Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/offseason-outlook-boston-red-sox.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

Here is a nice summation of the issues the Sox must resolve going into 2012.

My Thoughts

1) They certainly downplay the need for starting pitching. Multiple FA and trade options on the market.

2) They don't advocate for the Red Sox overcommitting to Ortiz. I agree with this and I would handle his negotiations in the same manner by offering arbitration first and going from there.

3) No mention of trading Youk. I also agree. I like Youkilis for one more year as the Sox 3B with some time split at DH (if Ortiz goes)

4) They predict Papelbon does not return and that Bard takes over at closer. Wouldn't surprise me, but I think Papelbon returns.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR

In Response to Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR:
    [QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/offseason-outlook-boston-red-sox.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29 Here is a nice summation of the issues the Sox must resolve going into 2012. My Thoughts 1) They certainly downplay the need for starting pitching. Multiple FA and trade options on the market. 2) They don't advocate for the Red Sox overcommitting to Ortiz. I agree with this and I would handle his negotiations in the same manner by offering arbitration first and going from there. 3) No mention of trading Youk. I also agree. I like Youkilis for one more year as the Sox 3B with some time split at DH (if Ortiz goes) 4) They predict Papelbon does not return and that Bard takes over at closer. Wouldn't surprise me, but I think Papelbon returns.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

I don't advocate over-committing to ortiz.  But, the thought of Ortiz going to the Jays frightens me.  Bautista-Ortiz in the middle of that line-up sounds like a recipe for AL East agony for the Red sox next summer.

Agree on Youk.  he gets one more year at 3rd to prove he can play there and be effective/stay healthy.  he has earned that.

I agree with downplaying the need for starting pitching.  Given that your CJ Wilsons are going to be way overpaid, and the trade-worthy guys are really not strong enough to merit the likely big chips the sox would have to give up, AND the fact that the answers are right there staring at us in the face, in-house, I say lets not get carried away.  Beckett/Lester/Buccholz, beer and chicken or no beer and chicken, is still a real nice place to start.  Move Aceves into the rotation.  he has earned it.  He will be nails.  May not be an ace, but dude is going to compete.  Then, why not re-up Bedard in the five spot?  Go out and get some relatively low-cost depth there, and spend the dough on some serious bullpen arms. 

As for Bard and Papelbon.  I want Paps back.  But the cost may be prohibitive, and, though i don't know what the ceiling is financially on signing him, I do know there is a ceiling.  Because Bard, late-season gaffes and all, is a worthwhile closer candidate, still with upside and under team control for peanuts.  I wouldn't have a problem with that ... as long as they stock the pen a little better than they did last year.  At the end of the day, Bobby Jenks was as bad a signing as any.  The writing was on the wall I guess.  Need a Madsen or such.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

You can't offer Papi arbitration   he's a free agent    you have an exclusive period  for nailing him down  before he talks to other teams.

Youk  if you can convince  another organization he's healthy   hes missed  chunks of the last  2 seasons    see what the market will bring.. If  you could get   an everyday player in return   or  2-3  young prospects,,,  do it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR:
    [QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/offseason-outlook-boston-red-sox.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29 Here is a nice summation of the issues the Sox must resolve going into 2012. My Thoughts 1) They certainly downplay the need for starting pitching. Multiple FA and trade options on the market. 2) They don't advocate for the Red Sox overcommitting to Ortiz. I agree with this and I would handle his negotiations in the same manner by offering arbitration first and going from there. 3) No mention of trading Youk. I also agree. I like Youkilis for one more year as the Sox 3B with some time split at DH (if Ortiz goes) 4) They predict Papelbon does not return and that Bard takes over at closer. Wouldn't surprise me, but I think Papelbon returns.

I hope that Papelbon resigns with the Red sox.  The Red Sox definitely need to add at least one additional starting pitcher. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

They need at minimum a decent RH bat to platoon in RF. 

Josh, Jon, Clay, Aceves, ______,________.  Dice-K can hopefully fill one of those blanks by June but they need to have at least 2 more viable options at starter going into ST.

If Aceves is moved to the rotation and Papelbon does in fact go, the Bullpen is in need of serious attention. 

Either Youk or Papi has to stay, unless Youk brings a solid bat back in return.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

If not Papelbon, then go get Heath Bell. I don't want Bard as closer. In Response to Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I'm warming up ton the idea of Youk, Gonz, and Aramis Ramirez interchanging with DH 3b and 1b. That could work nicely if Ramirez puts up the numbers he did last year, and I think he could do even better with the Monster looming in left.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Red Sox Offseason Outlook per MLBTR:
    [QUOTE]You can't offer Papi arbitration   he's a free agent    you have an exclusive period  for nailing him down  before he talks to other teams. Youk  if you can convince  another organization he's healthy   hes missed  chunks of the last  2 seasons    see what the market will bring.. If  you could get   an everyday player in return   or  2-3  young prospects,,,  do it...
    Posted by jackyldo[/QUOTE]
    A team can offer one of its pending free agents arbitration. If the player is a Type A or Type B free agent, the team collects a draft pick or two if the player declines the offer of arbitration and signs elsewhere.

I suspect the Red Sox will make an offer of arbitration to David Ortiz, a Type A free agent who potentially could bring back two draft picks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Here is a FanGraphs analysis of the Top 50 free agents (with links to further analysis):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/top-50-free-agents/