Bradley, Jr. needs more time in the minors

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Bradley, Jr. needs more time in the minors

Like a child waiting for Christmas in November.  Geez, it's only until May 1st.  Cinderella's cleats should still fit then too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Softy--that was a very positive statement about JBJ and "three outstanding veteran outfielders."

JBJ will be 23 in April and played college ball at the the Univ. of South Carolina.

Mike Trout will turn 22 in August and has been producing at a very high level since he arrived on the scene. What's to wait for--JBJ knows how to play the game. Without Ortiz in the lineup they may have to play more small ball. With Ells, Vic, Pedroia and JBJ in the lineup to cause havoc and Nap, Salty, Gomes and WMB as a power supply in addition to a solid pen and some decent starting pitching-the Sox may be able to stay in the hunt until Ortiz is ready by the All Star break.

In an ideal world perhaps send your best ST hitter to the minors--but they are sending one of their stars to rehab for a couple of months. I think I read someplace that if this injury is Achilles related and Ortiz misses a month or two the contract for year 1 is reduced by a few Mill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Please let's not compare JBJ to Mike Trout.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nobody does sarcasm like Softy.  He's the best.  What a great poster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Not really comparing the two other than age and previous experience.

Look at the Angels in 2012---sent Trout to the minors called him up in May , perhaps late April. 

In any event he missed 23 games last season they missed the WC by 4 games. No telling if he had been there from day 1 of 2012 if it would have made a difference. They did win 89 games--how many more might he have helped them win?

I feel if you put your best 25 players out there you have your best chance of winning than if you put your best 20 something. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Not really comparing the two other than age and previous experience.

Look at the Angels in 2012---sent Trout to the minors called him up in May , perhaps late April. 

In any event he missed 23 games last season they missed the WC by 4 games. No telling if he had been there from day 1 of 2012 if it would have made a difference. They did win 89 games--how many more might he have helped them win?

I feel if you put your best 25 players out there you have your best chance of winning than if you put your best 20 something. 

And the Angels saved a year of control over Trout in doing so.

The Sox should do the same with JBJ. Let play in AAA and see how he, and the guys in Boston do in the first couple of months.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

So let me get this straight, JBJ has the talent and skill to play in MLB.  JBJ should be kept in the minors to learn more about playing baseball, honing his talents or skills?  I wonder if Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffy Jr. or Willie Mays would have suffered the same thought affliction?  Oh yes ok,  JBJ is no Trout, certainly no Mantle, Griffy Jr. or Mays, but if he is showing he is ready let him play.  The Red Sox are going to be a .500 team anyway, JBJ can learn in the majors.  

Mays had 1 hit in his first 25 at bats, my goodness he would be in the minors today with the above logic.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

suggesting a player who showed holes in double A last year is MLB ready because he is smashing it in spring training is just ill informed.  Has he proved he is good, promising, and capable of continuing an aggressive path YES! but that doesn't mean we should just jump him from a half season of AA ball to the big leagues.  Let him start the season in AAA, see more pitches in real live game action from better competition and let him get a call up mid season (possibly earlier if injurys). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know it's easy to get excited with young players, but there is more to determining if a player is ready than just scouting the box scores and seeing good numbers. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

So let me get this straight, JBJ has the talent and skill to play in MLB.  JBJ should be kept in the minors to learn more about playing baseball, honing his talents or skills?  I wonder if Mickey Mantle, Ken Griffy Jr. or Willie Mays would have suffered the same thought affliction?  Oh yes ok,  JBJ is no Trout, certainly no Mantle, Griffy Jr. or Mays, but if he is showing he is ready let him play.  The Red Sox are going to be a .500 team anyway, JBJ can learn in the majors.  

Mays had 1 hit in his first 25 at bats, my goodness he would be in the minors today with the above logic.  

Spring Training sucess does not guarantee ML sucess.

He hasn't played a single game at AAA, neven mind the majors

He's not quite 23.

Can we let him tear up Pawtucket for a couple of months, before giving him a starting job?

If the Sox are going to be a .500 club anyway, you're wasting a year of control, so he can learn.

Not a good strategy, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I guess the date for the extra year is April 23?

My heart says to hell with the date, put the kid in the starting lineup April 1st!

My head says we will likely be waiting most of the season??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Review Dustin Pedroia: Drafted in 2004--Maj. League call-up '06.

Plays 139 games hits .317 in '07. Sox sign him to a 6 year deal in '08  for $40 M. Enough of the TEAM CONTROL. They recognized talent and signed him buying out the Arb Years.

JBJ is the same age-both played at good baseball universities--granted he is a Boras client--this kid may be a bust or the opportunity arises and the Marlins want JBJ, Xander, RDLR and Barnes for Stanton---then let someone else worry about Boras and the Team Control years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It's doesn't matter he showed some holes in minor leagues.  He's the best player in ST right now.  Not Mike Trout, not Bryce Harper.  saying JBJ is not ready is just disrepecting his hardwork.  Who cares if it's ST?  He's working his @$$ off proving that he knows how to play and get love from the fans.  His OBP is over .610 for cry sake.  He deserves his chance more than anyone on the team right now and the fans deserve to see him against the Yankees on 4/1.  Since when was baseball about controlling young players under team's control?  If he showed he can help the team, then he has every right to play for the major league team.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

He's not quite 23.

Can we let him tear up Pawtucket for a couple of months, before giving him a starting job?

If the Sox are going to be a .500 club anyway, you're wasting a year of control, so he can learn.

AAA success does not always guarantee ML success either. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

He's not quite 23.

AAA success does not always guarantee ML success either. 

Neither does spring training, or double A, or single A for that matter.  But what else do we have to go on? without any scouting reports or insight from those in the know, we are all just box score scouting here.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Bradley Jr. doesn't necessarily need more time in the minors, although the fact is that he hasn't even played a single inning above AA. He does need to continue to adjust to the longer professional season as his offensive production really fell off last year once he exceeded the length of a college season. He also needs to play CF every day, which he won't do if he opens the season in Boston unless there's a very significant injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Bradley Jr. doesn't necessarily need more time in the minors, although the fact is that he hasn't even played a single inning above AA. He does need to continue to adjust to the longer professional season as his offensive production really fell off last year once he exceeded the length of a college season. He also needs to play CF every day, which he won't do if he opens the season in Boston unless there's a very significant injury.

Just because a player happens to have a slump at the end of a season, does not prove he can't handle a long season. I'm not saying you are wrong, but players slump all the time for various reasons.

I agree that he should play CF, but there is another way to make that happen other than injury: trade Ellsbury while the draft pick is still in play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Just because a player happens to have a slump at the end of a season, does not prove he can't handle a long season. I'm not saying you are wrong, but players slump all the time for various reasons.

I agree that he should play CF, but there is another way to make that happen other than injury: trade Ellsbury while the draft pick is still in play.

I wasn't saying he can't handle a long season. I was saying that last year was his first long season and that he started out in Portland much like he has in ST this year and as the season wore on he injured his ankle and slumped. As for trading Ellsbury before the season starts, I'm pretty sure you know how I feel about selling low on him. If we could move Gomes (the one signing this winter I really didn't understand) then you could move Ells to LF and have JBJ play CF. In any case I don't think it would be good for the team or his development to have Jackie playing a position other than CF.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Why does he need to spend time in CF with Ells playing CF in Boston? He still has two plus weeks of ST where he will see ML pitchers every day as  ST winds down. ST might be a chance for him to get comfortable with all three OF positions. It would be unusual for players to skip AAA and go from AA to the Majors, it would not be unprecedented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_players_who_went_directly_to_the_major_leagues

I could not find a list of players that have moved from AA to the Majors--perhaps someone may have that list available. There are some pretty impressive names of players that have gone directly to the majors. Today with larger bonuses and greater investments in the players teams want to error on the side of  caution.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Why does he need to spend time in CF with Ells playing CF in Boston? He still has two plus weeks of ST where he will see ML pitchers every day as  ST winds down. ST might be a chance for him to get comfortable with all three OF positions. It would be unusual for players to skip AAA and go from AA to the Majors, it would not be unprecedented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baseball_players_who_went_directly_to_the_major_leagues

I could not find a list of players that have moved from AA to the Majors--perhaps someone may have that list available. There are some pretty impressive names of players that have gone directly to the majors. Today with larger bonuses and greater investments in the players teams want to error on the side of  caution.

He needs to play CF because he's already a gold glove caliber CF and will probably only get better. Now don't get me wrong because I really like Ellsbury, but he will never be the CF JBJ is already. He gets bad reads on balls, although to be fair, he's been able to make up for that flaw with his wheels so far. He also has a very weak arm. I think this is his last year in Boston, but if he stays I think it's as a LF not CF. As far as guys making the jump from AA, I know Bob Stanley did it, and Tony C came straight up from A ball. I can't really think of any modern examples though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Other teams are willing to take a risk with their prospects but not the RS. Risk is not in their vocabulary.

They would rather waste money on a bunch of washed up has-beens than let guys like Bradley and Iggy, and even Lavarnway, play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I posted yesterday that we need to see what happens the rest of ST when JBJ is facing the pitchers going north with their clubs and those pitchers are throwing all theri pitches....JF said that yesterday so it would seem to me that he hasnt ruled out the possibility of JBJ making the team. I am all for lettign our baseball guys decide whther JBJ needs more AB's in AAA, but please stop with the year of Control stuff.....the Sox are not the Royals or the Rays....this team has the resources to sign players long term well before their FA year.....if a player is judged good enough to be a everyday starter on a team that does not have 3 OF's who are everyday starters, then finances be darned....this is a team which is desperate need of a good start to the season or the media hounds willl be all over them...if JBJ can be the difference between a 16-11 April and a 13-14 April he should be on the team.....and since he adds superior OF defense to whoever would replace him.....superior speed to whoever would replace him and probably superior OBP numbers to his replacement, personally I think he should.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Most real stars make the jump from AA. No need for him to go to AAA.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't think Bradley would have any problem playing right or left for the time being and moving back to center at some point. It's not that big a deal. His defense is not ever going to be a problem.  The main thing is that he plays every day against good pitching. Right now, he looks like is ready to play every day for the Sox.  They will probably do the expected and send him down for more " seasoning " , but I think he has earned a shot to start in Boston. It is not as if he is some unknown who is having a hot spring. This is what we have been expecting from him.  Putting our best team on the field should trump long  term player control issues.