Borass... The bidding for Jacoby STARTS at 7/$142

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Borass... The bidding for Jacoby STARTS at 7/$142

Jacoby Ellsbury's agent has benchmarked Carl Crawford's contract as a starting point for the services of his client.  

Too much for the Sox?

Love him... But,  I say yes.  Move on if more than 6/$110 is do-able to keep Jacoby here in Boston.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Borass... The bidding for Jacoby STARTS at 7/$142

this is what an agent should be doing. start high. GMs start low at say 5/75-5/85. they meet somewhere in the middle.

i dont think Ells will land 7 years or 130+ but i would most definitely go 5/100 with 6th year vesting option.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

4 years, $64 million ... don't like it get lost.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

he wont come closeto142

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jacoby Ellsbury's agent has benchmarked Carl Crawford's contract as a starting point for the services of his client.  

Too much for the Sox?

Love him... But,  I say yes.  Move on if more than 6/$110 is do-able to keep Jacoby here in Boston.  

[/QUOTE]

Laughable. Here is my offer: four years at $15M per year with incentives based on playing time that could earn him an extra $3M per year plus a team option for a fifth year. Take it or leave it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think he'll get 140 but I think he'll get north of 100.  Just like last year there's a lot of money chasing not much FA talent.  If BJ Upton can get 75 Ellsbury can get 110.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Apologies to. Flapjack07......

Just saw your link in Softy's survey thread.

Didn't mean to hijack this topic.  Saw a bottom-of-the-screen scroll while watching the Celtics game, and was flabbergasted by the $$$.  My bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As much as I like Ellsbury (stole 52 bases in 56 attempts in 2013 and had a WAR of 5.8), durability is an issue.  In 2010, Ellsbury played in only 18 games and in 2012, he played in only 74 games.

If he finds a better offer than Boston then I wish him the very best.   But the Red Sox have Bradley Jr. as plan B (or sign Beltran to a short-term deal).  Laughing

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guess that most of us agree at about $16 mil. per year for five or six years. Otherwise let him walk.  I totally enjoyed watching Jacoby play for us and hate to see him go. I'll never forget watching him steal home against the Yankees. Great players go to the teams in free agency who care not about risk or finances.

[/QUOTE]

$96 won't get it done.  I say 7/125... and my outside the box prediction is SF.

Just my wild guess.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

I think he'll get his big money. He won't get it in Boston though.

Ellsbury is an elite talent. His injury issues were bad luck and don't reflect on his "durability." But he's a bad bet for long years. His skill set doesn't age well. I think he's worth a very high AAV, but not for more than 5 years. He's going to demand 7+ years, and some team will give it to him. I think he'll top Carl Crawford's contract. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Too much for the Sox?

[/QUOTE]

Laughable. Here is my offer: four years at $15M per year with incentives based on playing time that could earn him an extra $3M per year plus a team option for a fifth year. Take it or leave it.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah,  4/72 mill max is laughable in todays market.  Is he not better than B.J. who got $75...    I think yes.  Try 7/125+.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Guess that most of us agree at about $16 mil. per year for five or six years. Otherwise let him walk.  I totally enjoyed watching Jacoby play for us and hate to see him go. I'll never forget watching him steal home against the Yankees. Great players go to the teams in free agency who care not about risk or finances.

[/QUOTE]

$96 won't get it done.  I say 7/125... and my outside the box prediction is SF.

Just my wild guess.

[/QUOTE]

The Giants just gave 90 million to Pence, so I don't see them committing over 200 million dollars to a couple of outfielders.  I'd be shocked if Ellsbury landed in San Francisco.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Too much for the Sox?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on be realistic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yeahdude320. Show Yeahdude320's posts

Ells will get 7 / $135 for sure . And you know who will sign him ? Theo and the cubbies . Bank on it ! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Too much for the Sox?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah,  4/72 mill max is laughable in todays market.  Is he not better than B.J. who got $75...    I think yes.  Try 7/125+.

[/QUOTE]

Look up Ellsbury's career stats and compare them to Crawford's: very similar. How much would you pay a weak-armed OF with a career OPS of .789 and who has played under 60% of the games he could have played in over the past four years. He is no better than Hunter Pence, who got $18M, which in my proposal Ellsbury could earn if he plays enough of the time. Sure we should keep him: at a fair price.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

he´s better than Upton, as someone mentioned; but 7 years is too much, never again please!

Yankees like Beltran better because a short contract is demanded, so, who will pay that amount? not Seattle, mets are out too, the Cubs? think he wants to go from a champion to a AAA team?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

To benchmark the Crawford contract is disingenuous.

That contract is considered a massive overpay. Crawford may be traded for the second time this offseason, since this contact was done.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

In response to oscars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

To benchmark the Crawford contract is disingenuous.

That contract is considered a massive overpay. Crawford may be traded for the second time this offseason, since this contact was done.

[/QUOTE]

never liked that deal, and now the dodgers dont like it either, they should trade him to the cubs, haha

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Laughable. Here is my offer: four years at $15M per year with incentives based on playing time that could earn him an extra $3M per year plus a team option for a fifth year. Take it or leave it."

It's not even worth making an offer like that, it's a waste of time and an insult to the player. 

I think it's a fair offer but you have to understand the market better than that. Just don't offer him anything at all rather than make a lowball offer that is irrelevant.

"To benchmark the Crawford contract is disingenuous.

That contract is considered a massive overpay"

It indicates that someone was willing to pay and that's the problem. Boras will make the case Ells is a better player than Crawford. Given the money from the TV deal someone will give Ells Crawford money or even higher. 

People doesn't seem to understand: this is not a skills evaluation exercise this is a bidding exercise, in a sport without a salary cap. All it takes is one dope. 

The Yankees themselves will be very tempted

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Here's what I would offer: A free airplane ticket to whichever teams city that is dumb enough to give Jake 7@142. And a Christmas card when he leaves. Boras and his clients are nothing more than greedy pukes! Hopefully Bogaerts dumps him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Whoever signs him for 7 years at whatever the cost will be lucky to get a full 3 healthy seasons.

Whoever signs him for 6 years at whatever the cost will be lucky to get a full 3 healthy seasons.

Whoever signs him for 5 years at whatever the cost will be lucky to get a full 3 healthy seasons.

This is why you offer 4 - take it or leave it.   The annual salary is less important than the length.  I can live with 4/75.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sportswizard1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's what I would offer: A free airplane ticket to whichever teams city that is dumb enough to give Jake 7@142. And a Christmas card when he leaves. Boras and his clients are nothing more than greedy pukes! Hopefully Bogaerts dumps him.

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, the Red Sox get several great years out of Bogaerts with at least another WS Championship.  Hopefully, his stock is high enough at the time of FA to command an outrageous contract, and hopefully, there's another up-and-coming replacement who produces almost as much for a lot less.  

The Red Sox got a very good season out of Ellsbury in 2013, an outstanding one in 2011, and a couple of decent ones while he was still honing his craft.  Now it's time to move on and use the same amount of available money (and a draft pick) to try to replace, or better still, increase that production.  

And so it goes...