Boras and Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Boras and Drew

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

And is $2,060,000 really a normal salary for a prospect? I didn't know that. That was his Red Sox salary for 2011, 2012, and 2013. Incredibly, he's making less this year to stay with the Tigers in 2014. Things have changed when he actually started playing, and I believe it has nothing to do with his actual talent.

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias was not a standard prospect because he didn't come out of the regular draft system.  He was a Cuban defector and a free agent, so there was competition for his services.  That's why he got a contract paying him $2 million a year to sign with the Red Sox.  Once that contract expired he's in the same system as other players with his years of MLB experience. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think most of us Iggy fans knew all along that Sox management did not view Iggy in the same light as us. We went with Aviles in 2012and then signed Drew last winter. 

Personally, I am not being critical of Ben. I understand the Iggy-Peavy trade, but I'd rather have had Iggy at SS and Bogey at 3B going forward than 1.3 years of Peavy. Most of you know I am a big fan of great defense at SS, so I may be biased on this issue, but I have said numerous times over the last few years, if we weren't going to give Iggy the FT job, then we should look to trade him. I think 1.3 years of a quality SP, including 2 possible playoff cycles, was a pretty good haul.

Since Iggy was probably never going to be a FT player for the Sox, we basically traded our utility IF'er for a very good SP. One can argue about Ben and John's perception of Iggy as not being worthy of a FT job, and I think they (we) have a valid argument, but I really believe Iggy was never going to be handed the job.

[/QUOTE]

You have been more than fair in your analysis of the trade, Moon.  I can understand being excited by the possibility of a Bogaerts/Iggy left side for many years.  If we did not have such promising prospects waiting in the wings to replace Iglesias, I would have been against the trade when it happened.

I guess I don't understand those who are still complaining about this trade, saying it will hurt us in the long run.  Obviously, we can't assess that for several more years.  But because Iglesias wasn't a big part of the long term plans anyway, I don't see how trading him hurts those long term goals.  IMO, it could even help the team long term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

And the trade absolutely was worth it this year.  The ultimate goal is to win a WS Championship.  Isn't that why the trades are made?

Maybe Peavy wasn't the piece the team needed to seal the championship, but we will never know what would have happened if the trade hadn't been made.

It's not as simple as just looking at Peavy's contributions to the team.  The entire remainder of the season and postseason would have played out differently if Peavy were not added to the roster.

The end result might have been the same, but then again, it might not have.  I will take the WS Championship.  If Iglesias goes on to be a perennial GG All-Star player, I would still make that trade, in hindsight, because it helped win the World Series.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Trade was made because Buchholz was out 3 Months. Usually when the top 2 Starters cannot Pitch 200+ innings, and your in a Pennant Race, good GM's will make a move.

Intresting year for Buchholz for me. More injuries, moves need to be made, Prospects Lost, might not be worth it. Better off bringing up the Kids, to see what they got.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew is an decent ballplayer. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not all that much of a market for his services. Some posters here tend to overrate him and give him far too much credit for the championship season. The fact is that the Sox overpaid him last year. We would have been better off with Iglesias as the shortstop all year. For 2014 , we are better off giving the job to Bogaerts.  As for Boras; don't blame him. He is just doing his job in trying to promote his client.

[/QUOTE]

Drew saved us in a number of games, and I still think the double-plays between him and Pedroia have to be a record. 

The Tigers were so impressed with Inglesias' play as well as his reputation among the other players that they just offered him a one-year deal. That's right, a one-year deal at his age.

[/QUOTE]

I think we would have turned more double plays with Iglesias and Pedroia. I think the Tigers are happy with Iglesias. They made no attempt to re-sign Peralta.  Honestly, I would be amazed if they would trade Iglesias straight up for Drew right now.  As far as the one year deal, he is represented by Boras , so he is probably not interested in a longer contract at this point.

[/QUOTE]

good point on this post and your prior. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess that I would like Boras to work for me if i ever needed an agent, but he is certainly very tiring to listen to about things like "six teams are interested in Drew".

If there were 6 teams interested in Drew he would have been signed by now instead of still talking to the Red Sox regarding their offer which is supposedly to be for one or two years at the most.

Time for Boras to just admit that he counseled Drew improperly, get a contract done somewhere and let the guy get mentally ready to play for whichever team signs him for way less than the 14.1 M that the passed up with the qualifying offer.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt you will ever hear Boras say this and most likely he will once again get top dollar for his agent.  We don't know all the details.  Often, like in the case of Tek, it is the player pushing for the better contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Drew and Boras has nothing to do with anything. It was a plan by Ben, 1 Year deal, in which after it was done, 1 of the kids would take over.
    Drew being a Boras Client, gave him a QO, knowing he would reject it. Draft Pick was part of the plan.
    It was a step by step anticipation by a Smart GM.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

S5 - why does Bogaerts need to be an 'outstanding' defensive SS?  i will take good all day long.....

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say he has to be one.  I only said (IMO) he won't be one but his bat may help make up for that.  Here's a direct quote from that post:

"I like Bogarts bat but I think he's suspect defensively - lacking the tools to be an outstanding SS.  I'm not saying he's going to be a BAD SS once the learning curve is over, but he lacks the tools to be outstanding.  But he'll make up for some of that with his bat."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"I like Bogarts bat but I think he's suspect defensively - lacking the tools to be an outstanding SS.  I'm not saying he's going to be a BAD SS once the learning curve is over, but he lacks the tools to be outstanding.  But he'll make up for some of that with his bat."

BINGO!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Tigers were so impressed with Inglesias' play as well as his reputation among the other players that they just offered him a one-year deal. That's right, a one-year deal at his age.

Dude.

Iggy is not even eligible for his first arb until after 2015.

A one year deal offer says nothing about how Detroit views Iggy longterm. They have 5 years of team control already.

Besides, do you know for a fact that Detroit didn't offer more years, but Iggy turned it down?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would be amazed if they [Detroit] would trade Iglesias straight up for Drew right now.

Even if Drew cost the same as Iggy, I doubt Detroit would make that trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And is $2,060,000 really a normal salary for a prospect? I didn't know that. That was his Red Sox salary for 2011, 2012, and 2013. Incredibly, he's making less this year to stay with the Tigers in 2014. Things have changed when he actually started playing, and I believe it has nothing to do with his actual talent.

[/QUOTE]

Iglesias was not a standard prospect because he didn't come out of the regular draft system.  He was a Cuban defector and a free agent, so there was competition for his services.  That's why he got a contract paying him $2 million a year to sign with the Red Sox.  Once that contract expired he's in the same system as other players with his years of MLB experience. 

[/QUOTE]

I think it's one thing to pay a large salary for MLB ready players, and another to pay a large salary to prospects, who will be prospects for years after. You really don't know how they will do once they're playing in MLB. And that goes for players from the US as well, although I don't believe they get those contracts. JMO

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dude.

Iggy is not even eligible for his first arb until after 2015.

A one year deal offer says nothing about how Detroit views Iggy longterm. They have 5 years of team control already.

Besides, do you know for a fact that Detroit didn't offer more years, but Iggy turned it down?

[/QUOTE]

Dude.

The Sox traded him away. Even though some posters didn't understand why, they, apparently, did. He was on the Tigers for a s h o r t time, and some players were unhappy with him. Those are facts.

If you're still so obsessed with Iggy, you should give him a call and see if he's free next weekend.