Boston Red Sox talked to Masahiro Tanaka's agent, meeting possible

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Boston Red Sox talked to Masahiro Tanaka's agent, meeting possible

i think alot of people believe tanaka is the real deal and will be a front of the rotation mlb starter. Scouts have said his splitter could be the better than any pitcher currently in the majors. And i think his splitter (on top of many other factors) is what seperates him from dice k. Dice k had no clear out pitch, he threw lots of pitches but could not confidently throw most of them for strikes. Tanaka not only has a devistating splitter, he consistantly can throw it for a strike. I think if the sox really want tanaka, they can get him for the following reasons:

1) World Series Champs - based on this we offer him the best chance to win 

2) Clubhouse - we have a great clubhouse atmosphere and have koji/tazawa/ already on board and watanabe/otake in camp. Also the history of success of asian pitchers in boston cannot be overlooked. dice k had 2 good years, okajima, taz, koji, nomo.

3) Money - we can offer him what any other team offers 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have taken the time to help ease Asian players' transition to MLB here. We have players who are happy playing and WINNING here. You can't say that would not be part of the consideration for another player coming here. I think, whether we win him over or not, that has to give us some advantage. And, hopefully, if it winds up being a tough decision, it puts us over the top.

Just think, if we are successful in these negotiations, it might also put us ahead of the competition for other talented Asian players in the future. Along with keeping him from helping our number one rival, not having to face him ourselves, and benefitting our staff, we can add that to the list of why this acquisition is such an advantageous move for the team. Win-win-win-win.

[/QUOTE]

Kim. While I agree tentatively with you, what you are saying is almost exactly what was said on these boards for Dice K. Especially the second paragraph. And yes, I was here then, under a different name that I never could seem to reclaim when they switched the boards way back when.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jason Mastrodonato of MassLive.com 

[/QUOTE]

Tanaka most likely will go to the Yankees.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

As others have said, it's not the cost per year that is the issue, it will be the number of years that will keep the Sox from being serious pursuers.  There will be some players for whom the Sox should open the vault, but IMO, Tanaka is not one of them.  Especially since the team is already deep in starting pitching.

With Arod being suspended for the entire season, the price of Tanaka just went up.  I was pretty sure the Yankees would land him before.  Now I'm 99% positive.  

All that said, it would be somewhat negligent for the Sox FO not to at least gauge what Tanaka's interest is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

while the sox have been careful about giving out long term deals to free agents, tanaka could/should very well be the exception. why? age. He just turned 25, so if we say signed him for 7 years (which is whats rumoured to be the projected length of contract he is looking for) he would be 32 by the end of his contract. Most free agent front of the rotation starters dont hit free agency till 28-32 age range. usually 30-31 is most likely. signing a pitcher at that age till there late 30's is way more risky. Looking at next years free agent crop, there could be some big names available, kershaw/shields/scherzer/lester are all slated to be free agents. No way do the dodgers let kershaw go. the way they spend money, no way they let the best pitcher in baseball walk. shields is good, but not what the sox need and could very well be resigned as well. scherzer is will likely re-up with the tigers, if he doesnt then he will be traded to a team that can afford to resign him by the deadline. that leaves lester who we will likely re-sign. we have tons of money coming off the books after this year, but chances are there wont be guys next year to spend it on besides lester. The other arguement is that we have lots of pitching prospects, but the reality is, they are just prospects until they prove themselves at the big league level. Look at guys like andrew miller, phil hughes, craig hansen, rick porcello etc. all were tops prospects but didnt pan out. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

while the sox have been careful about giving out long term deals to free agents, tanaka could/should very well be the exception. why? age. He just turned 25, so if we say signed him for 7 years (which is whats rumoured to be the projected length of contract he is looking for) he would be 32 by the end of his contract. Most free agent front of the rotation starters dont hit free agency till 28-32 age range. usually 30-31 is most likely. signing a pitcher at that age till there late 30's is way more risky. Looking at next years free agent crop, there could be some big names available, kershaw/shields/scherzer/lester are all slated to be free agents. No way do the dodgers let kershaw go. the way they spend money, no way they let the best pitcher in baseball walk. shields is good, but not what the sox need and could very well be resigned as well. scherzer is will likely re-up with the tigers, if he doesnt then he will be traded to a team that can afford to resign him by the deadline. that leaves lester who we will likely re-sign. we have tons of money coming off the books after this year, but chances are there wont be guys next year to spend it on besides lester. The other arguement is that we have lots of pitching prospects, but the reality is, they are just prospects until they prove themselves at the big league level. Look at guys like andrew miller, phil hughes, craig hansen, rick porcello etc. all were tops prospects but didnt pan out. 

[/QUOTE]

There are several pros for signing Tanaka, which you and others have pointed out.  I don't think the Sox are going to be able to outbid the Yankees.  The Yankees have a dire need for SP.  That, plus having money to spend, will be difficult to outdo, IMO.

Even if the Sox could outbid the other teams, I don't think they would go 7 years for him, and I don't think they should.  While he will likely be a very good pitcher, the fact that he has never pitched in the majors, coupled with all the innings he has pitched, leaves me leery of signing him for that kind of money.

I really would like to see some team other than the Yankees get him though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are several pros for signing Tanaka, which you and others have pointed out.  I don't think the Sox are going to be able to outbid the Yankees.  The Yankees have a dire need for SP.  That, plus having money to spend, will be difficult to outdo, IMO.

Even if the Sox could outbid the other teams, I don't think they would go 7 years for him, and I don't think they should.  While he will likely be a very good pitcher, the fact that he has never pitched in the majors, coupled with all the innings he has pitched, leaves me leery of signing him for that kind of money.

I really would like to see some team other than the Yankees get him though.

[/QUOTE]

i agree.

Even 7 years would be pushing it.

He's only 25, but his arm not, by American minor league system standards.

The Yankees may want to look at the Ranger's program for Darvish, before they "Joba Rules" the kid to death, if they sign him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

So it appears he could go to the RS after all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd have to say L.A. is the most likely destination point right now. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

David Waldstein ‏@DavidWaldstein 2h

Consensus in Japan right now is that Yankees and Dodgers are favorites on Tanaka and

[b] word is his wife prefers to be on West Coast.[/b]

''time 2 find out if he's a man or a wuss''

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

David Waldstein ‏@DavidWaldstein 2h

Consensus in Japan right now is that Yankees and Dodgers are favorites on Tanaka and

[b] word is his wife prefers to be on West Coast.[/b]

''time 2 find out if he's a man or a wuss''

[/QUOTE]

Ironically, it was Mrs. Tex that landed him in pinstripes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Ironically, it was Mrs. Tex that landed him in pinstripes

exactly space;-)

hence the expression

what goes around comes around ;-(

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ironically, it was Mrs. Tex that landed him in pinstripes

exactly space;-)

hence the expression

what goes around comes around ;-(

[/QUOTE]

gotcha