributed to our wins in the ALCS.  Drew made a lot of fine fielding plays throughout the postseason.

[/QUOTE]

It is very logical speculation. Based on the fact that the vast majority of people in baseball recognize Iglesias as a fantastic defensive shortstop. Certainly better than Drew. Not to mention that Iglesias batted 50 points higher than Drew as well.  I am not trying to kill Drew, who did a decent job for us. Just saying that we win it all with Iglesias at short. And, save the 10 million spent on Drew. As for Peavy, his contributions were minimal. Pitchers with 4 plus ERAs are plentiful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

It is very logical speculation. Based on the fact that the vast majority of people in baseball recognize Iglesias as a fantastic defensive shortstop. Certainly better than Drew. Not to mention that Iglesias batted 50 points higher than Drew as well.  I am not trying to kill Drew, who did a decent job for us. Just saying that we win it all with Iglesias at short. And, save the 10 million spent on Drew. As for Peavy, his contributions were minimal. Pitchers with 4 plus ERAs are plentiful.

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias may turn out to be a fantastic shortstop.  As of 2013, he was a kid who made spectacular plays and some nervous rookie plays, like the two crucial errors he made in the ALCS - in partial playing time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Drew, and he played well for the Sox, but I'm definitely in the let Bogey play camp. I think he should do a 2 year deal with the Mets and be done with it. They'll give him cash on the short deal, and he'll be an everyday player.

[/QUOTE]

I'm in the "let Bogey play camp" too... only I would prefer it be 3B.

I'd have loved to have seen a Iggy SS/Bogey 3B leftside IF this year, but that hope is gone now. 

I understand why the Iggy-Peavy deal was made though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Drew is an decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year.

[/QUOTE]

No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion.  And a ludicrous one at that, after all the numbers that have been posted here confirming that he was one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball last year.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, since the accepted baseline for value is WAR, it is close to fact.

Of course, the facts support Drew as a great value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think we would have turned more double plays with Iglesias and Pedroia. I think the Tigers are happy with Iglesias. They made no attempt to re-sign Peralta.  Honestly, I would be amazed if they would trade Iglesias straight up for Drew right now.  As far as the one year deal, he is represented by Boras , so he is probably not interested in a longer contract at this point.

Assists per inning-Drew

PO s per inning-Drew

Chances per inning-Drew

DP per inning-Drew

Iglesias would've or could've done anything, but Drew had the better objective fielding numbers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Drew is an decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year.

[/QUOTE]

No, it's not a fact, it's an opinion.  And a ludicrous one at that, after all the numbers that have been posted here confirming that he was one of the best all-around shortstops in baseball last year.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of WAR. Not at all interested in figuring salaries based on WAR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think we would have turned more double plays with Iglesias and Pedroia. I think the Tigers are happy with Iglesias. They made no attempt to re-sign Peralta.  Honestly, I would be amazed if they would trade Iglesias straight up for Drew right now.  As far as the one year deal, he is represented by Boras , so he is probably not interested in a longer contract at this point.

Assists per inning-Drew

PO s per inning-Drew

Chances per inning-Drew

DP per inning-Drew

Iglesias would've or could've done anything, but Drew had the better objective fielding numbers.

Iglesias played quite a bit at third base.  If you truly believe that Drew is a better defensive shortstop than Iglesias, so be it.  I don't see it. Not even close.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of WAR. Not at all interested in figuring salaries based on WAR.

[/QUOTE]

I'm open to using different criteria, but his OPS was among the best at SS, and his fielding was excellent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Assists per inning-Drew

PO s per inning-Drew

Chances per inning-Drew

DP per inning-Drew

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias played quite a bit at third base.  If you truly believe that Drew is a better defensive shortstop than Iglesias, so be it.  I don't see it. Not even close.

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias is probably slightly better, but your statement was about having more DPs with Iglesias.  It's not like they played for different teams.  They played in the same field with the same SPs, and Drew had more DPs per inning.

FWIW, I didn't like the trade.  But these trades are almost always couched in terms of 'if we win the WS , it will be worth it'.  Well, we won the WS.

I also wouldn't get too complacent about this year.  Peavy should be better than Dempster, who would otherwise have been our #5.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Assists per inning-Drew

PO s per inning-Drew

Chances per inning-Drew

DP per inning-Drew

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias is probably slightly better, but your statement was about having more DPs with Iglesias.  It's not like they played for different teams.  They played in the same field with the same SPs, and Drew had more DPs per inning.

FWIW, I didn't like the trade.  But these trades are almost always couched in terms of 'if we win the WS , it will be worth it'.  Well, we won the WS.

I also wouldn't get too complacent about this year.  Peavy should be better than Dempster, who would otherwise have been our #5.

[/QUOTE]
    Is this the best we can say now?  That we traded the runner up ROY for a pitcher who should be better than our #5?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't get the rationale of saying that the trade was worth it because we won the WS.  That rationale says that since we don't know what would have happened if we hadn't made the trade and we won the WS it MUST have been a good trade. 

The fact is that the FO blundered into it being a "good trade" because of Iggys error, but for the longer term this trade was a disaster. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Assists per inning-Drew

PO s per inning-Drew

Chances per inning-Drew

DP per inning-Drew

[/QUOTE]

You are basing this on 240 innings by Iggy at SS for the Sox. That's like 26 full games.

I wouldn't call that "objective".

I also wouldn't call it objective to leave out the fact that Drew played in slightly more than 4 times the innings at SS, but made 8 times the errors at SS.

Iggy is clearly a better defensive SS than Drew. Some numbers back this up, but the sample sizes are too small to prove anything on either side of the argument.

UZR/150 shows Iggy at +8.3 and Drew at +6.7.

BIZ           Plays   RZR

Drew     287            226   .788

Iggy         67              55   .821

Increase the sample size to 2012-2013:

Iggy  765 Inn  +18.3 UZR/150

Aviles 1447 Inn +3.3

Drew  1752 Inn -1.4

DRS:

Iggy 7 in 765

Aviles 14 in 1147

Drew -9 in 1752

Drew did a fine job for us last year both defensively and offensively. His O & D numbers combined made him a top 10 SS in 2014.

Iggy was jerked from SS to 3B, without any real chance to learn 3B. He was then traded. I don't think using small sample sizes prove anything for me or you, but I seriously doubt you'd find one MLB scout or GM that would say Drew was even close to Iggy's defensive level.

FYI:

2013 Fielding Bible:

Iggy 9th place with 35 points (Including Bill James having Iggy 2nd)

Drew 15th with 4 points

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm open to using different criteria, but his OPS was among the best at SS, and his fielding was excellent.

If you are going to use Iggy's 240 innings at SS with the Sox against him, then shouldn't you point out that Iggy was a better hitter than Drew for the Sox? (.785 to .777)?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't get the rationale of saying that the trade was worth it because we won the WS.  That rationale says that since we don't know what would have happened if we hadn't made the trade and we won the WS it MUST have been a good trade. 

The fact is that the FO blundered into it being a "good trade" because of Iggys error, but for the longer term this trade was a disaster. 

[/QUOTE]

S5, please tell me Jose Iglesias is your son, then I "might" be able to understand your passion for the guy.  The trade will be a "disaster" long term?!  I appreciate a guy who can play defense as much as the next fan, but there isn't a GM in baseball who would trade the Red Sox current SS (Xander Boegarts) for 9 Jose Iglesiases.  This Sox Front Office values their prospects like gold, so there might just be some red flags with Iglesias.  If he goes on to have a similar career as Omar Vizquel or Ozzie Smith (obviously unlikely), then I still wouldn't call the trade a "disaster."  The trade was the right move at the time, the Sox won it all, and I don't know of anyone in baseball who has criticized the Sox for making that deal.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

S5, please tell me Jose Iglesias is your son, then I "might" be able to understand your passion for the guy.  The trade will be a "disaster" long term?!  I appreciate a guy who can play defense as much as the next fan, but there isn't a GM in baseball who would trade the Red Sox current SS (Xander Boegarts) for 9 Jose Iglesiases.  This Sox Front Office values their prospects like gold, so there might just be some red flags with Iglesias.  If he goes on to have a similar career as Omar Vizquel or Ozzie Smith (obviously unlikely), then I still wouldn't call the trade a "disaster."  The trade was the right move at the time, the Sox won it all, and I don't know of anyone in baseball who has criticized the Sox for making that deal.  

[/QUOTE]

We have to wait for the "longterm" to judge it longterm. It's premature to say the trade was a longterm disaster.

I get the argument about not knowing or thinking Peavy helped us win the ring.

I undertsand why we made the deal with Buch questionable, and Dempster and Doubront nearing their limits, but I still think we'd have been better off with Iggy. It will always be hard to compare what ifs, even 4-6 years down the road. We'll never know what might have happened had we kept Iggy. Would we have still traded for another starter and lost a player that turns out better than Iggy? Would we be looking to trade Middy this winter, so we could go with Iggy at SS and Bogey at 3B? What would we get for Middy? 

It's nearly impossible to know what that deal would have done or not done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

So glad we traded Iggy, he helped us to the World Series by playing for the Tigers and making crucial errors on routine plays.  He's more flash than substance, and he's more than a little enamored with his own fielding prowess, and plays it for the "wows."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We have to wait for the "longterm" to judge it longterm. It's premature to say the trade was a longterm disaster.

I get the argument about not knowing or thinking Peavy helped us win the ring.

I undertsand why we made the deal with Buch questionable, and Dempster and Doubront nearing their limits, but I still think we'd have been better off with Iggy. It will always be hard to compare what ifs, even 4-6 years down the road. We'll never know what might have happened had we kept Iggy. Would we have still traded for another starter and lost a player that turns out better than Iggy? Would we be looking to trade Middy this winter, so we could go with Iggy at SS and Bogey at 3B? What would we get for Middy? 

It's nearly impossible to know what that deal would have done or not done.

[/QUOTE]

Time will tell, but a couple of things to consider.  John Farrell is a great guy, but he's also a "no nonsense" type, which is why it's no secret he wants Drew back.  Give him a guy at SS who is going to make all the plays he should (Drew) over a guy who may or may not try to do much and butcher the routine play every now & again (Iglesias).  

There are people in baseball who feel Iglesias has concentration lapses, which isn't all that unusual with his exceptional talent.  Peavy was rotation insurance, as you mentioned, but it was also a signal to the other 24 guys that said, "We think you can win."  Some people think that doesn't mean much, but some others might disagree...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Assists per inning-Drew

PO s per inning-Drew

Chances per inning-Drew

DP per inning-Drew

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias played many games at third, while Drew played short. It is fair to say that any shortstop will participate in more double plays than any third baseman. Peavy will , without doubt , be better than Dempster. I agree with you on that. But that is not saying much. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

While I like/d the Peavy trade (it was simply prudent to shore up the rotation with Buch out rather than gambling with Workman), I don't think we can use winning the World Series as an argument for it...by that standard, Eric Gagne was a good acquisition. With a 7.11 ERA and 1.58 WHIP in 3 starts, Peavy was a net negative in the postseason no matter how one slices it; we likely could have gotten the same or better from Doubront, Dempster, or Workman. (That does not mean Paevy will not be valuable in 2014, however.)

That said, a lot of people seem to be laboring under the assumption that if we hadn't made the trade, Iglesias would have been playing SS instead of Drew, when in reality his playing time probably would have come at the expense of Middlebrooks and/or Bogaerts. Despite some posters' season-long fantasies of Drew being released/benched/traded/whatever to make way for Iggy, it should have become very clear long before the playoffs that, like it or not, Farrell was going to stick with Drew at SS; for all of the bandwidth spent on the great Iggy vs. Drew debate, it really was pretty settled around midseason when Iggy had effectively been moved to third base.

Now, if the RS wanted to keep Iggy and have him take over SS in 2014, they could have...but I suspect the reason they did not has little to do with Drew and everything to do with the fact that they believe Xander can handle the position and want him to be the SS of the foreseeable future. (Same reason that, although I like Drew, I don't think he should or will be re-signed.) If they think Bogaerts can be a SS and Middlebrooks can make some strides this season (hitting for power while keeping the OBP in at least the .300-.320 range, let's say), then that should be the plan. The question of keeping or losing Iglesias really has far more to do with the future of those two players (plus others still on the farm like Cecchini and Marrero) than with Drew, who was and I still think is likely to remain a 1-year rental for Boston.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Okay, here are Iglesias' numbers at shortstop only (to compare apples to apples) while with Boston (to eliminate the effect of the pitching staffs):

Iglesias:

Assists/Inning: .292

Put Outs/Inning: .142

Chances/Inning: .438

DPs/Inning: .071

Drew:

Assists/Inning: .303

Put Outs/Inning: .161

Chances/Inning: .472

DPs/Inning: .075

Iglesias played 240 innings at short for the Red Sox, Drew 1093 1/3. To repeat, the above numbers only reflect what Iglesias did at ss for Boston, no 3B or 2B numbers are included..

Advantage Drew in all categories, although DPs is basically a wash.

Is Iglesias more spectacular? No doubt. But Drew makes all the plays required and he makes them well.

And for the record, I am not in favor of resigning Drew.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While I like/d the Peavy trade (it was simply prudent to shore up the rotation with Buch out rather than gambling with Workman), I don't think we can use winning the World Series as an argument for it...by that standard, Eric Gagne was a good acquisition. With a 7.11 ERA and 1.58 WHIP in 3 starts, Peavy was a net negative in the postseason no matter how one slices it; we likely could have gotten the same or better from Doubront, Dempster, or Workman. (That does not mean Paevy will not be valuable in 2014, however.)

That said, a lot of people seem to be laboring under the assumption that if we hadn't made the trade, Iglesias would have been playing SS instead of Drew, when in reality his playing time probably would have come at the expense of Middlebrooks and/or Bogaerts. Despite some posters' season-long fantasies of Drew being released/benched/traded/whatever to make way for Iggy, it should have become very clear long before the playoffs that, like it or not, Farrell was going to stick with Drew at SS; for all of the bandwidth spent on the great Iggy vs. Drew debate, it really was pretty settled around midseason when Iggy had effectively been moved to third base.

Now, if the RS wanted to keep Iggy and have him take over SS in 2014, they could have...but I suspect the reason they did not has little to do with Drew and everything to do with the fact that they believe Xander can handle the position and want him to be the SS of the foreseeable future. (Same reason that, although I like Drew, I don't think he should or will be re-signed.) If they think Bogaerts can be a SS and Middlebrooks can make some strides this season (hitting for power while keeping the OBP in at least the .300-.320 range, let's say), then that should be the plan. The question of keeping or losing Iglesias really has far more to do with the future of those two players (plus others still on the farm like Cecchini and Marrero) than with Drew, who was and I still think is likely to remain a 1-year rental for Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So glad we traded Iggy, he helped us to the World Series by playing for the Tigers and making crucial errors on routine plays.  He's more flash than substance, and he's more than a little enamored with his own fielding prowess, and plays it for the "wows."

[/QUOTE]

i fall into this belief as well.  i understand S5's position and his view will take time to prove or disprove as we all watch iggy's career unfold. 

short term...we won the 2013 world championship so it must be considered a "win" for the sox at this moment in time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I wore a blue shirt yesterday. I found a twenty dollar bill. Conclusion: Wearing the blue shirt was a good decision.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

I wore a blue shirt yesterday. I found a twenty dollar bill. Conclusion: Wearing the blue shirt was a good decision.

[/QUOTE]

Got it, correlation doesn't equal causation.

Not much of a response to the numbers posted by illinoisredsox, though.