Bradley, Jr. needs more time in the minors

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Bradley, Jr. needs more time in the minors

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Does anyone know what "numerous times" means in numbers? Is it more than three, or more than four? We have a poster who has seen Bradley, Jr. misplay balls "numerous times", which refutes manager John's comments about how impressed he is with Bradley's instincts as a CF'er.

The way for Bradley to get better is to remember that spring training hitting is not AA hitting. Same for fielding. He needs to go back to AA and correct what he was doing wrong, there. Spring training means nothing, other than it shows a young player with no MLB experience needs to go back to AA or AAA and get more "seasoning". Numerous times, I have seen players MLB careers destroyed because they were started in MLB too early without enough minor league seasoning.

One can have good instincts and still misplay fly balls numerous times.

Let me let you in on a secret.  It really doesn't matter much whether Bradley starts the season in Boston or at AAA. 

you know this right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Three cheers for Softy's masterful use of sarcasm in this thread.

I dislike it. It is so boring it is impossible to wade through long enough to make fun of him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We weren't going to seriously compete even with a totally healthy Papi, so giving the kids a chance made the most sense. However, at this point, what difference does it really make if JBJ plays on the big club in April or June? We're not trading Ellsbury, so the "give the kids a chance" plan will be put on hold.

I do think it's a bit funny that some of the posters defending all the winter signings are now scrambling to find ways to trade players, move players to new positions, or even using guys like Drew at DH.

If things work out a certain way, we may be able to get some good prospects for Drew, SV, Dempster, Gomes, and maybe Salty. We could end up finishing the season with this:

C: Ross/Lava/Vazquez (Salty?)

1B: Napoli/Gomez

2B: Pedey

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Iggy/Ciriaco  

LF: Linares/Nava

CF: Bradley

RF: Brentz/Sweeney

DH: Rotate

SP: Lester, Buch, Lackey, Doub, Webster (DLR/Tazawa/?)

RP: same

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Third week of April means he hits free agency a year earlier.  Before mid-June means an extra year of arb.  These are two different things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

One can have good instincts and still misplay fly balls numerous times.

Great point, which is why your eye test is a more accurate measure of Manager John's eye test. And the "numerous times" is the tipping point.

Let me let you in on a secret.  It really doesn't matter much whether Bradley starts the season in Boston or at AAA. 

you know this right?

Yes, now that you have said so. And the key to your great point is "doesn't matter much", which means it only matter a little.

Correct. It does matter a little.  Not much.

And me being present when I have seen Bradley misplay numerous fly balls has nothing to do with a managers assessment of his ability.

Another year of me helping you wade through things you do not understand.  Another year of you becoming angry and being banned 4 to 5 times.

Happy spring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We weren't going to seriously compete even with a totally healthy Papi, so giving the kids a chance made the most sense. However, at this point, what difference does it really make if JBJ plays on the big club in April or June? We're not trading Ellsbury, so the "give the kids a chance" plan will be put on hold.

I do think it's a bit funny that some of the posters defending all the winter signings are now scrambling to find ways to trade players, move players to new positions, or even using guys like Drew at DH.

If things work out a certain way, we may be able to get some good prospects for Drew, SV, Dempster, Gomes, and maybe Salty. We could end up finishing the season with this:

C: Ross/Lava/Vazquez (Salty?)

1B: Napoli/Gomez

2B: Pedey

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Iggy/Ciriaco  

LF: Linares/Nava

CF: Bradley

RF: Brentz/Sweeney

DH: Rotate

SP: Lester, Buch, Lackey, Doub, Webster (DLR/Tazawa/?)

RP: same

Right. It makes no difference at all. Which is why it doesn't hurt at all to give Bradley another few months in the minors. But if he starts the season with Boston that is fine too.

Bradley is not going to make or break this team either way.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does anyone know what "numerous times" means in numbers? Is it more than three, or more than four? We have a poster who has seen Bradley, Jr. misplay balls "numerous times", which refutes manager John's comments about how impressed he is with Bradley's instincts as a CF'er.

The way for Bradley to get better is to remember that spring training hitting is not AA hitting. Same for fielding. He needs to go back to AA and correct what he was doing wrong, there. Spring training means nothing, other than it shows a young player with no MLB experience needs to go back to AA or AAA and get more "seasoning". Numerous times, I have seen players MLB careers destroyed because they were started in MLB too early without enough minor league seasoning.

Yes, and you can't trust what "numerous" managers say about their "numerous" player's fielding. Jake has been praised for his defense "numerous times" by his manager, but we all know he has made "numerous" bad breaks on balls over each season. He even has won a Gold Glove like the great fielding SS Jeter has done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

BA rankings are amazingly accurate. Before making active roster decisions, it's critical that age and BA rankings and what other teams are doing with higher ranking palyers is the controlling factor in the roster decision. If one looks back at BA rankings, the story of ruining or establishing good MLB careers can be found.

No one ever said they were a factor, but it was stated that Boston is the only team that does not gsmble on their prospects.

Or are you stating Bradley is unfairly ranked?  Where should he hsve been?  Especially since you have seen maybe 0 of the players ranked ahead of him?  Or should he be upgraded from "prospect" to "sure thing"?  Is that your point?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Third week of April means he hits free agency a year earlier.  Before mid-June means an extra year of arb.

Thank you for providing your expertise on the CBA. So, if Bradley plays "third week of April", it means he hits FA a year earlier. And this has to be critical to Red Sox management in their frugal budget plans a half a decade or more from now. Ditto on the extra year of arbitration.

Thank goodness we have you and management doing this budget planning, while still making the Red Sox perform so well.

Its cute how you decided that Bradley would be your thing you get all mad about this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to notin's comment:

BA rankings are amazingly accurate. Before making active roster decisions, it's critical that age and BA rankings and what other teams are doing with higher ranking palyers is the controlling factor in the roster decision. If one looks back at BA rankings, the story of ruining or establishing good MLB careers can be found.

No one ever said they were a factor, but it was stated that Boston is the only team that does not gsmble on their prospects.

Or are you stating Bradley is unfairly ranked?  Where should he hsve been?  Especially since you have seen maybe 0 of the players ranked ahead of him?  Or should he be upgraded from "prospect" to "sure thing"?  Is that your point?

But Softy is an amazing scout, who is able to project a players abilities into the future from reading box scores.....I can't believe you are unaware of this. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Correct. It does matter a little.  Not much.

Thank you for pointing out where I'm correct.  

And me being present when I have seen Bradley misplay numerous fly balls has nothing to do with a managers assessment of his ability.

Glad you make that great point. Now, can you provide the approximate number of times you describe as "numerous", as well as just one example of how he "misplayed a fly ball". Thanks, in advance. 

Another year of me helping you wade through things you do not understand.  Another year of you becoming angry and being banned 4 to 5 times.

Another year of you helping me wade through "things" I don't understand. Another year of you becoming angry and being banned zero to zero times. Without a doubt, the owner of this site is fair and balanced and tolerant and even handed before making banning decisions. This must be a great source of pride in your life.

Happy spring

Yes, my dear intellectual giant of a friend, happy spring to you, too.

Good job. That was perfect.  As usual I didn't every try.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Its cute how you decided that Bradley would be your thing you get all mad about this year.

It's cute how you decided that Bradley would be your "thing" you get all mad about this year.

Last year, it was Aviles and Amos. 

I don't care if Bradley is on the team either way. I've said that quite a few times this thread. 

You though. You're mad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He happens to live near where Bradley plays, so he's all gah gah over this kid. And, he never heard rap music blaring from his wheels, so all's good.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Especially since you have seen maybe 0 of the players ranked ahead of him

Stooge, why the "maybe zero"?  I was complimenting you for pointing out how players ranked ahead of Bradley are "maybe all" playing minor league baseball. Take it easy.

THAT was your idea of a compliment?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.