Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??

In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East??:
    [QUOTE]I'd take gonzo over teixiera Cano over pedroia i would honestly rather have a young scutaro over an aging injury-prone jeter. Arod over Youk Crawford over gardener. yeah i know. but crawford is still better no matter how bad he did last year. Ells over Grand. Barely Swisher over question mark Ortiz over montero Martin and Salty are a close tie Buccholz, Beckett, and Lester over Cc aND CREW. The bjullpen is about even 8-5 Red Sox. There's a title in our future
    Posted by kangaroo56[/QUOTE]

So, the everyday player positions each get one vote, and all the pitching positions combined get just 4 votes.  Hmmm...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i'm sure there will be heavy debates on whomever they install as the favorites, one thing i do know, it won't be much of a  surprise if they tab either the Yanks or Sox, both have the pedigree of being the hunted...the Sox would surely have the motivation of making right all the proclamations 2011...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

FWIW..WS odds for the ALE-Yanks 5-1 Sox 7-1 Rays 17-1 Jays 75-1 O's 300-1... here's the link for everyone.......http://bleacherreport.com/articles/918262-every-mlb-teams-odds-to-win-the-2012-world-series#/articles/918262-every-mlb-teams-odds-to-win-the-2012-world-series/page/2

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YankeeBill. Show YankeeBill's posts

[QUOTE]FWIW..WS odds for the ALE-Yanks 5-1 Sox 7-1 Rays 17-1 Jays 75-1 O's 300-1... here's the link for everyone....... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/918262-every-mlb-teams-odds-to-win-the-2012-world-series#/articles/918262-every-mlb-teams-odds-to-win-the-2012-world-series/page/2
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I like our chances to repeat

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'd take gonzo over teixiera

This is a no-brainer. We take a slight hit on the SH, but Agon hits lefties well, and he is better on defense. LH arm at 1B is a plus.

Cano over pedroia

Not on your life. Pedey is the heart of the RS and far better defensively IMO than Cano.

i would honestly rather have a young scutaro over an aging injury-prone jeter.

Seriously? Two years younger is a young Scutaro? You favor a utility infielder to a HOFer? To a man, Jeter is the quintessential ballplayer and teammate. He can SS for me anyday.

Arod over Youk

Ability wise I'd have to agree. Character wise, I would want no part of A-Rod.

Crawford over gardener. yeah i know. but crawford is still better no matter how bad he did last year.

Crawford is the better player regardless of last year. But Gardener's peskiness (word?) is admirable and I think he is much quicker than CC.

Ells over Grand. Barely

Not. Granderson strikes out way too much and Ells is a better CF. Hits K's almost equal his hits for his career. And a .267 Career BA is not impressive.
    NY can keep him.

Swisher over question mark.

Ha! I'd take Andruw over ? It appears that the ? will be Sweeney/Aviles/DMAC.

Ortiz over montero

Ortiz over any other DH!

Martin and Salty are a close tie

Is that like marginal precision?  Martin's experience and defense is better.

Buccholz, Beckett, and Lester over Cc aND CREW.

With only 3 SP, I'd have to give the edge to NY right now, and as far as the BP, the Yankees have a better one.

The BP is about even 8-5 Red Sox.
    There's a title in our future.

Maybe, but not this year unless we land a solid #4 and #5 starter. RF, SS and C remain questionable, just as they were in 2011. This team has done nothing so far to improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why are you saying "We"? You are a self admitted Dodgers fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe, but not this year unless we land a solid #4 and #5 starter. RF, SS and C remain questionable, just as they were in 2011. This team has done nothing so far to improve.

While we apparently haven't improved our 4/5 starters, I do think we have done Ok replacing Paps with Bailey & Melancon. Bard and Aceves should do better than Lackey & Wake.

Shoppach is better vs LHPs than VTek and throws better.

Punto and a full year of Aviles is better than the oft-injured Lowrie.

Sweeney is probably better than Reddick (at least vs RHPS).

We're not done yet. Let's give it time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

i'd be willing to trade iglesias, middlebrooks, and brentz for an ace pitcher

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East?? : This is more hostile fandom based inaccuracies by the queen of fiction. She should stick to her support of Pike's revelations about the trufan site, myths about the side board, conspiracy theories, hypocrises, ambushes, and manufactured realities.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Yet another long list from the king of long lists. Yay!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]though nhsteven can be annoying (as I) I certainly would never side with pike on anything.... you have warped values kimsaysthis . pike is a very venomous sub-human species. pike is the kind of guy that if you were in New York and some Yankee hoodlums approached you that you would without hesitation push pike to the ground and run for for your life.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

And some posters have said the same thing to you about Softy. Do you care? No. I have no problem with Pike. Ask Steve how many posters love what he's doing here. Should their opinions matter to me?  Ditto Zac. Everyone makes their own decisions. And I've never been a follower.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

Find it difficult to believe that anyone in their right mind would predict that the Red Sox are the favorites to win the AL East in 2012.  Given the fact that they have only won the division once in the last 16 years, the odds would seem to be against them although they have often been favored "on paper" more often than not in recent years.  I don't think that they have necessarily "improved" the team by replacing Papelbon with Bailey, Bard/Wheeler with Melancon, Lowrie with Punto, Varitek with Shoppach and Reddick/Drew with Sweeney.  At best, they have simply cut payroll by not re-signing Papelbon to the type of contract he earned and received from the Phillies.   

Obviously the Red Sox will compete effectively for the wildcard as they always do and the addition of the Angels into the mix should serve to add an element of excitement that has been missing as the focus has repeatedly been on the 3 AL East teams claiming two postseason spots.  Injuries are certainly a factor especially to pitchers, but I think that the 162 game schedule in baseball helps to minimize that random element of "bad luck" more than in any other sport and that good teams can and often do make adjustments to address them. 

Those who are looking at the macro number of runs scored by the 2011 team and trying to draw comfort from it in terms of offensive production should consider the fact that most of the Sox damage was done against the Jays (10 and 8 record with 137 runs scored versus 77 runs against) and the Orioles (10 and 8 with 118 runs scored versus 92 runs against).  The only team that the Yankees scored 100 plus runs against was the Orioles (122 runs scored and 72 runs against), but they dominated them 13 to 5 in wins versus losses.  The Red Sox were -39 in runs scored against the Rays and -8 against the Rangers two teams which the Yankees outscored during the regular season by 40 runs collectively (3 and +37).  That's a huge difference and gives some insight as to why the Yankees were easily able to win the AL East besides the fact that they had the best bullpen in the league in 2011.  One would hard pressed in early January to argue that the Red Sox bullpen is even slightly better heading into the 2012 season than it was last year. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

The yankees red sox rays jays and the orioles after closing of last season no team is favor to win. I think this was the most improve division and toughest teams. I myself is red sox fan from southern Ontario played a lot of baseball as teen in the seventies. I go to Blue Jay games and have tickets for the Red Sox And Jays home opener in Toronto can't wait. I love baseball season especially live gms.and I am planning a trip to Boston but tickets are hard to come buy but working on it.

The Jays will be better team and Orioles will be a better improvement, and the  Yankees can never leave them out and last minute Rays will make this  eastern div. unpredictable and as usual exciting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]The yankees red sox rays jays and the orioles after closing of last season no team is favor to win. I think this was the most improve division and toughest teams. I myself is red sox fan from southern Ontario played a lot of baseball as teen in the seventies. I go to Blue Jay games and have tickets for the Red Sox And Jays home opener in Toronto can't wait. I love baseball season especially live gms.and I am planning a trip to Boston but tickets are hard to come buy but working on it. The Jays will be better team and Orioles will be a better improvement, and the  Yankees can never leave them out and last minute Rays will make this  eastern div. unpredictable and as usual exciting.
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

Are Canadian residents allowed to get Satellite TV. If so, do you subscribe to DirecTV MLB Extra Innings?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Stupid, inane, words that come to mind for this thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East?? : Jete,   Perspective, perspective, perspective ... to Sox fans like me, they ARE always the Masters of the Universe.  All others are mearly necessary parts so the universe can function.   That doesn't mean the universe doesn't bite sometimes, just that all theother parts exist so we can enjoy being Sox fans.   :o)
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]LOL...duly noted sir..Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Largely depends on #4 and #5........who will they be? And we are also assuming Buch will return to his 2010 form. The pitching failed us in September and we have really done nothing to improve it, except swap Pap for Bailey, and Melancon for Bard (maybe), and I don't see any improvement here, maybe even a downgrade, and lost a potential premier RFer in the process for another singles hitter in Sweeney.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I agree bro, #4 & 5 starters need substantial improvement.
    Sox really uoght to pick up Oswalt, he is worth 1 year/ 7.5 Million,
    maybe more! Bot if Cherington doesnt make a serious move now,
    this club could easily choke again, I cant forget how we were #1
    offense in AL, until we werent, "#1 starting five" ubtil July or so,
    Sox are formidable, but must add a 13-15 game winner type IMO!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Find it difficult to believe that anyone in their right mind would predict that the Red Sox are the favorites to win the AL East in 2012.  Given the fact that they have only won the division once in the last 16 years, the odds would seem to be against them although they have often been favored "on paper" more often than not in recent years.  I don't think that they have necessarily "improved" the team by replacing Papelbon with Bailey, Bard/Wheeler with Melancon, Lowrie with Punto, Varitek with Shoppach and Reddick/Drew with Sweeney.  At best, they have simply cut payroll by not re-signing Papelbon to the type of contract he earned and received from the Phillies.    Obviously the Red Sox will compete effectively for the wildcard as they always do and the addition of the Angels into the mix should serve to add an element of excitement that has been missing as the focus has repeatedly been on the 3 AL East teams claiming two postseason spots.  Injuries are certainly a factor especially to pitchers, but I think that the 162 game schedule in baseball helps to minimize that random element of "bad luck" more than in any other sport and that good teams can and often do make adjustments to address them.  Those who are looking at the macro number of runs scored by the 2011 team and trying to draw comfort from it in terms of offensive production should consider the fact that most of the Sox damage was done against the Jays (10 and 8 record with 137 runs scored versus 77 runs against) and the Orioles (10 and 8 with 118 runs scored versus 92 runs against).  The only team that the Yankees scored 100 plus runs against was the Orioles (122 runs scored and 72 runs against), but they dominated them 13 to 5 in wins versus losses.  The Red Sox were -39 in runs scored against the Rays and -8 against the Rangers two teams which the Yankees outscored during the regular season by 40 runs collectively (3 and +37).  That's a huge difference and gives some insight as to why the Yankees were easily able to win the AL East besides the fact that they had the best bullpen in the league in 2011.  One would hard pressed in early January to argue that the Red Sox bullpen is even slightly better heading into the 2012 season than it was last year. 
    Posted by samclemens[/QUOTE]

You wont find a bigger RS fan than me, but obviously the posters who predict our
     first place finish in AL East 2012 have done so each of the previous 15  years. Truth is, our titles have come with clubs who were not favored for greatness by pundits. SO, last years "favorite to win WS" was like the kiss of death for the Red Sox. Most of us love the sox, lets not bury them with unreasonable expectations AND lets get OSWALT in Boston already!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bosox favorites again in the A.L. East?? : I agree bro, #4 & 5 starters need substantial improvement. Sox really uoght to pick up Oswalt , he is worth 1 year/ 7.5 Million , maybe more! Bot if Cherington doesnt make a serious move now, this club could easily choke again, I cant forget how we were #1 offense in AL, until we werent, "#1 starting five" ubtil July or so, Sox are formidable, but must add a 13-15 game winner type IMO!
    Posted by DeweyCBoston[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe you two can go cry together somewhere. Somewhere, of couse, being not here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4416657. Show user_4416657's posts

[QUOTE]Note: Third place was one game worst than second place and decided in the last inning of game 162 by strange happenings in Baltimore and Tampa Bay. One could rationalize it as second place easily.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Rationalizations don't make the postseason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I started the thread and the article is written by a Red Sox fan on the Bleacher Report. It is just one Red Sox fan's opinion and might be irrational exuberance, optimism, or hope. I was just adding to the pot that is stirred here daily and the ingredients seem to be predominately donated by pessimists. In the hope of giving the soup a better flavor I merely added a few pinches of optimism. I felt at liberty to do so since the pot is located in the Boston Common and not in Central Park.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]If the Sox can pull off a Garza trade, you can lock em up as the favorites for next year... Assuming Buchholz is healthy.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I think you locked them up last year too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Does anyone know the difference between a camel walk and an elephant walk? The appropriate picture for an avatar might shed some light on it.